Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:08 AM   #301
Boomish69
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhick01 View Post
Why? Just because you said so?

As long as Apple makes high-quality products and are very profitable...did Samsung net $13 billion profit from their telephone division?

Focus, a commitment to high quality and the creation of new markets has fueled Apple's growth.
Er no this is a forum so just my honest opinion, but also I feel it's quite an obvious fact! Samsung's huge success over the iPhone 5 is obviously not what Apple would like don't you think? and I think thats because they have stopped designing & taking risks and are just updating.

Samsung just posted record profits up 75% crushing Apple in iPhone sales..because they designed a more appealing phone than Apple- nuff said. They fact Apple make a huge profit from each phone doesn't exactly appeal to a lot of customers, it justifies their reason not to buy as it appears as an expensive rip off phone! This is the reason i get from friends I try to convince to buy an iPhone even though it's not that much more than a Galaxy.

Don't get me wrong I care about apples future I just don't get their current marketing at all, ...who really cares it's bloody thinner!
Boomish69 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:25 AM   #302
dmx3698
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
This what apple has lined up for future iPads?

You heard from me first, they will get rid of the edge of the ipad just like the gentlemen posted in the article. In 2015 apple will come out with a 11 inch tablet. The reason for this because if you measure out the inside of a hardback book from corner to corner it's 11 inches and 6 inches wide which is what the ipad is now.
dmx3698 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:06 AM   #303
olowott
macrumors 6502a
 
olowott's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dundee, UK
Send a message via MSN to olowott
rumours , i take in about 50% then open a free mind on the event day

I get disappointed when i tell friends that my new phone is just a camera upgrade
__________________
iPhone 5s 32gb SpaceGrey -- 2011 13" Macbook pr-- iPhone 4s 16gb -- iPAD 2 32gb
olowott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:22 AM   #304
TallManNY
macrumors 68020
 
TallManNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
They might make it a better camera, but bumping the specs to the 13 megapixels is not going to make for better pictures and it will make the pictures that are taken larger and more cumbersome to store and use. More mega pixels will also make the camera less effective in low light conditions, which is one of the biggest complaints of these types of little cameras. Going to 13 mega would be a stupid slide back to the mega pixel wars which Apple has correctly avoided playing since the iPhone debuted.
__________________
Mid-2011 3.1GHz i5 iMac (6970m); HP Spectre (Win 8.1)
BBRY Q10; iPhone 6; iPad Mini-R
Apple Stockholder (a nice dividend, stock buybacks and cutting edge innovation? yes please!)
TallManNY is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:21 PM   #305
Tomacorno
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
After having used the Lumia 920, I can honestly say that an improved camera on the iPhone would certainly be welcome. It's one of those things I didn't feel I cared about until I used it. Unfortunately with that specific device, software issues forced me to return it. From what I read, they have been ironed out, so I might just pick one up off contract again and see how I like it.
As many photographers say, "the best camera is the one you have with you."
Tomacorno is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:28 PM   #306
BlaqkAudio
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomish69 View Post
Can you actually read? samsung grew by over 129%, Apples growth fell, overall Smartphone sales are booming, yes they lost market share! Besides which the point is still valid, apple are stagnating over the iPhone design and these results would be a lot different had they continued to develop.
You do realize there are manufacturers other than Apple and Samsung? Just because Samsung's share grew doesn't mean Apple's shrank.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjon...-market-share/
__________________
2011 15" Macbook Pro, 2.0 GHz i7 (10.10.1); 64 GB VZW iPhone 6 (8.1.1); 32 GB iPad mini Wi-Fi (8.1.1)
BlaqkAudio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:56 PM   #307
Boomish69
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
You do realize there are manufacturers other than Apple and Samsung? Just because Samsung's share grew doesn't mean Apple's shrank.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjon...-market-share/
I said Apples GROWTH wasn't as much, not that it shrank at all...Samsung sold a ton of Galaxy S3's a lot more than they should have if Apple had produced a more competitive iPhone 5. It's just my opinion, millions are happy with theirs, so what do I know. I just think if they had improved the actual design of the 5 and IOS 6 with a large screen, they could have sold twice as many! Certainly here in the UK the S3 is by far the most popular smartphone.
Boomish69 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:30 PM   #308
BvizioN
macrumors 68020
 
BvizioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Manchester, UK
Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moccasin View Post
For those who don't have to buy every single new phone that they release, then I agree that the S iterations are often a better bet if you want to choose between one or the other. They tend to iron out some of the problems with the new generation.

With the 5S I'm hoping for:
- improved durability of the anodised coating
- greater LTE capability (the 5 can't handle a lot of the LTE networks in place around the world)
- better battery
- redesigns of any of the components that are keeping Apple Genius bars busy (a worthwhile investment to reduce the number of returns)
- wifi ac (think I'll be disappointed here if they release before October but still hoping)

I bought the 5 sim free in October but returned it because it wasn't enough of an upgrade from my 4 and wouldn't be able to work with most of the LTE networks being rolled out in the UK later this year.

I'm nursing my 2.5 year old iPhone 4 through the next few months and will probably buy the 5S as soon as I can if the features listed above are implemented.

Any other new features are a bonus but the list above is what I'm seeking.

I'm ambivalent about:
- better camera - I have a DSLR camera for when I want to take good pictures and current pictures are good enough for spontaneous photos
- wireless charging: unless it's charging overnight, I often want to use the phone while its charging. I don't want to carry a wireless charging pad around with me
-NFC - will need a year or two before its widely used as a payment mechanism by phone.
- larger screen

My brother's fiancée has had loads of problems with her S3 and is trying to get it replaced. Same problems with an iPhone and she would have been able to get a replacement in 10 minutes at an Apple store. O2 aren't willing to change her S3 though. For me, Apple's excellent customer care is worth a hell of a lot (returning a phone after 2 weeks for no penalty was brilliant) and as much of a reason to stay with them as my investment in the iOS/OSX ecosystem.
Yes, but there is always something to be iron out on the next version (regardless of it being S or a full version) There is always something upgraded and better on the next version.The difference is, one have noticeably changed design and the other (S version) doesn't. It's a matter of preferences. I have the iPhone 5 and i don't think there is anything they could do in the same shell to make me buy the S (except for a better battery life maybe but that on it's won is not a big reason for an upgrade, besides i find myself charging it only once in 24 hours, on the evening)
__________________
Born Albanian.
BvizioN is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:37 PM   #309
Ste Nova
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: LL22, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomish69 View Post
Certainly here in the UK the S3 is by far the most popular smartphone.
maybe in your social circle.... in mine its all iPhone
__________________
iP5/32 black unlimited tethered data, ip4/32 black, iPad3/32gbwifi black, 2 x iP3gs/32 black, nikon d7000 with eyefi , honda s2000, audi a6 le mans, defender 90
Ste Nova is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:14 PM   #310
Zwhaler
macrumors Demi-God
 
Zwhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
That's it? Prepare for disappoint.
__________________
2x2.93 24GB 280X 25TB 2x1TB 840EVO 2xUAD OCTO, Apollo, 4-710d
Check Out My YouTube Channel~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zwhaler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:13 AM   #311
Boomish69
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste Nova View Post
maybe in your social circle.... in mine its all iPhone
You obviously don't know many people According to everyones circle..well UK at least.
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/41...ne5-nexus4.htm

http://news.softpedia.com/news/GALAX...s-311576.shtml
Boomish69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:05 AM   #312
DaHood
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbplayer5 View Post
Boring OS = yawn. Look at Ubuntu, or even the new BB OS. They are so much more advanced...

iOS is too plain and boring.. heck my MOM uses it now.
That's the point, foolish child. If your idea of exciting and "advanced" is clunky and difficult to use, be our guest and move on. The rest of us will be content with our "boring" iOS, which is reliable and easy to use.
DaHood is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:09 AM   #313
Zerilos
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomish69 View Post
You obviously don't know many people According to everyones circle..well UK at least.
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/41...ne5-nexus4.htm

http://news.softpedia.com/news/GALAX...s-311576.shtml
You realize that both of those articles were written prior to the period of time where the majority of iPhone 5s were sold right? They also fail to acknowledge that when written the s 3 had been on the market for 10 months and the iPhone 5 just 3 months. I'm not even saying you're wrong, but those articles do not prove you to be right.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHood View Post
That's the point, foolish child. If your idea of exciting and "advanced" is clunky and difficult to use, be our guest and move on. The rest of us will be content with our "boring" iOS, which is reliable and easy to use.
Some people aren't happy unless their phone randomly reboots 3 times a day.
Zerilos is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:25 AM   #314
Zerilos
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomish69 View Post
Er no this is a forum so just my honest opinion, but also I feel it's quite an obvious fact! Samsung's huge success over the iPhone 5 is obviously not what Apple would like don't you think? and I think thats because they have stopped designing & taking risks and are just updating.

Samsung just posted record profits up 75% crushing Apple in iPhone sales..because they designed a more appealing phone than Apple- nuff said. They fact Apple make a huge profit from each phone doesn't exactly appeal to a lot of customers, it justifies their reason not to buy as it appears as an expensive rip off phone! This is the reason i get from friends I try to convince to buy an iPhone even though it's not that much more than a Galaxy.

Don't get me wrong I care about apples future I just don't get their current marketing at all, ...who really cares it's bloody thinner!
They beat Apple in sales largely on the strength of their lower cost low end smartphones. Apple still sells more iPhones than Samsung sells galaxy s models. I think Samsung is doing a lot of good things, and Apple could learn a thing or two from them but both companies are expected to see a slowdown in growth.
http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/201...tml?cmpid=yhoo
Zerilos is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:38 AM   #315
Ste Nova
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: LL22, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomish69 View Post
You obviously don't know many people According to everyones circle..well UK at least.
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/41...ne5-nexus4.htm

http://news.softpedia.com/news/GALAX...s-311576.shtml
90% of people in my office are on iphone, on my facebook most updates come from ios, no one posts bbm numbers anymore

also... http://www.flickr.com/cameras/
__________________
iP5/32 black unlimited tethered data, ip4/32 black, iPad3/32gbwifi black, 2 x iP3gs/32 black, nikon d7000 with eyefi , honda s2000, audi a6 le mans, defender 90
Ste Nova is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:12 AM   #316
nia820
macrumors 6502a
 
nia820's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerilos View Post
You realize that both of those articles were written prior to the period of time where the majority of iPhone 5s were sold right? They also fail to acknowledge that when written the s 3 had been on the market for 10 months and the iPhone 5 just 3 months. I'm not even saying you're wrong, but those articles do not prove you to be right.

----------



Some people aren't happy unless their phone randomly reboots 3 times a day.
I cant speak for the Uk. But being in the mid east iphones were seen the most. But now all I see are s3s and note 2s. Most of my co workers have dumped their iphones for samsung phones.

S series and notes are quite popular. And samsungs sales actually went up after iphone 5 was released.

And whos phone randomly reboots? I know sony xperia series had that problem but that was sonys problem not an android one.
nia820 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:55 AM   #317
CausticPuppy
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortpk View Post
13 MPixel sensor would be perfect for that! 4:3 ratio snapshots would be a tad over 4096X3072 which is just over 12.5 million pixels. 16:9 ratio video would use 4096X2304 (or 3840X2160).
Sounds good in theory, but do we really need to use all that bandwidth for Ultra-HD videos of peoples' cats?
__________________
2011 Mac Mini Server, 16 GB RAM, 256GB Crucial M4 SSD, 500GB HDD + 3TB NAS
Haswell rMBP 13" - i7/512GB
Mac Mini 1.83GHz Core2Duo, 3GB RAM, 60GB SSD
iPad Air/iPhone5S
CausticPuppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:17 AM   #318
Zerilos
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nia820 View Post
I cant speak for the Uk. But being in the mid east iphones were seen the most. But now all I see are s3s and note 2s. Most of my co workers have dumped their iphones for samsung phones.

S series and notes are quite popular. And samsungs sales actually went up after iphone 5 was released.

And whos phone randomly reboots? I know sony xperia series had that problem but that was sonys problem not an android one.
The s 3 has been experiencing sudden death. http://www.techradar.com/us/news/pho...-issue-1122854

While many other android devices crash for no reason (been well know going on for years my Android did it all the time). http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11...ewest-release/
Zerilos is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:08 PM   #319
nia820
macrumors 6502a
 
nia820's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerilos View Post
The s 3 has been experiencing sudden death. http://www.techradar.com/us/news/pho...-issue-1122854

While many other android devices crash for no reason (been well know going on for years my Android did it all the time). http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11...ewest-release/
i know tons of people with s3's and none of their phones have crashed. i've owned 2 android phones and that has never happened to me. but i can only speak from experience.

all products will have some lemons. i brought a macbook pro 13 back in july and the thing died on me after 2 weeks. thankfully the manager at the apple store gave me a new one but does that mean all macbook pro's have defects and that there are something wrong with them?
nia820 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:08 PM   #320
Razeus
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
My contract is up in May. There's a possibility of switching teams and carriers.
Razeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:44 PM   #321
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MushroomTip24 View Post
Not enough for me to replace my Iphone 5. Cmon Apple blow us away, Galaxy S4 rumors are way better.
i am continually amazed by the number of phone nerds who dont get it -- apple *doesnt* expect current-gen phone owners to upgrade on an annual cycle. thats pure insanity for most normal folks. only phone nerds upgrade annually. normal people do not....and thats who apple makes products for.
mdelvecchio is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:00 PM   #322
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68020
 
Liquorpuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: City of Angels
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelvecchio View Post
i am continually amazed by the number of phone nerds who dont get it -- apple *doesnt* expect current-gen phone owners to upgrade on an annual cycle. thats pure insanity for most normal folks. only phone nerds upgrade annually. normal people do not....and thats who apple makes products for.
how did you figure that?
__________________
Ableton 9 on a Surface Pro 3, APC40, Audiobox, Yamaha KX8, Roland V-Drums HD1 + Octapad, K-Pro, Rode NT1A, MPC1000, EWI, 1200-MK5, 06-Pro
Liquorpuki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:15 PM   #323
MushroomTip24
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: OC, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelvecchio View Post
i am continually amazed by the number of phone nerds who dont get it -- apple *doesnt* expect current-gen phone owners to upgrade on an annual cycle. thats pure insanity for most normal folks. only phone nerds upgrade annually. normal people do not....and thats who apple makes products for.
Might be weird question, but I had a Automotive teacher in HS named Mr. Del Vecchio is that you? LOL yes he was a complete D***.
MushroomTip24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:25 PM   #324
Jaro65
macrumors 68040
 
Jaro65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Send a message via Skype™ to Jaro65
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigres View Post
I am beginning to think the S versions are the skip versions now.
4s was good. Still using it.
__________________
rMBP | MBA | ACD | iPad | iPhone | ATV | iPods | Senn HD 650
Jaro65 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:32 PM   #325
Boomish69
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerilos View Post
You realize that both of those articles were written prior to the period of time where the majority of iPhone 5s were sold right? They also fail to acknowledge that when written the s 3 had been on the market for 10 months and the iPhone 5 just 3 months. I'm not even saying you're wrong, but those articles do not prove you to be right.[COLOR="#808080"]
lol you mean the month of December, as both of these report were from the start of December, no I think the S3 still outsold the iphone 5 in the UK, the S3 has now beat the iPhone 4s and the iPhone 5 with an S4 coming soon! I'm no Android fan but I'm not ignoring the fact the phone maybe cheap plastic Korean copy cat rubbish but it still looks a better overall design. If Apple had actually produced a proerp upgraded iPhone and OS I would have bought one as I think many others would.
Boomish69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Report Claims iPhone 6 Will Feature Curved Display, All-Aluminum Rear Shell MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 126 May 1, 2014 11:13 PM
iPad: iPad Air rear camera worse? Sparky2012 iPad 2 Nov 10, 2013 01:02 PM
iPad 5 Set for October Debut with Design Similar to iPad Mini? iPhone 5S and Lower-Cost iPhone Moving Forward MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 191 Feb 28, 2013 04:53 PM
iPhone 5 vs. iPad Mini FEATURE DIFFERENCES Turnpike iPad 4 Oct 26, 2012 04:30 PM
Sketchy Photos of Claimed 'iPad Mini' Rear Shell Show No Camera Hole MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 88 Aug 8, 2012 12:04 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC