Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:41 PM   #1
JSmoove05
macrumors 6502

Trying to upgrade my cousins ipad 2

She is in version 4.3 and she wants me to update her ipad 2 to the latest 6.01. How do I go about going doing this without losing all her purchased apps songs send photos. If anyone can please help that would be great.
JSmoove05 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:46 PM   #2
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

You need to make sure having a backup via iTunes of her iPad to be ready in case a restore is required. Does she has a PC/Mac with iTunes ?
If I remember correct iCloud came with 5.0 so that way for a backup is not an option.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app. doessizematter ?
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:48 PM   #3
JSmoove05
macrumors 6502

I don't think she does that's why she wants me to update it for her.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:55 PM   #4
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Then ask her to agree to make a backup on your machine ... She could even type a password if she likes ; you could deleted the backup after nothing happen during upgrade.
Would not do without ...

Once the upgrade is done enable iCloud backup for her
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app. doessizematter ?
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:07 PM   #5
JSmoove05
macrumors 6502

Yes but I believe I did back it up but that doesn't. Back up purchases , songs etc.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:50 PM   #6
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmoove05 View Post
Yes but I believe I did back it up but that doesn't. Back up purchases , songs etc.
Backups dont back up the purchases themselves just the fact that you had that item loaded on the device. Same with iCloud. You would have to have transferred the items into the itunes library. Also note that it doesn't back up synced items either. I know photos that were synced into the ipad for sure aren't in the backup, same with synced music. Contracts it might but I wouldn't count on it.

The ideal way of doing it is to set up a separate user account on the computer, back it up while syncing contracts etc as well as transferring purchases. Then do the upgrade. It should do a second backup in the process but it's always best to have a manual one just in case. Then once you have iCloud it never hurts to back it up to that and then restore the whole thing and bring back the iCloud backup to make sure there's no corrupted user data that could bork things (the stuff that goes bork tends to not get backed up to iCloud from what I can tell).

If you've already done the back up and upgrade and there are missing purchases you can redownload them for free from the appropriate store.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:09 PM   #7
JSmoove05
macrumors 6502

So what I should do is create a new user account on the imac and back up the ipad and transfer the purchases to the itunes??? How would i get the music and photos on the ipad again after I restore??
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:19 AM   #8
JSmoove05
macrumors 6502

anyone???
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:16 AM   #9
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmoove05 View Post
So what I should do is create a new user account on the imac and back up the ipad and transfer the purchases to the itunes??? How would i get the music and photos on the ipad again after I restore??
Google "copy from ipad to computer." Pick a program that you like. Use it to copy music and photos to your computer. Restore iPad. Sync music and photos back using iTunes.

And if your cousin values her music and photos, she should get a computer where she can keep them backed up.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting