Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:10 PM   #26
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
Yes, Skitch should work fine for this. As an alternative, if you have another Mac on your network, you should be able to use Screen Sharing to take the screen capture from the remote computer. If not on the same network, you can use TeamViewer to do the same thing from a Mac or Windows PC.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2012, 06:47 PM   #27
Sedulous
macrumors 65816

Just use VLC. I really hate the bullcrap copyright holders push on users.
Sedulous is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:18 PM   #28
DF0
macrumors newbie

VLC and Skitch didn't work ---
DF0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:43 PM   #29
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF0 View Post
VLC and Skitch didn't work ---
Then please state the Mac OS X and iTunes version and what trailer (what film) you tried it with?
Otherwise it is only guessing, unless you do not want help and just stated a fact?
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:50 PM   #30
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagle View Post
Is there anyway to capture a screenshot of a streaming movie, or iTunes trailer played on your mac? I've tried using Grab, Shift, Command and 3 and quicktime screen recording, but always end up with the movie portion being blanked out. I assume its because of protected video settings?
Shift, Command and 3 won't work, but Shift, Command and 4 does.
2012Tony2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:52 PM   #31
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Tony2012 View Post
Shift, Command and 3 won't work, but Shift, Command and 4 does.
Look at the date of the thread and how it continues and why it was resurrected almost a year later.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:29 PM   #32
LV426
macrumors 6502

DRM-enabled movies, i.e. the vast majority purchased on iTunes, appear to be blocked when it comes to taking screen grabs in Mountain Lion. Since this happens at a low level under control of the operating system, it's extremely unlikely that you'll find any kind of app or command shortcut for Mountain Lion that will take screen grabs of this kind of movie.

People who say this works or that works are most likely talking about movies that are not protected by DRM.

I have to say that I find this to be extremely annoying, since I often take screen grabs from movies for review or discussion purposes (which I understand falls well within fair use policy). This is a million miles from copying a movie. Needless to say, I don't take such screen grabs on my Mac on Mountain Lion, because I can't.

Luckily other ways remain. Whilst highly inconvenient, you can still take such screen grabs (today at least) on an iPad.

In my opinion, Apple should drop this stupid restriction, as it's not really doing anything to protect anyone's rights; it's just an inconvenience for film buffs.
LV426 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:32 PM   #33
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
People who say this works or that works are most likely talking about movies that are not protected by DRM.
Or people saying this works are using an earlier version of Mac OS X, when this did work. You can still accomplish the same thing by making a screen capture from Screen Sharing or other remote desktop app.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:47 PM   #34
bandarbush
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
In my opinion, Apple should drop this stupid restriction, as it's not really doing anything to protect anyone's rights; it's just an inconvenience for film buffs.
I regret that I have but only a single upvote to give you. You're legal analysis is spot on. I would add that a screen cap of any film is undoubtedly fair use, particularly when you add something to it like a funny comment (ie parodying the film).
bandarbush is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store