Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:03 AM   #1
vladobizik
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Slovakia
iPad mini short battery life (is there a standardized battery test?)

I have had an iPad mini for about three weeks now and I have a very subjective feeling its battery life is very disappointing. I'm trying to rationalize and refute this subjective feeling, but with no success so far. I switched to the mini from a 3rd Gen iPad which is notoriously the most battery-hungry and it seems the mini lasts much less with doing exactly the same tasks I always do on an iPad - web, email, facebook, music in the background, and occasional gaming. I know that 3D games drain the battery really fast but to me it seems as if the battery drained as quickly when performing "standard" tasks. I also mostly use 100% screen brightness in daylight, and although I realize that that drains the battery a lot, I did the same on the Retina iPad and it lasted much longer still. Today I started using the iPad just before 11 o'clock, now it's 2 PM where I'm located and the battery is at 40% (100% brightness, using just Music, Safari, Mail, WiFi only). Is it normal? Is there an objective test that I can do with the iPad and compare the battery performance with some sort of a reference? I have been searching for something like that but to no avail. I'll be very thankful for any help and comments.
vladobizik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:43 AM   #2
michaelsviews
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Huh?

If your having problems with it than why not take it back to the apple store you bought it from or ship it back if bought on line?
michaelsviews is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:47 AM   #3
vladobizik
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Slovakia
Yeah, I'm thinking about doing that next week. I just wanted to ask to rule out any possibility it's my fault and not the device's.
vladobizik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:29 PM   #4
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030
 
HazyCloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
It's definitely your brightness. I have mine always at 50% or lower and I recently was at 7% with 15 hours usage and 5 days of standby. My iPad mini gets the most use out of the battery than any of my other iPads have.
__________________
If you have a question about my post, quote me so I am notified and can easily reply to you.
HazyCloud is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:03 PM   #5
vladobizik
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Slovakia
It's strange, but on my iPhone I'm always at 50% brightness (or even way below) unless I'm in very bright sunlight and it looks great to me but on iPads, most of the time anything below 100% seems too dark to me, all the smudges and fingerprints are visible, etc. I think I have to "reset" my brain and eyes. Tomorrow I'll try to set the brightness slider on the iPad mini halfway down and see how long the battery lasts then. I'll post my results.
vladobizik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:21 PM   #6
PDE
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Mine is at 50% brightness and it goes down almost exactly 10%/hour with mixed usage of safari, mail, youtube, ebooks etc
PDE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:42 AM   #7
bursthead
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladobizik View Post
It's strange, but on my iPhone I'm always at 50% brightness (or even way below) unless I'm in very bright sunlight and it looks great to me but on iPads, most of the time anything below 100% seems too dark to me, all the smudges and fingerprints are visible, etc. I think I have to "reset" my brain and eyes. Tomorrow I'll try to set the brightness slider on the iPad mini halfway down and see how long the battery lasts then. I'll post my results.
Did you restore from your ipad 3 backup. I was having issues with my mini when i had restored from my ipad 3 backup. My ipad would freeze and crash constantly. After restoring and setting it up as a new ipad, it fixed all my problems. Try that before you head to the apple store.
__________________
Current as of 6/13/2013: Verizon Note 3,White iPad Air 16gb ATT. Sony Xperia Z Ultra. Z10 ATT. Proud unlimited iPad ATT Data Plan Owner & Verizon Unlimited Data User.
bursthead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:15 AM   #8
vladobizik
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Slovakia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bursthead View Post
Did you restore from your ipad 3 backup. I was having issues with my mini when i had restored from my ipad 3 backup. My ipad would freeze and crash constantly. After restoring and setting it up as a new ipad, it fixed all my problems. Try that before you head to the apple store.
Funny you should mention that. Yes, first I restored it from my iPad 3 backup and I indeed ended up with issues, it ran slowly and occasionally froze and some apps ran weird (such as GTA Vice City, which had a completely messed up UI). So I wiped the mini (using iTunes, so the software gets completely overwritten) and set it up anew. The issues indeed disappeared, save the perceived battery problems, that is.

But I'm getting closer to a conclusion that it really is because of my excessive brightness. I'm now at 50% with auto brightness turned on, have been using it constantly for over an hour (including a 23 minute FaceTime call) and I'm at 90%. Which is fine, isn't it?
vladobizik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:42 PM   #9
bursthead
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladobizik View Post
Funny you should mention that. Yes, first I restored it from my iPad 3 backup and I indeed ended up with issues, it ran slowly and occasionally froze and some apps ran weird (such as GTA Vice City, which had a completely messed up UI). So I wiped the mini (using iTunes, so the software gets completely overwritten) and set it up anew. The issues indeed disappeared, save the perceived battery problems, that is.

But I'm getting closer to a conclusion that it really is because of my excessive brightness. I'm now at 50% with auto brightness turned on, have been using it constantly for over an hour (including a 23 minute FaceTime call) and I'm at 90%. Which is fine, isn't it?
Are you on the 6.0.2 update? I heard there are battery issues with this update.
http://www.cultofmac.com/207099/ios-...-battery-life/

I mentioned before in another thread. I'm running the old grandfathered verizon LTE plans and I have a slingbox. I have had my slingbox app running on Lte for over 6-8 hrs of streaming on the mini before I hit 10%. That is with max brightness.

One of the reasons I chose my ipad mini was the battery life. It felt like a downgrade on usability going to the ipad 3 from the ipad 2 (unfortunately the retina made it worth it). I hope you resolve the issue with your mini.
__________________
Current as of 6/13/2013: Verizon Note 3,White iPad Air 16gb ATT. Sony Xperia Z Ultra. Z10 ATT. Proud unlimited iPad ATT Data Plan Owner & Verizon Unlimited Data User.
bursthead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:47 PM   #10
charlituna
macrumors G3
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
have you ever let the ipad drain all the way down until it shuts itself off. If not then it could be a calibration issue.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad mini retina's battery life pote2639 iOS 7 10 Feb 18, 2014 05:47 PM
iPad Mini: What's your iPad Mini with Retina battery life solosdk iPad 3 Nov 26, 2013 05:42 PM
iPad Mini: How's the battery life like for iPad Mini? xEnOnn iPad 89 Apr 21, 2013 08:32 AM
iPad Mini: Impressive iPad mini battery life WealthyBigPenis iPad 2 Feb 2, 2013 02:11 PM
iPad Mini: Is anyone else stoked about the battery life on the ipad mini? Jacoblee23 iPad 8 Nov 1, 2012 09:52 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC