Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:22 AM   #276
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Master View Post
They got the characters down though.
Yeah they did for the most part. The only one that was off (and by a long shot) was Ballmer. They played him as a very different person, completely ignoring his 'cave man' agressive style in meetings and his "I'm in charge" attitude.

Oh an d his sheer lack of common sense.
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:50 AM   #277
Drunken Master
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
Yeah they did for the most part. The only one that was off (and by a long shot) was Ballmer. They played him as a very different person, completely ignoring his 'cave man' agressive style in meetings and his "I'm in charge" attitude.

Oh an d his sheer lack of common sense.
Ballmer?

Crazy?

Drunken Master is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:45 AM   #278
A12A
macrumors newbie

Ashton Kutcher is no Steve Jobs!!!
A12A is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:59 AM   #279
Scarpad
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadin View Post
I like Ashton but this doesn't even come close to Noah Wyle's performance in Pirates. That other guy playing Wozniak is even worse...
Wyle's got Aliens to fight
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:06 AM   #280
zoozx
macrumors regular

Awful.
But when you consider whats successful on prime time TV and in the movie theaters, you have to realize they are playing to a majority of morons.
zoozx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:24 AM   #281
DaReal_Dionysus
Banned

Not impressed!! Won't be seeing that. Read Steve's Book and iWoz and the real picture.
DaReal_Dionysus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:31 AM   #282
niuniu
Banned

Quote:
Ballmer?

Crazy?

YouTube: video
That's amazing! Loads of stuff there I never saw before! Cheers
niuniu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:32 AM   #283
BornAgainApple
macrumors 6502

I'll wait for it to come out on DVD...um, I mean iTunes
BornAgainApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:32 AM   #284
Radio
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBoobsPro View Post
Its not quite a 'burn' now though is it?

Where did I say I don't use Flash?

Where are the immature ones that say 'burn' ?

Oh that's right they're here and they're MacRumors members - note the spelling!
I do what I want!
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:37 AM   #285
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Ballmer?

Crazy?

I really dont know why but whenever I look at him, all I can think of is a Goomba from the Mario movie!

rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:38 PM   #286
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

"How does somebody know what they want if they've never even seen it?"

I'm guessing it works roughly along the same lines as me knowing I don't want this movie despite never seeing it.
AngerDanger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:53 PM   #287
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Pie View Post

I'm guessing it works roughly along the same lines as me knowing I don't want this movie despite never seeing it.
But how do you know? That's what Fake Steve is trying to tell you!
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:16 PM   #288
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

We'll see how this turns out but Noah Wyle was pretty awesome in "Pirates..."

And the prophetic words "We're better than you are. We have better stuff". So true.

Most importantly, in "Pirates..." Jobs was a complete *******. Kind of critical in any portrayal.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:58 PM   #289
twigman08
macrumors 6502

Funny thing, I was about to watch Pirates of Silicone Valley again now and just now saw this was posted. I love that movie, for some reason it always seems to "inspire" me when I need some quick inspiration.
twigman08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:21 PM   #290
joejoejoe
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
Since this is more of a documentary I would pay more attention to the message rather than the acting skills, especially in this very small clip.
how exactly is a movie with actors and stages and studios and a script and producers anything like a documentary?

woz already came out and said this is all wrong. and even if it is supposed to be more informational (if that's what you intended to mean by calling it more of a documentary), acting is still important to get any message across in film. notice in docs the people are real, so the message can sing. bad acting just gets in the way of any message the filmmakers are trying to deliver.
joejoejoe is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:45 PM   #291
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoejoe View Post
how exactly is a movie with actors and stages and studios and a script and producers anything like a documentary?

woz already came out and said this is all wrong. and even if it is supposed to be more informational (if that's what you intended to mean by calling it more of a documentary), acting is still important to get any message across in film. notice in docs the people are real, so the message can sing. bad acting just gets in the way of any message the filmmakers are trying to deliver.
Please read all the thread posts before posting. I've already clarified my use of the word documentary.
HenryDJP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:33 PM   #292
rwiily
macrumors newbie

Jobs

I am going to the premier of JOBS at Sundance tomorrow. I'm actually pretty excited about it. I don't expect Ashton Kutcher's portrayal of Jobs to be at the level of Noah Wiley's, but it should still be fun and interesting.
rwiily is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:10 PM   #293
imageWIS
macrumors 6502a

Feels like a totally fake scene, especially if you have even a BASIC knowledge of computer history. The basis for the Apple I was not, I repeat NOT thought up during the Homebrew Club era. Period. It wasn't until Jobs got to take a peak at what Xerox was doing at PARC did the idea of copying the Xerox Star system and mouse (thus the GUI) enter his mind.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
We'll see how this turns out but Noah Wyle was pretty awesome in "Pirates..."

And the prophetic words "We're better than you are. We have better stuff". So true.

Most importantly, in "Pirates..." Jobs was a complete *******. Kind of critical in any portrayal.
Steve Jobs CLEARLY approved of Noah Wyle's portrayal:

http://youtu.be/TIClAanU7Os
imageWIS is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:29 AM   #294
MattInOz
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post
Feels like a totally fake scene, especially if you have even a BASIC knowledge of computer history. The basis for the Apple I was not, I repeat NOT thought up during the Homebrew Club era. Period. It wasn't until Jobs got to take a peak at what Xerox was doing at PARC did the idea of copying the Xerox Star system and mouse (thus the GUI) enter his mind.
LOL- Someone with a B.A.S.I.C knowledge of computer history should know difference between Apple I and Macintosh (early 1984).
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:43 AM   #295
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post
Feels like a totally fake scene, especially if you have even a BASIC knowledge of computer history. The basis for the Apple I was not, I repeat NOT thought up during the Homebrew Club era. Period. It wasn't until Jobs got to take a peak at what Xerox was doing at PARC did the idea of copying the Xerox Star system and mouse (thus the GUI) enter his mind.[COLOR="#808080"]

----------
Didn't the Lisa project include crude GUI elements prior to Xerox PARC?

It's true that Apple went full in with GUI after XEROX PARC, including more GUI elements with Lisa, then Mac, but I do recall reading that the Lisa had GUI elements during the very early stages as well. No mouse though.

Certainly not during the homebrew era.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:24 AM   #296
AnonMac50
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbytallant View Post
So thats what Hurley from LOST is doing now he got off the island
I knew I saw him somewhere...
AnonMac50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:21 AM   #297
imageWIS
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattInOz View Post
LOL- Someone with a B.A.S.I.C knowledge of computer history should know difference between Apple I and Macintosh (early 1984).
Are you reading impaired? The clip is about the Apple I. When did I mention the Macintosh?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
Didn't the Lisa project include crude GUI elements prior to Xerox PARC?

It's true that Apple went full in with GUI after XEROX PARC, including more GUI elements with Lisa, then Mac, but I do recall reading that the Lisa had GUI elements during the very early stages as well. No mouse though.

Certainly not during the homebrew era.
That's my point.
imageWIS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:19 AM   #298
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Yep. That has just confirmed my suspicions. It's gonna be crap.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:26 PM   #299
joejoejoe
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
Please read all the thread posts before posting. I've already clarified my use of the word documentary.
It's not my job to read every single post before I add my own.

When someone calls this movie a documentary, I have a right to call that absurd.

That said, I did go back and find your post clarifying your misjudged usage of documentary, and I still stand by everything I wrote in response to you. This movie is about the message, bad acting gets in the way of that message. Ashton Kutcher will sell tickets, sure. It's a business after all and the producers want to make money. But people here are more concerned with Jobs' legacy, the message, etc etc etc, and it seems like none of those things are being triumphed here.
joejoejoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:12 PM   #300
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoejoe View Post
It's not my job to read every single post before I add my own.

When someone calls this movie a documentary, I have a right to call that absurd.

That said, I did go back and find your post clarifying your misjudged usage of documentary, and I still stand by everything I wrote in response to you. This movie is about the message, bad acting gets in the way of that message. Ashton Kutcher will sell tickets, sure. It's a business after all and the producers want to make money. But people here are more concerned with Jobs' legacy, the message, etc etc etc, and it seems like none of those things are being triumphed here.
This is my final post towards you and this thread anyway because what you wrote is unnecessary.

It is very much "your job" to read through the thread thoroughly if you're going to take the time correcting people so you don't end up looking foolish. And since you felt the need to call my post absurd, check out the awesome grammar in your above post.
HenryDJP is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion