Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:30 AM   #1
martinchivers
macrumors regular

iPhone 5 touch not very responsive.

My new phone is driving me nuts. The touch screen doesn't appear to be as good as my old 3G. When navigating, I find myself getting frustrated by its lack of movement. Something's tapping away or sliding finger around to no response. So fed up with this, I am currently advertising the phone for sale. It's useless for playing games As the input simply doesn't respond. Has anybody else experiencing problems with their iPhone five?
martinchivers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:29 AM   #2
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinchivers View Post
My new phone is driving me nuts. The touch screen doesn't appear to be as good as my old 3G. When navigating, I find myself getting frustrated by its lack of movement. Something's tapping away or sliding finger around to no response. So fed up with this, I am currently advertising the phone for sale. It's useless for playing games As the input simply doesn't respond. Has anybody else experiencing problems with their iPhone five?
Why don't you try taking it back for a replacement? It's obviously defective if it's not responding to your touch. Who in their right mind is going to buy a phone that is not responsive to touch?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:43 AM   #3
onthecouchagain
Banned

Definitely experienced this with two separate iPhone 5's. Sometimes, requiring 3 taps to finally launch an app.

Also experience this with my iPad, too. The app icon will gray out (meaning it got my tap) but the app won't launch until I second, sometimes third tap.

Maybe it's iOS 6?
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:15 AM   #4
martinchivers
macrumors regular

I didn't "buy" it as such. It came as an ipgrade, but you are right. I will ring tomorrow and try to get a replacement. It does work, something's not right though as its internitantly misbehaving.

The email "ding" is slow too. Coming maybe one minute after the actual email.

I haven't been able to get the emails working properly either. It will not send. Receives ok, but again it's a pain in the arse as often I want to reply immediately! But have to wait til I'm at work.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:28 AM   #5
SingularityG
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Definitely experienced this with two separate iPhone 5's. Sometimes, requiring 3 taps to finally launch an app.

Also experience this with my iPad, too. The app icon will gray out (meaning it got my tap) but the app won't launch until I second, sometimes third tap.

Maybe it's iOS 6?
I have not experienced this on any of my devices running iOS 6. Have you tried calling ?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:35 AM   #6
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I didn't "buy" it as such. It came as an ipgrade
No, I didn't mean why did you buy it like that. I meant, who would buy it from you like that?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:40 AM   #7
martinchivers
macrumors regular

Yeh. I did understand. But I didn't explain myself. I meant I didn't buy it from a shop. I got it on upgrade. But still, if its not right, it ought to be replaced.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:16 PM   #8
Bahroo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
No problems here, much more responsive then all my previous iPhones...have you tried a hard reset?

Try a restore if that doesnt work. If not get a replacement idk what else to tell you..my i5 is perfectly fine
Bahroo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:56 PM   #9
martinchivers
macrumors regular

Done a hard reset numerous times. No joy. Restore...no, I'll loose everything (apart from stuff backup up on iTunes) (correct?)
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:22 PM   #10
Goodeye
macrumors 6502a

Doing a backup makes an image of your current iPhone state. (Apps data EVERYTHING) if you do a restore from backup your phone should go right back the way it was with your apps and data.
Goodeye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:05 PM   #11
andyx3x
macrumors 65816

My iPhone 5's screen was definitely not as responsive as the one on my 4S. It wasn't horrible, but there was clearly a difference.

I ended up selling my iPhone 5 and going back to the 4S. The main problem I had was extremely slow downloading times with apps and music over wifi. I couldn't duplicate it in the Apple Store so they wouldn't replace my phone.

I'm happy with the 4S until the 5S comes out where I'm sure they will address all these issues.
andyx3x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:22 PM   #12
abz1981
macrumors 65816

your touching it wrong
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:42 PM   #13
Furifo
macrumors 6502

Are you restoring from the iPhone 3G backup? Back everything up on iTunes and try setting it up as a new iPhone and see if that fixes the issues.

I've heard that sometimes old backups can cause problems. I know you don't want to lose everything but as long as you have it all backed up, there's no harm in trying your iPhone as a fresh, new iPhone. it may help you deduce whether the problems you're having are software related or hardware related.
Furifo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:03 PM   #14
unagimiyagi
macrumors 6502a

I've noticed the same thing. There are temporary "dead" spots that aren't there on my iphone 4. I chalk it up to igzo tech and first generation stuff. No manufacturer is immune to teething problems and Apple is no exception. The igzo display is thinner and more power efficient, but all in all it just prevented battery life from getting worse, but I do not notice any improvement in the battery vs the iphone 4. The touch is also worse.
unagimiyagi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:20 PM   #15
Zaft
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by unagimiyagi View Post
I've noticed the same thing. There are temporary "dead" spots that aren't there on my iphone 4. I chalk it up to igzo tech and first generation stuff. No manufacturer is immune to teething problems and Apple is no exception. The igzo display is thinner and more power efficient, but all in all it just prevented battery life from getting worse, but I do not notice any improvement in the battery vs the iphone 4. The touch is also worse.
it's actually an incell touch display not igzo
Zaft is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone