Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you wake up with a dead iPhone?

• Yes

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • No

Votes: 122 93.8%

• Total voters

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Most of the time, I use my iPhone right before bed. But yet. When I wake up the next morning the phone is dead.

Why? Why does it die over night even though I'm not using it?

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Be more specific. How much battery is left on your phone before you go to bed? What sort of apps might be using your battery (anything with push enabled). Is anything constantly updating? How's your battery life during the day? When I first got my iP5 I restored from a back up of my 4s and I would consistently lose 10-20% battery overnight. Restored to new and it hasn't happened again.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
Plug it in when you go to sleep?

Sometimes when I check its 50 or higher I leave it be thinking I'm gonna drain it to 0%.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I just put my 4S down on the bedside table. The max it's ever lost is 2 or 3%. Normally it doesn't lose any percent.

Sone3D

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2011
Wirelessly posted

It happened once to me and it turned out to be Safari bookmarks sync through iCloud.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I think my battery drops at night because I get really crappy cell reception in my apartment. Therefore the phone is constantly looking for more cell strength.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Most of the time, I use my iPhone right before bed. But yet. When I wake up the next morning the phone is dead.

I bet you have too many things running, or using location services and when they update also could be an issue.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Because it ran out of battery? That or it couldn't reconcile its feelings of emptiness in the world and decided to end it early.

fasterthanfiber

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
I just put my 4S down on the bedside table. The max it's ever lost is 2 or 3%. Normally it doesn't lose any percent.
it depends on the device I had one 4s which dropped like 5-6% with hardly anything running and now with a new 4s it drops maybe 3% max.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
:cool:
i once went with a 0% drop. 7 hrs sleep. no running apps in background. 3g switched off. it was an experiment/bet i had with my fandroid friend :)

Nice i dobt touch anything when i leave my phone down, i have apps still open and whatnot, iphone standby life is incredible

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

I put my phone on the charger every night and I wake up with it at 100% charge. Then it lasts me all day.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I didn't realize this was an issue. There are times I can go 2 to 3 days without charging my iPhone 5 when I'm only using it just as a phone, and occasionally checking email and messages (light data usage).

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Unless it's a defective iPhone the problem is usually poor wireless signal. This causes the phone (any mobile phone) to increase the gain (power) to maintain a signal.

Plus put it in the charger at night. Easy peasy.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Unless it's a defective iPhone the problem is usually poor wireless signal. This causes the phone (any mobile phone) to increase the gain (power) to maintain a signal.

Plus put it in the charger at night. Easy peasy.

This makes sense. We had the same issue with Verizon at home... and the main reason why we switched carriers. We had to keep our phones on the charger just to talk without our phones dying on us. But the main issue for us was the poor Verizon signal in our location would drop calls constantly... and it did kill our batteries.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
My parents house has the same effect on mine. Spotty cell connection, 1 or 2 bars. iPhone stays warm and battery be gone. At my house it'll run for a few days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.