Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

View Poll Results: Concerned for the future of Apple?
Yes 1 16.67%
No 5 83.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:56 AM   #1
chrisrosemusic1
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to chrisrosemusic1
Not flamebait but anyone else concerned?

I've been a loyal Apple fanboy since I started using Power PC's and the first iMac back in Sixth Form. I've always loved the innovation, the products, the forward thinking, the ability to be 'different' by not using Windows.

But as the years go on I find myself struggling to be excited by anything new and the iSheep that seem to be coming with the growth of Apple. Every where you look someone has an iPhone and iPad and more and more people I know have invested in MacBooks and Apple TV etc.

Now on one hand this is great and obviously business is booming but on the other, I do worry. Apple's bubble has to burst - the innovation isn't there anymore, every new iteration of products is 'safe' and not ground breaking, iOS is become stagnant and OSX hasn't really changed since 10.1. All of the law suits are just them flexing their financial muscles to scare off other companies, which only drives innovation and fresh thinking...

Now I don't write this to stir an argument or for people to bash me or each other, but I am concerned that they are losing sight of what's important, who their real long time audience/customer base is and what is going to happen in the next few years.

Is anyone else worried about their downfall or am I just being anti climatic and doubtful?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:14 AM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrosemusic1 View Post
I've been a loyal Apple fanboy since I started using Power PC's and the first iMac back in Sixth Form. I've always loved the innovation, the products, the forward thinking, the ability to be 'different' by not using Windows.

But as the years go on I find myself struggling to be excited by anything new and the iSheep that seem to be coming with the growth of Apple. Every where you look someone has an iPhone and iPad and more and more people I know have invested in MacBooks and Apple TV etc.

Now on one hand this is great and obviously business is booming but on the other, I do worry. Apple's bubble has to burst - the innovation isn't there anymore, every new iteration of products is 'safe' and not ground breaking, iOS is become stagnant and OSX hasn't really changed since 10.1. All of the law suits are just them flexing their financial muscles to scare off other companies, which only drives innovation and fresh thinking...

Now I don't write this to stir an argument or for people to bash me or each other, but I am concerned that they are losing sight of what's important, who their real long time audience/customer base is and what is going to happen in the next few years.

Is anyone else worried about their downfall or am I just being anti climatic and doubtful?
Mac OS X hasn't really changed since 10.1? What are you smoking?

And while I do not like the direction of Mac OS X (now without the Mac though) since Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, I see plenty of changes being done to Mac OS X since 10.1, underlying ones (getting rid of Carbon and PowerPC architecture and OpenCL and other stuff I do not really understand) and quite apparent ones, Exposé, Disk Utility being useful (it was not really in 10.2.8), Spotlight, Spaces (got rid of this quite fast though), more colours, less colours and many more I do not dare to mention, in case Apple takes them too.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:26 AM   #3
chrisrosemusic1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
Mac OS X hasn't really changed since 10.1? What are you smoking?

And while I do not like the direction of Mac OS X (now without the Mac though) since Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, I see plenty of changes being done to Mac OS X since 10.1, underlying ones (getting rid of Carbon and PowerPC architecture and OpenCL and other stuff I do not really understand) and quite apparent ones, Exposé, Disk Utility being useful (it was not really in 10.2.8), Spotlight, Spaces (got rid of this quite fast though), more colours, less colours and many more I do not dare to mention, in case Apple takes them too.
I meant more in a UI sense, not under the hood changes :-)
chrisrosemusic1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:48 AM   #4
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrosemusic1 View Post
I meant more in a UI sense, not under the hood changes :-)
While the basic GUI might not have changed much, Menu Bar and Dock and windows, they got enhanced. I currently like the layout, but I am still using Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, the best Mac OS X version since Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger for me, and can understand where you coming from. MS changed Windows quite a bit from Windows 5.1 to Windows 6 and then again with Windows 7, but then again, those changes did irritate me more than they did good. Change just for change's sake is not welcome with me.

From Mac OS X 10.1
Thumb resize.
via Mac OS X 10.2
Thumb resize.
via Mac OS X 10.3
Thumb resize.
via Mac OS X 10.4
Thumb resize.
via Mac OS X 10.5
Thumb resize.
via Mac OS X 10.6
Thumb resize.
via Mac OS X 10.7
Thumb resize.
to OS X 10.8
Thumb resize.
you can see, there were some changes made with the GUI.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:56 AM   #5
gumblecosby
macrumors 6502

I like that the Tiger picture you used was from a hackintosh Reminds me of my first "Mac"
gumblecosby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:57 AM   #6
chrisrosemusic1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
While the basic GUI might not have changed much, Menu Bar and Dock and windows, they got enhanced. I currently like the layout, but I am still using Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, the best Mac OS X version since Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger for me, and can understand where you coming from. MS changed Windows quite a bit from Windows 5.1 to Windows 6 and then again with Windows 7, but then again, those changes did irritate me more than they did good. Change just for change's sake is not welcome with me.

From Mac OS X 10.1
Thumb resize.
via Mac OS X 10.2
Thumb resize.
via Mac OS X 10.3
Thumb resize.
via Mac OS X 10.4
Thumb resize.
via Mac OS X 10.5
Thumb resize.
via Mac OS X 10.6
Thumb resize.
via Mac OS X 10.7
Thumb resize.
to OS X 10.8
Thumb resize.
you can see, there were some changes made with the GUI.
Yeah I guess. I suppose I just don't remember the changes being all that substantial. Thanks for the pics though - some nice memories right there
chrisrosemusic1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X