Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwfc0907

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
Bolton, UK
I've sold a 2012 MacBook Air. Need to remove everything from it so its as originally bought.
I used Cmd R and erased everything but it wants me to reinstall the operating system with my Apple ID?
Is this correct? Or how do I make as was when originally bought?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
As far as I can tell the AppleID is only used for the install, when that is finished and the new User starts up the Air it will start with a clean startup without your AppleID.

Thors.Hammer

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2012
I've sold a 2012 MacBook Air. Need to remove everything from it so its as originally bought.
I used Cmd R and erased everything but it wants me to reinstall the operating system with my Apple ID?

Using an Apple ID for OS X installation is not required.

You can boot the MBA, repartition and format the disk, then install OS X from scratch across the network.

See http://support.apple.com/kb/PH10763

That article assumes the recovery partition is already present. If you really nuke the disk, the OS X installation process will first download and create a new recovery partition, then install from that.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

If you reinstall the OS then you can shut it down after that. When the new owner opens it up, it will go through the setup routine as if it were new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.