Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Hello Macrumors,
I bought a release day iPhone 5 from my friend (traded an iPhone 4, Asus Tablet and $60), I just noticed today that there is dust under the camera lens, as well as backlight bleeding in the upper right corner. I have attached images of both problems, my question is, would Apple see this as a reason to replace? This does not have AppleCare+, so the phone support is out, is there anyway to still get it for free, and also, the phone was dropped coming out of the box on Sept 21st (I remember him texting me saying that the suction had caused it to come out) Would this affect them replacing it, I don't think that the two problems are related? Also, I want to know if you think its worth replacing it too?

Attachments

• DSC_0353.jpg
    DSC_0353.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 368
  • DSC_0350.jpg
    DSC_0350.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC_0359.jpg
    DSC_0359.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
It is still under the 1 year so take it in to an Apple store and see what they say.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
But we can't know whether or not the store will actually replace it. It's best to go to the store and find out first hand. Is there not one nearby?

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
But we can't know whether or not the store will actually replace it. It's best to go to the store and find out first hand. Is there not one nearby?

People on here make pretty good guesses from experience, its not the fact that I am close to one, i just don't have the time to go there and back, along with all the waiting. Another thing I want to know is if people think its worth replacing too.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Another thing I want to know is if people think its worth replacing too.

That can only be determined by you. Not us. Why is it so difficult to figure out if something bothers you enough to try and do something about it?

You said people make good guesses. That's all they are. Guesses.

Only you can determine if you want to replace it. Only the apple store will know if they'll actually replace it.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
That can only be determined by you. Not us. Why is it so difficult to figure out if something bothers you enough to try and do something about it?

You said people make good guesses. That's all they are. Guesses.

Only you can determine if you want to replace it. Only the apple store will know if they'll actually replace it.

I normally base my decision off what I hear from other people, thats why I want to hear others opinions, if you do not want to give an opinion, don't reply to my post.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
I normally base my decision off what I hear from other people, thats why I want to hear others opinions, if you do not want to give an opinion, don't reply to my post.

The dust is not under the camera lens, it's under the crystal lens cover. The odd speck of dust will have no effect whatsoever on any photos you take. As the iPhone is not hermetically sealed, it is possible for the ingress of dust. This is obviously what has happened in your case. Once it has adverse effects on your photos, take it to your local Apple store and they'll clean it.

There's nothing wrong with soliciting other peoples opinions, however, eventually you'll have to learn to make your own decisions. :)

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
The dust is not under the camera lens, it's under the crystal lens cover. The odd speck of dust will have no effect whatsoever on any photos you take. As the iPhone is not hermetically sealed, it is possible for the ingress of dust. This is obviously what has happened in your case. Once it has adverse effects on your photos, take it to your local Apple store and they'll clean it.

There's nothing wrong with soliciting other peoples opinions, however, eventually you'll have to learn to make your own decisions. :)

I knew that it was in the cover, probably entered thought the mic. If the camera could be cleaned I am still left with the backlight bleed, thanks for helping me make my desision!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.