Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zhivkom

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
Hey guys I'm trying to update or restore but keeps giving me a message the it can't do it because the firmware file is not compatible. What should I do?
I have an iPhone 5 GSm and the FW says iPhone5,1_6.1_10B143_Restore.ipsw

edgarf28

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2008
I'm on beta 4 and i'm not an official developer... only registred my UDID by someone.

since there isn't a OTA of beta 5, how can I update my iPad 3 (Wifi) to beta 5?
Has someone a download link to the .ipsw?

Daku93

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2010
Hey guys I'm trying to update or restore but keeps giving me a message the it can't do it because the firmware file is not compatible. What should I do?
I have an iPhone 5 GSm and the FW says iPhone5,1_6.1_10B143_Restore.ipsw

Let me guess: You have a European GSM iPhone which is the exact same one as the American CDMA model. -> Just try the iPhone5,2 file.

zhivkom

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
Let me guess: You have a European GSM iPhone which is the exact same one as the American CDMA model. -> Just try the iPhone5,2 file.

Yes, yo're right. Just realized that coma and european gsm are in one file, wich confused me... Darn it...I was waiting 2 hours to download the wrong ipsw... :mad:
I can't wait another 2 hours...

Last edited:

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
It's not working in Switzerland either, although the carrier bundle for Swisscom was upgraded from 13.0 to 14.0.

At this point I speculate on one of the following:
- this is not the GM, and the final version will contain newer carrier bundles (maybe 14.1 for Swisscom?)
- this is the GM, but LTE will be enabled for the missing European carriers separately, by rolling out the carrier bundle files (they did update carrier bundle files separately in the past)

Carrier Bundles are delivered over the air in a very easy manner, no need to put them in updates.

zaneliu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2013
Berkeley
iOS7 will definitely have updates but I'm not getting my hopes up at this point for anything really big since everything for Apple seems to be slowing down. If there is, then great! But I'm not looking for too much.

However, now that Mr. Ives is on the job, it's very possible that iOS7 will have HUGE UI design changes.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Baseband?

As a developer I have been using iOS 6.1 on all but one of my devices. Aside from iTunes poster artwork showing on the wrong movies via Home Sharing on my iPads (turning off home sharing and restarting on my iOS devices fixes it), the update has been pretty stable. I have read that this updates the iPhone baseband, can anyone confirm?

On the off-chance there is an A6 iPhone 5 JB, I don't want to update and be screwed. Thanks!

----------

I think iOS 7 will be some UI cleanup with iOS 8 being the overhaul

I'm thinking iOS X may be the overhaul ;)

Ryan Burgess

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2013
I think iOS 7 will be some UI cleanup with iOS 8 being the overhaul

If that's the case, I'm switching to android. I'm tired of waiting and waiting for apple, only to have release "nothing" updates.

Look at android, they're making progress, and at this rate will no doubt be ahead of iOS in the near future.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
If that's the case, I'm switching to android. I'm tired of waiting and waiting for apple, only to have release "nothing" updates.

Look at android, they're making progress, and at this rate will no doubt be ahead of iOS in the near future.

Nothing is stopping you from going to the store now and picking up a Droid....:rolleyes:

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009

Apple doesn't change for the sake of change, updates such as major UI overhauls (which Apple has never really done) are implemented if the change is necessary to improve overall functionality.

While I agree that some aspects to the iOS UI are dated, what are people expecting? It's an operating system for Apple mobile devices, overhauling it would be akin to overhauling a desktop OS. I don't expect every OS X.x update to be a completely different OS. Further, there are far more iOS developers who rely on a consistent OS for their apps/work, a radical change may require adaption/overhauls to their apps (sandboxing, etc).

Ryan Burgess

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2013
Nothing is stopping you from going to the store now and picking up a Droid....:rolleyes:

I'm not bashing apple. All I'm saying is where are the times when apple was the innovator? It seems like they are playing catch up now, not android.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Perhaps so.

Just looked at iOS version history in Wikipedia. The number of features pales in comparison to past software updates.....

iOS 6.1, the most mediocre software update ever.
Agreed. iOS6 is the first OS I had absolutely no interest in. I've got it on my iPad (lost my 5.1.1 JB for it - like a fool) and it seems like an utterly pointless update (for me). I'm still happily on a JB 5.1.1 on my wife's 4 and my 4S. My son's 3GS is still happily humming along on 4+.

6.1 looks to change non of that except if the coming JB is good, I may update my 4S to it and JB both that and my iPad.

Boy, won't it be a big disappointment if, after 6.1 drops, the JB devs still don't release this JB everyone's been buzzing about?

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Apple doesn't change for the sake of change, updates such as major UI overhauls (which Apple has never really done) are implemented if the change is necessary to improve overall functionality.

While I agree that some aspects to the iOS UI are dated, what are people expecting? It's an operating system for Apple mobile devices, overhauling it would be akin to overhauling a desktop OS. I don't expect every OS X.x update to be a completely different OS. Further, there are far more iOS developers who rely on a consistent OS for their apps/work, a radical change may require adaption/overhauls to their apps (sandboxing, etc).

We need toggles and maybe a few live widgets and better multitasking. (Chat window)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.