Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:44 PM   #1
Chris354354
macrumors newbie

iPad not charging when plugged into wall

When I plug my ipad into the wall, it will not charge, however when I plug it into my computer it will charge. It's the charger that came with the ipad, but even though the ipad will not charge with it, when I plugged an iphone in it, the iphone started to charge.
Is there a problem with the charger, or the ipad, and how can I fix this?
Chris354354 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:59 PM   #2
Zotaccian
macrumors 6502a

If you shut down the iPad and plug in the charger, does the iPad react? I'm only familiar with iPad mini, but I guess that it possible that the charger cannot provide enough power to charge iPad, it might be damaged because of age. I've had one laptop charger which was unable to charge battery if the machine was used at the same time, it caused the laptop to switch back and forth between ac power and battery. Charger wasn't to suppoy enough power even though it was the right one according to specs.
Zotaccian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:30 PM   #3
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris354354 View Post
When I plug my ipad into the wall, it will not charge, however when I plug it into my computer it will charge. It's the charger that came with the ipad, but even though the ipad will not charge with it, when I plugged an iphone in it, the iphone started to charge.
Is there a problem with the charger, or the ipad, and how can I fix this?
you are certain is it a 10w or 12w charger and not an old ipod charger (which looks the same). If so, then it's very possibly a fault in the charger. the iphone uses a lower wattage so that could be why it's fine.

I would make a bar appointment and take the iPad, charger and cable in so they can test all three and be sure it's just the charger. if it is and you are under warranty still on the ipad they will hook you up for free. be sure to back up your stuff before you go just in case it is the ipad that is the issue
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting