Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:19 AM   #1
araje
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Which Bluetooth for Car Aux- connecting to IPhone5

Well so I am looking at using Bluetooth to aux connectors just so that I can cut the cord between my iPhone and the car aux connector. I had rented a Camry on my business trip and it sounded surprisingly great even with its Bluetooth. I thought the Bluetooth might reduce the sound quality but didn't.

These are the two that I short listed.
1. Samsung HS3000
2. Griffin technology Bluetrip Aux.

Out of these the HS3000 supports ATP-X codec which should provide high quality Bluetooth audio and no loss of quality.
I think iPhone 5 also supports ATP-X.

Any review comments please.
Thanks.
araje is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:10 AM   #2
1080p
macrumors 68000
 
1080p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
Well so I am looking at using Bluetooth to aux connectors just so that I can cut the cord between my iPhone and the car aux connector. I had rented a Camry on my business trip and it sounded surprisingly great even with its Bluetooth. I thought the Bluetooth might reduce the sound quality but didn't.

These are the two that I short listed.
1. Samsung HS3000
2. Griffin technology Bluetrip Aux.

Out of these the HS3000 supports ATP-X codec which should provide high quality Bluetooth audio and no loss of quality.
I think iPhone 5 also supports ATP-X.

Any review comments please.
Thanks.
Why would bluetooth reduce sound quality? It is digital. It should sound the same or better than plugging it into an AUX jack from the headphone port.
__________________
2012 Mac Mini Quad Core i7 | 10.10 Yosemite Public Beta| iPhone 4S (interim) | Synology NAS
"There will be no 5.5" iPhone 6." - Prediction by 1080p
1080p is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:21 PM   #3
araje
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
Why would bluetooth reduce sound quality? It is digital. It should sound the same or better than plugging it into an AUX jack from the headphone port.
Yes I would have hoped so, but probably I had a very horrible one before since it never sounded as good as the wired connection to aux.
The built in one in my rental car was just awesome. That's why I am looking at buying one - but don't have an intergrated one in the car.
araje is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:15 PM   #4
Satnam1989
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Illinois
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
Yes I would have hoped so, but probably I had a very horrible one before since it never sounded as good as the wired connection to aux.
The built in one in my rental car was just awesome. That's why I am looking at buying one - but don't have an intergrated one in the car.
I recently upgraded my cars factory Stereo (its a 01 Camry) with a Sony BT-2800 (older unit) but it works great and only cost me $50 on kijiji. It supports Aux and best of all Bluetooth, I keep my iPhone 5's BT on all the time now and as soon as I enter my car, my Phone is auto paired and ready to play audio, phone calls etc.

For me that was a cheaper solution as installation and wiring harness were cheap as well ($30 for dash kit+wiring harness).

I would suggest if you don't need to use that bluetooth clip thing outside of your car to just get a Single Din- Sony BT-xxxx series stereo. Mine I thought wouldnt be that great because of the microphone being built into the faceplate but to my surprise the sound quality is great as I have yet to hear from anyone that they cant hear me.

Most new Sony BT-xxxx series come with external microphone which can be mounted on the windshield and its pretty tiny but supposedly provides better audio quality. Anyway try it out see if it floats your boat
Satnam1989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:13 PM   #5
takeshi74
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
Why would bluetooth reduce sound quality? It is digital. It should sound the same or better than plugging it into an AUX jack from the headphone port.
Not quite. "Digital" isn't a guarantee of quality. My cable TV service & my movies on Bluray are both digital but the latter beats the former in image quality. It seems that you're assuming that BT is lossless, not susceptible to interference, etc.

Have you actually used SBC (used by A2DP) or aptX and compared them to wired or are you just speculating? Here's one person's impression (the first hit I ran across Googling "bluetooth audio quality"):
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57...udio-vs-wires/

Last edited by takeshi74; Jan 24, 2013 at 03:34 PM.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:37 PM   #6
hrv888
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Try tunelink auto by new potato and tell me how it works. I'm really curious about that and I'm in Canada so I can't test it out.
hrv888 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:55 PM   #7
1080p
macrumors 68000
 
1080p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
Not quite. "Digital" isn't a guarantee of quality. My cable TV service & my movies on Bluray are both digital but the latter beats the former in image quality. It seems that you're assuming that BT is lossless, not susceptible to interference, etc.

Have you actually used SBC (used by A2DP) or aptX and compared them to wired or are you just speculating? Here's one person's impression (the first hit I ran across Googling "bluetooth audio quality"):
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57...udio-vs-wires/
I have Bluetooth and aux in my car. The sound actually sounds better via Bluetooth.
1080p is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:36 PM   #8
L-Tuned
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I have XtremeMac InCharge Bluetooth Audio Receiver which is very similar to Griffin technology Bluetrip Aux. It was only $15 and works like a charm. Plus it can also charge the iPhone in case of emergency.
L-Tuned is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:14 PM   #9
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Looking for a BT receiver supporting AVRCP so I can have some minimal iPhone control, ideally via a steering wheel attachment.

Seen any?
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:23 PM   #10
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a
 
bohbot16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
I have the Griffin Bluetrip and it works well with my iPhone 5.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:42 PM   #11
araje
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Tuned View Post
I have XtremeMac InCharge Bluetooth Audio Receiver which is very similar to Griffin technology Bluetrip Aux. It was only $15 and works like a charm. Plus it can also charge the iPhone in case of emergency.
Great that's good to know.
I don't know the cost justification of Griffin. But I just know that griffin products are available in apple stores so maybe that's the price tag I guess.
Does anyone know if griffin Bluetrip has apt-x codec since it is supposed to be one of the best in streaming music and providing lossless stream.
araje is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:04 PM   #12
lulla01
macrumors 68000
 
lulla01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S
Send a message via AIM to lulla01
http://store.apple.com/us/product/H2...in-car-adapter


You want this, I have it and i LOVE it
lulla01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:58 PM   #13
L-Tuned
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
Great that's good to know.
I don't know the cost justification of Griffin. But I just know that griffin products are available in apple stores so maybe that's the price tag I guess.
Does anyone know if griffin Bluetrip has apt-x codec since it is supposed to be one of the best in streaming music and providing lossless stream.
keep in mind that the quality of the music is also depends on your in-car speakers. I doubt you would tell much of difference unless you have the B&O. Just my $.02
L-Tuned is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:05 AM   #14
apunkrockmonk
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
I have the Samsung hs3000 and I am pleased with the quality. I leave it in my car plugged into the car's aux input.
__________________
iPhone 5 Black 32GB T-Mobile
iPad Mini 2 Black 32GB T-Mobile
Hackintosh i5 4GHz|24GB|7TB
MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz|8GB|256GB
apunkrockmonk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best bluetooth receiver for car audio/aux input? spinedoc77 iPhone Accessories 26 Apr 22, 2014 06:18 PM
Car Dock with Aux? dikiem iPhone Accessories 2 Aug 8, 2013 10:28 AM
Connecting iPhone 5 to aux car input bcoops iPhone 4 Jan 29, 2013 04:48 PM
Car adapter with AUX cable? edk iPhone Accessories 6 Nov 17, 2012 01:12 AM
iPod in Car using FM and Aux rsherid iPod touch Accessories 0 Jul 3, 2012 05:39 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC