Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:51 PM   #26
6mtg37s
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
You know Apple sells unlocked phones.
Yes, I rather pay 300 for a iPhone than 800, since I pay for AT&T service and have been for over 7 years..

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannnnn View Post
I suppose you want torrenting copyrighted TV shows to be legal, too.
I pay for my 2 year contract and the devise price, I should have the right to have it unlocked for those 3 weeks a year I spend in Europe. I don't see anything wrong with that. I'm not for torrenting btw, people should actually pay for media..

----------

If you guys want to keep your phones locked for the first 2 years, don't sign the petition! But then again someone mentioned its pointless anyways..
6mtg37s is offline   0
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:58 PM   #27
wxman2003
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mtg37s View Post
Yes, I rather pay 300 for a iPhone than 800, since I pay for AT&T service and have been for over 7 years..

I pay for my 2 year contract and the devise price, I should have the right to have it unlocked for those 3 weeks a year I spend in Europe. I don't see anything wrong with that. I'm not for torrenting btw, people should actually pay for media..[COLOR="#808080"]
Let me guess, the minute you got back from Europe, you would call AT&T and tell them to lock your phone. When you have someone else pay for your device, you follow their rules. When you buy a house with a bank loan, you are required to buy insurance. You pay for the house with your cash, you don't. Don't mix rights with feeling entitled.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:04 AM   #28
bonskovsky
Banned

Quote:
As of yesterday the government decided to ban unlocking of phones, even after your contract is done. This is not right and the government should not be the one telling us how to use our phones.
Who cares if its illegal. I'm going to do it anyway. It's my phone! Plus I bought it unlocked.

Last edited by maflynn; Jan 28, 2013 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Removed deleted text from quote
bonskovsky is offline   1
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:21 AM   #29
Myiphone7
Banned

It never fails to astonish me how unbelievably stupid some people are.

Why would ANYONE want something that could potentially benefit them be taken away?

Even if you don't care whether or not locking or unlocking is illegal, why would you want it to be?

Unlocking could possibly be useful to you in the future, or certainly to a friend, relative, child of yours, etc. so why would you WANT it to be illegal?

Why would you want less options?

Just plain idiots. And if the mod wants to suspend me for saying that I'll take it in stride. People need to hear it.
Myiphone7 is offline   1
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:31 AM   #30
wxman2003
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myiphone7 View Post

Why would ANYONE want something that could potentially benefit them be taken away?

Even if you don't care whether or not locking or unlocking is illegal, why would you want it to be?

Unlocking could possibly be useful to you in the future, or certainly to a friend, relative, child of yours, etc. so why would you WANT it to be illegal?

Just plain idiots. And if the mod wants to suspend me for saying that I'll take it in stride. People need to hear it.
I agree, they should all be unlocked from the start. A simple FCC regulation requiring the phone manufacturers sell their phones unlocked with all US LTE bands would make it an even playing field for all. But since the FCC has no balls, we have are stuck with these carrier agreements,
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:40 AM   #31
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
I agree, they should all be unlocked from the start. A simple FCC regulation requiring the phone manufacturers sell their phones unlocked with all US LTE bands would make it an even playing field for all. But since the FCC has no balls, we have are stuck with these carrier agreements,
Thank you. I honestly despise the way mobile carriers are able to operate. They take away 1 thing at a time.

Before you know it you won't have balls because AT&T made it illegal to use them.
Myiphone7 is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:10 AM   #32
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by macingman View Post
If someone actually believes that these petitions would change legislation than they are very stupid.
Um, you'll feel all stupid when the Obama administration finally gives in and DOES construct a Death Star after continued public pressure. Yeah. It's coming. Neptune has been asking for it for a while.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:19 AM   #33
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Don't see what people's issue is
Gav2k is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:00 AM   #34
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 65816

If you've finished your contract and the phone is owned by you, why is it illegal to unlock it so you can sell it on? Seems a little restrictive in the land of the free.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:02 AM   #35
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Deal82 View Post
If you've finished your contract and the phone is owned by you, why is it illegal to unlock it so you can sell it on? Seems a little restrictive in the land of the free.
It's not! It's still legal to have your CARRIER unlock. It's illegal to circumvent the carrier tho!
Gav2k is offline   2
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:03 AM   #36
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
If you want subsidized phones, then accept locked phones. It's fair.
It's not like an unlocked phone gets your out of paying your contract obligations....
dukebound85 is offline   3
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:08 AM   #37
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
It's not like an unlocked phone gets your out of paying your contract obligations....
Legally if your still in contact the phone isn't yours.
Gav2k is offline   1
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:13 AM   #38
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
It's not! It's still legal to have your CARRIER unlock. It's illegal to circumvent the carrier tho!
I didn't mean to attract a heated response, apologies. If that is the case then I would have no issue with it really, although it shouldn't matter who unlocks the phone once you own it IMO.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:16 AM   #39
NewAnger
Banned

Online petitions are worthless and do nothing.
NewAnger is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:21 AM   #40
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

So what about the Verizon phones? Are they not going to be unlocked out of the box anymore?
duneriderltr450 is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:24 AM   #41
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAnger View Post
Online petitions are worthless and do nothing.
You see they do make a different in the UK. The official petition website run by Downing Street will act of any petition that has over 100,000 signatures. It has to be discussed in parliament by law. Obviously its very different for you guys.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:33 AM   #42
astrorider
macrumors 6502

Quote:

I pay for my 2 year contract and the devise price, I should have the right to have it unlocked for those 3 weeks a year I spend in Europe. I don't see anything wrong with that.
Unfortunately, it doesn't matter whether you think you should have the right or whether it's fair, etc...when AT&T pays part of the purchase price of your phone, they stipulate in the contract you agree to that you'll pay them for service for 2 years, even if you're roaming in Europe. You can cancel your contract early and pay an early termination fee to cover their subsidy, or buy an unlocked phone. Of course you can also choose not to agree to their terms and not take their subsidy. It's been reported they'll unlock your phone after your contract expires, and phones purchased before this law changed are grandfathered in and therefore still legal to unlock.
astrorider is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:58 AM   #43
6mtg37s
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myiphone7 View Post

Thank you! Very nicely said!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrorider View Post
Unfortunately, it doesn't matter whether you think you should have the right or whether it's fair, etc...when AT&T pays part of the purchase price of your phone, they stipulate in the contract you agree to that you'll pay them for service for 2 years, even if you're roaming in Europe. You can cancel your contract early and pay an early termination fee to cover their subsidy, or buy an unlocked phone. Of course you can also choose not to agree to their terms and not take their subsidy. It's been reported they'll unlock your phone after your contract expires, and phones purchased before this law changed are grandfathered in and therefore still legal to unlock.
I rather have it like it is now and have my phone unlocked legally before the contract ends! This will benefit all of us (unless you don't live in the US or have an unlocked phone)
6mtg37s is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland