Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:20 PM   #51
mchnc
macrumors member

As a designer I would choose a shell material with approximately same elastic characteristics as are for the display glass. Some plastic may be more feasible than aluminium. My L800 seems to bear a full grown man twist... I don't dare to try that on wife's 4S (yet not a 5)
mchnc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:20 PM   #52
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrg02d View Post
Explains why no one cracks their glass anymore.
Also, when was it confirmed that gorilla glass is used in iPhone 5? If it is, then apple better get their money back...
Not exactly confirmed but gorillas website says other companies choose to remain anonymous basically.
vastoholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:50 AM   #53
theanimaster
macrumors 6502

I'm one in the camp that think these bending issues are a bunch of BS. As another poster pointed out -- if it does bend so easily as claimed -- why aren't there millions of people complaining about it?

To think that until now I've been extra careful about my iPhone 5 just in case it DID bend.. now I feel like a dolt.
theanimaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:05 AM   #54
theanimaster
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronneil View Post
Globe telecoms replaced my unit after seeing it. They said good thing I was able to see it since it's not noticable if you just look at it.

Ah, from the Philippines~!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronneil View Post
Yeah.. I never thought there was an issue about the iPhone being bent. I have all iPhone generation including the very first iPhone which is also built with aluminum materials, I always put it in front of my tight jeans' front pocket and it never bends.. I already warned my family about the issue including my friends and colleagues. And I hope all iPhone 5 soon to be owners in the whole planet.. I am dissapointed with Apple even if I'm a fan. ;(
The first iPhone was THICK. As in. The second one was PLASTIC, with a chrome rim, and so was the 3Gs. The iPhone 4 and 4s use a STAINLESS STEEL band, and that band is also thicker than the thin, aluminium band around the iPhone 5.

I've no doubt the iPhone 5 CAN bend... just not majestically. I also believe that it CAN come out of the box bent liek so -- as I've personally had to ship back my sister-in-law's white iPhone TWICE because they kept shipping us ones with nicks and other tell tale signs of overstressed Chinese workers having a huge duke-out at the Zhengzhou production plant.

Ooh.. speaking of which... I need to update that thread. Turns out despite the latest (and last) replacement coming out of the box with ZERO battery charge, the battery is doing well...
theanimaster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:06 AM   #55
Itsdezzz
macrumors newbie

I too have a similar dilemma! I purchased my black iPhone 5 in mid December. Just the other day I had my phone in my front pocket while I was driving. When I took it out of my pocket later that day I noticed a crack by the lower volume button, and the screen was slightly convex as if it were bulging out towards me! My phone had obviouly been bent somehow, but it was never damaged in any other way. The phone itself still functions, however it's extremely annoying seeming as I just bought an otter box for it and now it doesn't even fit properly. Any suggestions???
Itsdezzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:23 AM   #56
tensiondeadache
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsdezzz View Post
I too have a similar dilemma! I purchased my black iPhone 5 in mid December. Just the other day I had my phone in my front pocket while I was driving. When I took it out of my pocket later that day I noticed a crack by the lower volume button, and the screen was slightly convex as if it were bulging out towards me! My phone had obviouly been bent somehow, but it was never damaged in any other way. The phone itself still functions, however it's extremely annoying seeming as I just bought an otter box for it and now it doesn't even fit properly. Any suggestions???
Same thing happened to me after three weeks of use. It bent in the same area (lower volume), and it looks like thats where the majority of iPhone 5's are bending. Mine still worked perfectly, the screen was not damaged, other than being bent. I took it to the Apple store, showed them, they exchanged it on the spot.
tensiondeadache is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:01 PM   #57
Itsdezzz
macrumors newbie

How strange is that?! Luckily you were able to get it replaced. I plan to go to the apple store tomorrow morning; hopefully they'll be able to replace mine as well.
Itsdezzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:40 AM   #58
ParagJain
macrumors 6502

Was just watching a documentary on discovery channel few days back showing How Things are Made stuff. They were showing some high end fishing rods made purely out of Aluminum. The qualities they tell is, light weight and very hard to bend.

Wonder, if the Alu used in iP5 is high end as well ??
ParagJain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:02 AM   #59
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParagJain View Post
Was just watching a documentary on discovery channel few days back showing How Things are Made stuff. They were showing some high end fishing rods made purely out of Aluminum. The qualities they tell is, light weight and very hard to bend.

Wonder, if the Alu used in iP5 is high end as well ??
I have 2 aluminum rods on my fishing vessel and I can tell you they are NOT lighter. They are very durable and very stiff but about the same weight as a standard fiberglass rod and heavier than a carbon or kevlar high end rod.

I dun them with dipsies or inline boards for salmon.
MuddyPaws1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:24 AM   #60
eelw
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsdezzz View Post
May be because you rammed your leg with your phone into your steering wheel.
eelw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:01 AM   #61
mchnc
macrumors member

DIY bent frame fix:
http://youtu.be/SDwO6H8ORzw

be careful not to snap it at volume button hole (on video @04:55)

Last edited by mchnc; Jan 27, 2013 at 04:09 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:27 AM   #62
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by unagimiyagi View Post
Even if this person sat with the phone in their pocket and it bent, still take it back to Apple. This is normal use.
Why? B/c I've never paid attention to how I need to sit with a phone before this one, so why should the iphone 5 be any different? Let alone the single most expensive phone on the market, which the manufacturer itself willingly touts as being superior?
Sounds uncomfortable!
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:55 AM   #63
Prabas
macrumors 6502

So, about those bents. When was your iPhone manufactured?

Mine:

Quote:
Factory: C32 - China

Year: 2012
Week: 49 (03.12 - 09.12)

2 days old - still not bent.
Prabas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:15 AM   #64
walmartmartyr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanimaster View Post
I'm one in the camp that think these bending issues are a bunch of BS. As another poster pointed out -- if it does bend so easily as claimed -- why aren't there millions of people complaining about it?

To think that until now I've been extra careful about my iPhone 5 just in case it DID bend.. now I feel like a dolt.
I think because most ppl have cases on their phones which help, AND they don't keep them in their back pocket, AND if they do bend, most would be ever so slightly where the customer would not notice, especially if its in a case.

From what i can tell, a bent phone still retains a flat screen.

I was going to buy a used ip5, and it looked new, but when I sized it up, it was bent at the volume button. I said no thanks and the missus selling it was horrified to see the bend.
walmartmartyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:43 AM   #65
mchnc
macrumors member

5 should be more durable than 4/4S, or should it? Someone could do a 'back pocket comparison test'.

Apple doesn't explicitely market 5 as more durable but they say things like: "But it’s nearly impossible to make a device so thin and so light without sacrificing features or performance."

If the 5 has to be handled even more carefully than 4S, then performance is indeed sacrificed.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:41 AM   #66
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030

So glad I'm keeping my 4S .. and my $$ too

Oh wait, I'm not allowed to say that, right
iSayuSay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:46 AM   #67
Prabas
macrumors 6502

If you are careful, any phone will last long and may look like new. Personally, I have my iPhone 4 for 2.5 years now, and it has only 3 hair lines, which are impossible to see, you have to look at the phone carefully. Having said that, I got an insurance for my iPhone from my cellular operator (not US) for $10/month and it covers everything (even water, fire damage, screen shatter). So I am good to go
Prabas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:01 AM   #68
BHP41
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmartmartyr View Post
I think because most ppl have cases on their phones which help, AND they don't keep them in their back pocket, AND if they do bend, most would be ever so slightly where the customer would not notice, especially if its in a case.

From what i can tell, a bent phone still retains a flat screen.

I was going to buy a used ip5, and it looked new, but when I sized it up, it was bent at the volume button. I said no thanks and the missus selling it was horrified to see the bend.
Or the fact that this is a 1 in a million thing happening. My 5 is absolutely straight as an arrow. I've always used bumpers on my iPhones since the 4 but the 5 is such a nice design that I don't use a case on it 80% of the time. It's gets put in and out of my pocket everyday many many times. Goes with me on hikes and bike rides. In my pocket. If it were a weak design, I would've found out by now. But, it isn't.

Did you ever get a 5 or did you give up after reading this thread ?????
BHP41 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:04 AM   #69
Prabas
macrumors 6502

Indeed, people said that the reception on iPhone 4 was bad. Never experienced it. People said that the screen had yellow spots, never experienced it, people said that camera produced violet color when pointed and bright light, again, never experienced it.

Last edited by Prabas; Jan 27, 2013 at 02:31 PM.
Prabas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:01 PM   #70
walmartmartyr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP41 View Post
Or the fact that this is a 1 in a million thing happening. My 5 is absolutely straight as an arrow. I've always used bumpers on my iPhones since the 4 but the 5 is such a nice design that I don't use a case on it 80% of the time. It's gets put in and out of my pocket everyday many many times. Goes with me on hikes and bike rides. In my pocket. If it were a weak design, I would've found out by now. But, it isn't.

Did you ever get a 5 or did you give up after reading this thread ?????
I did get a ip5, yes, and its not bent, but i don't wear it in my backpocket, and I have an aluminum bumper on it, so....
walmartmartyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:28 PM   #71
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabas View Post
If you are careful, any phone will last long and may look like new. Personally, I have my iPhone 4 for 2.5 years now, and it has only 3 hair lines, which are impossible to see, you have to look at the phone carefully. Having said that, I got an insurance for my iPhone from my cellular operator (not US) for $10/month and it covers everything (even water, fire damage, screen shatter). So I am good to go
Sure .. but with iPhone 4 or 4S, people can be less careful and get less damage too over time.

But with the 5, well I don't personally own it, one of my friends does, and I can already see more scratches/scuffs on his compared to my 4S. And it's just 2 - 3 months old, and he is quite OCD about his stuff.

Taking good care of things only takes you so far, unless you're putting it in the box and not using it, the 5 is just so prone to scratches just like 3G/3GS was. More so than the 4 and 4S.
iSayuSay is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone