Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mchnc

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2012
As a designer I would choose a shell material with approximately same elastic characteristics as are for the display glass. Some plastic may be more feasible than aluminium. My L800 seems to bear a full grown man twist... I don't dare to try that on wife's 4S (yet not a 5)

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Explains why no one cracks their glass anymore.:rolleyes:
Also, when was it confirmed that gorilla glass is used in iPhone 5? If it is, then apple better get their money back...
Not exactly confirmed but gorillas website says other companies choose to remain anonymous basically.

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
I'm one in the camp that think these bending issues are a bunch of BS. As another poster pointed out -- if it does bend so easily as claimed -- why aren't there millions of people complaining about it?

To think that until now I've been extra careful about my iPhone 5 just in case it DID bend.. now I feel like a dolt.

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
Globe telecoms replaced my unit after seeing it. They said good thing I was able to see it since it's not noticable if you just look at it.

Ah, from the Philippines~!

----------

Yeah.. I never thought there was an issue about the iPhone being bent. I have all iPhone generation including the very first iPhone which is also built with aluminum materials, I always put it in front of my tight jeans' front pocket and it never bends.. I already warned my family about the issue including my friends and colleagues. And I hope all iPhone 5 soon to be owners in the whole planet.. I am dissapointed with Apple even if I'm a fan. ;(

The first iPhone was THICK. As in. The second one was PLASTIC, with a chrome rim, and so was the 3Gs. The iPhone 4 and 4s use a STAINLESS STEEL band, and that band is also thicker than the thin, aluminium band around the iPhone 5.

I've no doubt the iPhone 5 CAN bend... just not majestically. I also believe that it CAN come out of the box bent liek so -- as I've personally had to ship back my sister-in-law's white iPhone TWICE because they kept shipping us ones with nicks and other tell tale signs of overstressed Chinese workers having a huge duke-out at the Zhengzhou production plant.

Ooh.. speaking of which... I need to update that thread. Turns out despite the latest (and last) replacement coming out of the box with ZERO battery charge, the battery is doing well...

Itsdezzz

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
I too have a similar dilemma! I purchased my black iPhone 5 in mid December. Just the other day I had my phone in my front pocket while I was driving. When I took it out of my pocket later that day I noticed a crack by the lower volume button, and the screen was slightly convex as if it were bulging out towards me! My phone had obviouly been bent somehow, but it was never damaged in any other way. The phone itself still functions, however it's extremely annoying seeming as I just bought an otter box for it and now it doesn't even fit properly. Any suggestions???

tensiondeadache

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Southern California
I too have a similar dilemma! I purchased my black iPhone 5 in mid December. Just the other day I had my phone in my front pocket while I was driving. When I took it out of my pocket later that day I noticed a crack by the lower volume button, and the screen was slightly convex as if it were bulging out towards me! My phone had obviouly been bent somehow, but it was never damaged in any other way. The phone itself still functions, however it's extremely annoying seeming as I just bought an otter box for it and now it doesn't even fit properly. Any suggestions???

Same thing happened to me after three weeks of use. It bent in the same area (lower volume), and it looks like thats where the majority of iPhone 5's are bending. Mine still worked perfectly, the screen was not damaged, other than being bent. I took it to the Apple store, showed them, they exchanged it on the spot.

Itsdezzz

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
How strange is that?! Luckily you were able to get it replaced. I plan to go to the apple store tomorrow morning; hopefully they'll be able to replace mine as well.

ParagJain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Was just watching a documentary on discovery channel few days back showing How Things are Made stuff. They were showing some high end fishing rods made purely out of Aluminum. The qualities they tell is, light weight and very hard to bend.

Wonder, if the Alu used in iP5 is high end as well ??

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Was just watching a documentary on discovery channel few days back showing How Things are Made stuff. They were showing some high end fishing rods made purely out of Aluminum. The qualities they tell is, light weight and very hard to bend.

Wonder, if the Alu used in iP5 is high end as well ??

I have 2 aluminum rods on my fishing vessel and I can tell you they are NOT lighter. They are very durable and very stiff but about the same weight as a standard fiberglass rod and heavier than a carbon or kevlar high end rod.

I dun them with dipsies or inline boards for salmon.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
May be because you rammed your leg with your phone into your steering wheel.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Even if this person sat with the phone in their pocket and it bent, still take it back to Apple. This is normal use.
Why? B/c I've never paid attention to how I need to sit with a phone before this one, so why should the iphone 5 be any different? Let alone the single most expensive phone on the market, which the manufacturer itself willingly touts as being superior?

Sounds uncomfortable!

Prabas

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2010
Europe
So, about those bents. When was your iPhone manufactured?

Mine:

Factory: C32 - China

Year: 2012
Week: 49 (03.12 - 09.12)

2 days old - still not bent.

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
I'm one in the camp that think these bending issues are a bunch of BS. As another poster pointed out -- if it does bend so easily as claimed -- why aren't there millions of people complaining about it?

To think that until now I've been extra careful about my iPhone 5 just in case it DID bend.. now I feel like a dolt.

I think because most ppl have cases on their phones which help, AND they don't keep them in their back pocket, AND if they do bend, most would be ever so slightly where the customer would not notice, especially if its in a case.

From what i can tell, a bent phone still retains a flat screen.

I was going to buy a used ip5, and it looked new, but when I sized it up, it was bent at the volume button. I said no thanks and the missus selling it was horrified to see the bend.

mchnc

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2012
5 should be more durable than 4/4S, or should it? Someone could do a 'back pocket comparison test'.

Apple doesn't explicitely market 5 as more durable but they say things like: "But it’s nearly impossible to make a device so thin and so light without sacrificing features or performance."

If the 5 has to be handled even more carefully than 4S, then performance is indeed sacrificed.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
So glad I'm keeping my 4S .. and my $$ too :)

Oh wait, I'm not allowed to say that, right :eek:

Prabas

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2010
Europe
If you are careful, any phone will last long and may look like new. Personally, I have my iPhone 4 for 2.5 years now, and it has only 3 hair lines, which are impossible to see, you have to look at the phone carefully. Having said that, I got an insurance for my iPhone from my cellular operator (not US) for $10/month and it covers everything (even water, fire damage, screen shatter). So I am good to go :)

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
I think because most ppl have cases on their phones which help, AND they don't keep them in their back pocket, AND if they do bend, most would be ever so slightly where the customer would not notice, especially if its in a case.

From what i can tell, a bent phone still retains a flat screen.

I was going to buy a used ip5, and it looked new, but when I sized it up, it was bent at the volume button. I said no thanks and the missus selling it was horrified to see the bend.

Or the fact that this is a 1 in a million thing happening. My 5 is absolutely straight as an arrow. I've always used bumpers on my iPhones since the 4 but the 5 is such a nice design that I don't use a case on it 80% of the time. It's gets put in and out of my pocket everyday many many times. Goes with me on hikes and bike rides. In my pocket. If it were a weak design, I would've found out by now. But, it isn't.

Did you ever get a 5 or did you give up after reading this thread ?????

Prabas

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2010
Europe
Indeed, people said that the reception on iPhone 4 was bad. Never experienced it. People said that the screen had yellow spots, never experienced it, people said that camera produced violet color when pointed and bright light, again, never experienced it.

Last edited:

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Or the fact that this is a 1 in a million thing happening. My 5 is absolutely straight as an arrow. I've always used bumpers on my iPhones since the 4 but the 5 is such a nice design that I don't use a case on it 80% of the time. It's gets put in and out of my pocket everyday many many times. Goes with me on hikes and bike rides. In my pocket. If it were a weak design, I would've found out by now. But, it isn't.

Did you ever get a 5 or did you give up after reading this thread ?????

I did get a ip5, yes, and its not bent, but i don't wear it in my backpocket, and I have an aluminum bumper on it, so....

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
If you are careful, any phone will last long and may look like new. Personally, I have my iPhone 4 for 2.5 years now, and it has only 3 hair lines, which are impossible to see, you have to look at the phone carefully. Having said that, I got an insurance for my iPhone from my cellular operator (not US) for $10/month and it covers everything (even water, fire damage, screen shatter). So I am good to go :)

Sure .. but with iPhone 4 or 4S, people can be less careful and get less damage too over time.

But with the 5, well I don't personally own it, one of my friends does, and I can already see more scratches/scuffs on his compared to my 4S. And it's just 2 - 3 months old, and he is quite OCD about his stuff.

Taking good care of things only takes you so far, unless you're putting it in the box and not using it, the 5 is just so prone to scratches just like 3G/3GS was. More so than the 4 and 4S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.