Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ecofriend

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2012
Using the cloud requires data and I have a 64gb iPhone 5 and only have 6gb of space available. Some people have more media than others...

When I say I use iTunes in the cloud, it means I delete apps when I don't need them, knowing they will be in the cloud for me to download at home when I want them. I don't need to keep all my movies on my phone because I can really only watch one on any given day, without getting distracted. I don't have iTunes Match, and I don't download over data. For someone with 1000+ songs, they might need some more space, but at that point they really should look into an iPod classic, and keeping their songs on there, with their favorites also on their iPhone. I'm just saying that apple is not likely to release a 128gb iPhone. Maybe in ipad, maybe an iPod, but iPhones are expensive enough as is, and they will not want to produce a phone that is not going to sell many units. I also believe we will be looking at a $600 subsidized, $1050 unsubsidized price tag.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
nope not at all. I just think it's funny that you go on here and try and tell people that they're wrong. You must live a sad life. How's your moms basement?

On the contrary, just disputing those that have a problem with people wanting more storage based on their own needs and observations.

----------

But constantly swapping stuff on and off your device is a pain. Plus it’s nice to always have it all there.
+1
Exactly

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
I've never seen the need for 128 gb. I have a 32 gb iPhone 5 and I still haven't used all the space, despite an hd movie, 400 songs, 1000+ pictures and a ton of apps. 128 seems like overkill, especially with iTunes in the cloud.

More likely candidate is the large HD iPad.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I've never seen the need for 128 gb. I have a 32 gb iPhone 5 and I still haven't used all the space, despite an hd movie, 400 songs, 1000+ pictures and a ton of apps. 128 seems like overkill, especially with iTunes in the cloud.

Ugh, with as crappy as cell towers are? I hate "the cloud". It's a server. I'd much rather not have my music randomly skip or buffer, or eat away at my ridiculously limited bandwidth cap. Plus, 128GB is not a huge amount by any means. Hell, 32 should have been made the standard on the basic model a long time ago.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
+1
Thank you

People who can't fill up a 16gb or 32gb device don't need a smartphone, a feature phone would suit them just fine.

I'm not filling up 32GB. Please tell me what non-smart phone I can buy that will allow me to do the following:

Tag songs on the radio and buy them on the spot

Take good quality pictures and HD video, and be able to text them and/or upload them to FB from the device

Email

Web browse

Find the nearest redbox and reserve a movie

Find new places to eat out that I have not tried yet. Particularly important if I'm on travel.

Turn-by-turn directions

Be able to use as a music player

Access Netflix

Scan bar-codes to get immediate reviews and prices for products I'm about to purchase.

Tether my laptop

There's a lot more I do with my iPhone, but I'll stop there.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
When I say I use iTunes in the cloud, it means I delete apps when I don't need them, knowing they will be in the cloud for me to download at home when I want them. I don't need to keep all my movies on my phone because I can really only watch one on any given day, without getting distracted. I don't have iTunes Match, and I don't download over data. For someone with 1000+ songs, they might need some more space, but at that point they really should look into an iPod classic, and keeping their songs on there, with their favorites also on their iPhone. I'm just saying that apple is not likely to release a 128gb iPhone. Maybe in ipad, maybe an iPod, but iPhones are expensive enough as is, and they will not want to produce a phone that is not going to sell many units. I also believe we will be looking at a $600 subsidized, $1050 unsubsidized price tag.

i'll go to a Galaxy S3 before i pay that much for an iphone

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I agree. All 128Gb is for lazy disorganized people, who don't archive their s41t. Seriously, organize and clean up your stuff and 32 or 64 is by far enough. But heh, flash is cheap, unless it's Apple flash.

Really?

What about those of us who do organize and clean up our stuff, but it's still bigger than {16GB/32GB/64GB/128GB/<arbitrary>GB}?

My music libray is around 440GB - even a 512GB device will be out-of-space in a year or so.

Why should I have to constantly shuffle albums from my library to my handheld?

haincha

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
I would be pretty excited if they ditched the 16/32/64 lineup and upgraded me to a 32/64/128. I wouldn't purchase the 128, but I would rather have a 64GB iPhone than my 32GB version at the cost of a 32GB. My phone is nearly always full, I have a handful of apps I have to have, then I rotate out games, music, movies, etc. It would be nice to not have to rotate and keep more things at my fingertips.

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Send me an IM when the 512 GB model comes out.... Or one with an SD slot so that I can carry a number of 128 GB SD cards with my music albums.

Or how about a USB 3.0 port so that I can connect a 6 TB RAID array with my videos?

;)

My real point is that for any fixed capacity point, that point will be too small for some people. External expansion is the answer.

And why not magical T-Bolt - it's not getting any traction so far.

The solution to your problem is the Seagate Wireless Plus.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I agree. All 128Gb is for lazy disorganized people, who don't archive their s41t. Seriously, organize and clean up your stuff and 32 or 64 is by far enough. But heh, flash is cheap, unless it's Apple flash.

And 16GB is for mouth-breathers who only play Angry Birds all day. See what I did there? It's called a stupid generalization (and a false one at that).

How could anyone possibly argue against getting an increase in space at what will probably be no additional cost?

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
I'm not filling up 32GB. Please tell me what non-smart phone I can buy that will allow me to do the following:

Tag songs on the radio and buy them on the spot

Take good quality pictures and HD video, and be able to text them and/or upload them to FB from the device

Email

Web browse

Find the nearest redbox and reserve a movie

Find new places to eat out that I have not tried yet. Particularly important if I'm on travel.

Turn-by-turn directions

Be able to use as a music player

Access Netflix

Scan bar-codes to get immediate reviews and prices for products I'm about to purchase.

Tether my laptop

There's a lot more I do with my iPhone, but I'll stop there.

I basically said the same thing. The ability or desire to fill up a smartphone doesn't determine need.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

As noted by @iNeal and iDownloadBlog, the new iOS 6.1 Beta 5 released yesterday contains a reference suggesting that Apple may be looking to offer 128 GB iOS devices in upcoming generations.

The reference to a 128 GB capacity comes as part of SystemPartitionPadding key in the build manifest associated with the release and is not found in publicly available versions of iOS.

While the observation does not mean that a 128 GB iOS device is definitely coming later this year, this is not the first time in recent months that Apple has hinted at future 128 GB iOS devices. iTunes 11, released in late November, contains a graphic corresponding to a mobile device with a capacity of 128 GB, although no such device has been released so far.

Article Link: iOS 6.1 Beta 5 Code Hints at Upcoming 128 GB Devices

Now all they need to do is offer a few more colors, and a little more customization on the iOS. It took them forever to allow us to change the wallpaper, how about now allowing us to move icons all over, or add widgets, and I assume next iPhone which might be the 5S, should offer better CPU maybe more ram, and make the base 32GB for 199, considering we never see 32GB user space, make it the default. They should have just allowed a micro sd card slot, I do not see the danger in it, especially since the iOS is locked and you can not download apps from somewhere else unless Jailbroken

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
Finally if this is true! I can't wait. My iPad 64gb and my iPhone 64gb are low in memory already from all my music and apps. Can't wait.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
While the observation does not mean that a 128 GB iOS device is definitely coming later this year, this is not the first time in recent months that Apple has hinted at future 128 GB iOS devices. iTunes 11, released in late November, contains a graphic corresponding to a mobile device with a capacity of 128 GB, although no such device has been released so far.

I guess these articles are written for the greater readership. Of course there's been no 128GB device yet, iTunes was released *after* they announced their Christmas lineup. The next refresh won't come for a few more months. How can they top their current lineup other than increase capacity???

----------

Finally if this is true! I can't wait. My iPad 64gb and my iPhone 64gb are low in memory already from all my music and apps. Can't wait.

The one downside of insane amounts of storage space is that application developers can sometimes become complacent in writing small, efficient applications. Bloating can creep into apps...

redfirebird08

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
128 gig iPod Touch. Been waiting many years for that. Still haven't bought an iPod Touch because of the storage issue.

msandersen

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Just because they may introduce 128Gb on one or two devices, it does not mean across the board; for instance it may be an iPad thing, and not on the iPod/iPhone, or it may be a new go at their Apple TV "hobby" to perhaps introduce built-in PVR functionality or at the very least finally introduce 3rd party apps and local temporary storage.
If people wanna play their racing games on their 42" LCD TVs using their iPhone/iPod/iPad as a controller, why not? Currently you can airplay one device, but for multiple players, why can't the games run on the Apple TV?

Unless Apple starts to get serious, the encroaching SmartTVs and Microsoft's XBox will take all the air out of the Streaming Media and Movies On Demand market. They need a new edge. One strength is their iOS ecosystem, and so far they have failed to capitalise on it on Apple TV. I'm about to get a new TV from an old analog one; it will be a Samsung SmartTV that can play DivX files from USB and you can plug a hard drive into, so whereas before I was considering an Apple TV for streaming, with this what is the need? Especially as Apple refuse to support anything but MPEG4 (AVC/H.264).

Last edited by a moderator:

LagFighter

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
Nashville, TN
Will probably be the iPad if anything - I doubt the phones are ready to support that capacity. Though, I would be pleasantly surprised to see it in the 5S (without the price increasing from the current 64 GB model, of course) since I've been waiting for one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.