Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

View Poll Results: Do you think iOS 7 will be a "new" direction for iOS? Or just..another iOS
Yes 92 38.02%
No 150 61.98%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:35 AM   #76
TriJetWhite
macrumors newbie

I want to be suprised. Lean towards updating the lockscreen with gadgets etc and please, suprise us.

TriJetWhite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:15 PM   #77
ithinkimalion
macrumors member

Unfortunately I feel like everything will be the same.
ithinkimalion is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:51 PM   #78
BvizioN
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeegieMac View Post
Mate, with the utmost respect, I don't want bombarded with links with "proof". Why is it on this site that people bombard others when they don't agree with their opinion? That's not a slight against you personally, but just in general.

I've owned every iPhone since the iPhone 3G, but I really regret not checking out the S3 before I signed on the dotted line. iOS is stale, sure it's gorgeous and fluid to use, but it needs ... something.

The demo unit had six home screens, one with widgets and the rest with full pages of apps, and the swiping between home screens was very, very fluid. No lag or stuttering, but then again the 4S doesn't lag on iOS 6 either.

I'd also like to point out that I never said the S3 screen was "the best", to use the words of your accusation. Another MacRumors trait, is that rule number 243? "Thou Shalt Put Words In Ones Mouth"?

I said the display on the S3 is more vibrant and has better contrast than the 4S, and the screen looked more colourful and vibrant the the 5 at full brightness. Using my 4S side by side, at full brightness, was painful. Opening apps was extremely fast on the S3, and the only thing I DIDN'T like about the S3 was the build quality. It feels woefully cheap in comparison due to the materials used to build it.

I don't care about brand loyalty, I just feel that the time is coming to make a change and a platform I too once derided and ridiculed on these very pages in the past has actually impressed me upon me giving it a chance.
I agree with absolutely every word you said. The screen on GS 3 looks amazing but as you said, the build quality is not so great. I would have gotten S3 last year, however it felt like i was going to do the same mistake i did when i went from iPhone 4 to GS2. That is one thing i still regret. Maybe it was android OS, maybe it was the phone itself. Buggy as ******! I learned a lesson on a hard way! If you got something that works and you are happy with it, don't let it go. Kept the S2 for 6 month and then I sold it on eBay.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:29 PM   #79
Redjericho
macrumors 6502a

If there's one thing apple hates, it's change.
Redjericho is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:45 PM   #80
kas23
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redjericho View Post
True, but as displayed by the Forstall boot, they're not absolutely opposed to it.

I don't expect a complete overhaul, that will take over a year and may be seen in iOS 8, but I fully expect to see some obvious changes.
kas23 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:08 PM   #81
MattInOz
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redjericho View Post
Apple Loves change...
... as long as they are driving it.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:56 PM   #82
Ammo
macrumors regular

I think iOS 7 will be the biggest update yet.

I think 3GS support and the fact that the iPhone 4 is single core really held back iOS 6.

iOS 7 may not be supported on iPhone 4 (which may anger recent iPhone 4 owners) in order to take advantage of dual core processing. At least that's my guess.
Ammo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:12 PM   #83
Redjericho
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammo View Post
I think iOS 7 will be the biggest update yet.

I think 3GS support and the fact that the iPhone 4 is single core really held back iOS 6.

iOS 7 may not be supported on iPhone 4 (which may anger recent iPhone 4 owners) in order to take advantage of dual core processing. At least that's my guess.
I would assume it already does take advantage of dual cores on devices that have them, it would be silly to only use one.

As far as iPhone 4 support, it's a very safe bet to say that iOS 6 will be its final major update, heck, the iPad first gen has nearly identicle specs, and that doesn't even support 6!
Redjericho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:21 PM   #84
lamina
macrumors 68000

With Jony now in charge of hardware and software, I think we'll see a lot more consistency throughout the OS.

I can even foresee a black iPhone having a different (themed) interface than the white one. With Jony at the helm of user interface design, I really think we'll see the OS realize its true potential. I can't wait to see what they come up with.
lamina is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:19 PM   #85
chrisrosemusic1
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to chrisrosemusic1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamina View Post
With Jony now in charge of hardware and software, I think we'll see a lot more consistency throughout the OS.

I can even foresee a black iPhone having a different (themed) interface than the white one. With Jony at the helm of user interface design, I really think we'll see the OS realize its true potential. I can't wait to see what they come up with.
I seriously hope you're right because I am so bored of icons and folders

Some nice animations or animated wallpapers, hell, just SOME customisation above 10 ring tones would be great. Let me have my phone as I want it.

The only reason I haven't gone Android is the build quality and materials aren't as good as iPhone. That and I find apps are more stable on iOS.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:22 PM   #86
lulla01
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to lulla01
It seems like they are milking the ability to introduce such small improvements and generate hype. The OS is stale, the bugs took the once great and reliable OS and put it just one step above other phones when before it was a whole other level. This is just my opinion.
lulla01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:53 PM   #87
ethana
Banned

iOS 7 will NOT be a radical shift. It's just too late for that since the move to Ive.

iOS 8 on the other hand probably will be a big shift. But Apple has been slow lately and it may be too late by the time iOS 8 comes out.

Honestly, Apple needs to be updating their OS quickly... like every 3 months.
ethana is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:55 PM   #88
techishi
macrumors member

While I do agree on the point that Apple could use some new features and UI revamp. Yes, Jony Ive is seeing over Scott Forstall's old position, and I'm sure we'll see good things come out of it (nixing of skeuomorphism around iOS comes to mind). I just think that iOS 7 is too soon of an iteration for Ive to have any true influence on it (I think his significance will/should hit hard with iOS 8).

But as far as developing in general goes, I think Apple is somewhat scared to make really big changes. Think about it, they're timid iterations keep generating insane iPhone/iPad/etc. sales, so why change the way it works? You have to remember that only a small user base reads/posts on these forums, let alone tech forums across the web. We are in fact a small minority, Apple is there to keep all their customers happy, not just us... No wonder why we all care about this JB so much . Things in iOS are changing, just not at the pace that I (we) would like it to.

Just my two cents.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:43 AM   #89
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Nope. We'll still see static iCons and multiple pages for apps. We'll see some feature added to the Mail.app, as if people really need to do something special with email that we've been waiting for over the last 20 years. We'll see "faster", Siri doing more things, and a weather app that won't display the current temperature simply by looking at it. Apple really needs to bang out OS updates every 6 months, at least to maintain the appearance of having the latest and greatest features compared to other smartphones.

Last edited by Razeus; Jan 28, 2013 at 10:51 AM.
Razeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:15 PM   #90
bushido
macrumors 603

being able to add unlimited apps in one folder would be REVOLUTIONARY

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7