Bottom Right corner 24 8.66%
Bottom Left corner 35 12.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:24 AM   #126
Zac7
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
Refurbs have a brand new casing and battery, as opposed to your current phone which has a used casing and battery.

Couple that with the fact that most other OEMs for phones, laptops, TV's etc will ask you to actually hand your item in so they can repair it over a couple of weeks, I'd say you're getting a pretty good deal.

Your current phone is used. Why do you deserve a brand new phone just because it requires repair?

If your BMW developed a fault 9 months in are you going to go back to BMW and ask them to give you a brand new car off the showroom?

Just go and get a refurb and be grateful that Apple arn't making you hand it in for a 2-4 week repair like every other OEM.

Again, the refurbs are in some aspects newer than your current phone. I've gone through 2 refurbs for iphone 4 and another 2 for my iphone 5. Each one was identical to brand new, it's impossible to tell the difference.

Also refurbs are not inferior in quality or have higher fault rates. They they are made to the exact same standard as a new phone. If you got 2 bad refurbs in a row then the same could of happened when getting 2 new phones.

Honestly, look at my post history, I complain about every a lot aspects about iPhones. Complaining about getting a refurb is a bit much though and I see it all the time here.
I don't feel that I should get a new phone...I just have the impression, especially after I just got a far inferior refurbished phone, that replacement phones are less than production phones. Appreciate your post, but didn't really answer my question. I was just wondering if Verizon has the tendency to replace a faulty phone with a factory sealed phone...thats all. I don't feel I showed any type of entitlement. I am rather greatful Apple handles issues the way they do.

Also, if there was a clear factory defect on a BMW and it couldn't be fixed, ie the screen click couldn't be fixed, the car would be traded in. If Apple would have fixed my first iPhone's screen click I wouldn't be posting, but instead they replaced it with something worse.
Zac7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:30 AM   #127
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

Rock solid.
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 8.0
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:40 AM   #128
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac7 View Post
I don't feel that I should get a new phone...I just have the impression, especially after I just got a far inferior refurbished phone, that replacement phones are less than production phones. Appreciate your post, but didn't really answer my question. I was just wondering if Verizon has the tendency to replace a faulty phone with a factory sealed phone...thats all. I don't feel I showed any type of entitlement. I am rather greatful Apple handles issues the way they do.

Also, if there was a clear factory defect on a BMW and it couldn't be fixed, ie the screen click couldn't be fixed, the car would be traded in. If Apple would have fixed my first iPhone's screen click I wouldn't be posting, but instead they replaced it with something worse.
AFIK it's not possible to get a brand new retail box anywhere, including going directly to the carrier. All replacements are in a white box which may or may not be a brand new unit. The store clerk also doesn't know it's a new unit or refurb. The only exception is if you do a return an swap within 14 days.

Your first replacement might have also been brand new, which is actually more plausible if it came with a fault right out of the box.

Last edited by syd430; Dec 5, 2012 at 11:47 AM.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:45 AM   #129
Zac7
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
AFIK it's not possible to get a brand new retail box anywhere, including going directly to the carrier. All replacements are in a white box which may or may not be a brand new unit. The store clerk also doesn't know it's a new unit or refurb. The only exception is if you do a return an swap within 14 days.
Thanks! I will just hope the refurb I get is a little better than the one I got yesterday.
Zac7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:26 AM   #130
biglew
macrumors newbie

I think it's the sleep wake button, the same rattling noise was on the 4s also...
biglew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:38 AM   #131
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglew View Post
I think it's the sleep wake button, the same rattling noise was on the 4s also...
It's not a rattle, it's a click, you can actually see the screen click down in to place.

No problems since getting my replacement, it's been rock solid.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:33 PM   #132
macduke
macrumors 68040

I have a day 1 iPhone 5 that has developed this problem. The top left corner pops. The sleep/wake button also seems to be having trouble now. When I push it, sometimes the display will go on and off quickly—or it just won't do anything at all. But it's pretty random. Sometimes when I hold in on the corner with medium pressure where it pops, the sleep/wake problem will happen over and over, but once it pops in it will sometimes stop for a while. It's pretty annoying that there is no Apple Store near the University of Missouri. Guess I'll have to go to KC or STL. Between this and the image retention on my Retina MacBook Pro and iPad 2 I'm not a very happy camper!
macduke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:35 PM   #133
Chalhoub
macrumors newbie

Same problem

I have the same problem, but i live in Hungary and we have no Genius Bar here. Can they repair or replace it at an official Apple service? I bought it on 10th December, and it clicks on the top right side of the screen.
Chalhoub is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:55 AM   #134
Iphone5savvy
macrumors newbie

I had this same problem just recently.
I tried to ignore it but it's really annoying and it just got worse. When you press it with some pressure it'll somehow flatten and the popping sound will disappear. But only for a while. Went to apple last Jan1 and now I have a replacement. They looked at my phone, commended how I placed my phone's screen protectors (front and back) then gave me a new
(Out of the box) unit. Thanks to iCloud my phone looks like my old one.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalhoub View Post
I have the same problem, but i live in Hungary and we have no Genius Bar here. Can they repair or replace it at an official Apple service? I bought it on 10th December, and it clicks on the top right side of the screen.
Actually I think you can call the Apple hotline or you nearest Apple retailer there in your area. Tell them the problem. You should have a new replacement phone if that's the case.
Iphone5savvy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:55 AM   #135
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

nope not anywhere either, tried the entire phone
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:11 AM   #136
adam044
macrumors 65816

I originally voted no but a few days ago the right side the of my phone clicks like the screen is lifting up or something because I push it down and it will stop for a few seconds and then start clicking again. It's actually loud. I've never dropped it or anything and haven't had any problems at all with it so I'm not looking forward to going to apple to get a new one.

Had it since release btw
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:08 PM   #137
HNfan
macrumors newbie

take it back for an exchange

Sounds like a defect. I would take it back if it were me.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:11 PM   #138
TyPod
macrumors 68000

Rock solid here on my 16GB white
TyPod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:19 AM   #139
Grolubao
macrumors 6502a

Maybe this is happening because your iPhone is bent. The one I noticed clicking was the one that was bent out of the box
Grolubao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:27 AM   #140
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Rock Solid for me, however this is my 3rd IP5, the others had major hardware issues, one had not LTE, the other had poor WiFi, Apple diagnosed and replaced asap.
Old May 20, 2013, 09:49 PM   #141
hofnar
macrumors regular

I'm on my third iPhone 5. My first started clicking after about 5 months. Then my second started after 2 months. All were in the lower left hand corner.

Honestly I have no idea what's wrong, maybe it's just me. None were ever dropped.
Old May 22, 2013, 04:33 PM   #142
MacBookPro13"
Banned

Send a message via MSN to MacBookPro13" Send a message via Skype™ to MacBookPro13"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hofnar View Post
I'm on my third iPhone 5. My first started clicking after about 5 months. Then my second started after 2 months. All were in the lower left hand corner.

Honestly I have no idea what's wrong, maybe it's just me. None were ever dropped.
I'm the exact same. This is iPhone 5 number 3 now and the same problem has just resurfaced, 2 months after this replacement. Don't even know what to do anymore I am so annoyed. What use is another replacement if it will most likely turn out to be the same rubbish again?
MacBookPro13" is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 04:47 PM   #143
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by close2reality View Post
if anything pushing it down is temporarily adhering it...keyword temporarily.
Adhering? I don't quite understand this phenomenon. Is the clicking sound from the screen not set into the aluminium backing correctly? There is no glue or adhering here, it can easily be taken out and reseated.
Old May 23, 2013, 08:15 PM   #144
codyst
macrumors regular

Rock Solid sir!
Old May 23, 2013, 09:51 PM   #145
HCO
macrumors regular

Top right hand side on mine
HCO is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 04:19 AM   #146
if1988
macrumors newbie

I have the same Problem. My iPhone clicks and squeaks on the right side.

I called the Apple Support yesterday evening. They said I have to send a Video of the problem to them.
But the employee said that he doesn't hear it in my video. But I hear it. I feel a bit paranoid now

Do you hear it????

Video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9hywov5tz...%2046%2019.mov

Also the gap between the Aluminium the employee doesn't (wanted) to see.

Picture:

He changed it on Goodwill.

I think the squeaking is because of the gap.

I don't unterstand why he doesn't see and hear anything??!!

I hope you hear something???
if1988 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 09:20 AM   #147
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

No problem with either iPhone 5 in my house.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 09:30 AM   #148
Charadis
macrumors 6502a

Solid as a rock. Sent from my iPad.
Charadis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2013, 04:02 AM   #149
Linneahurrdurr
macrumors newbie

Its like this on mine too, and today i dropped it and the screen fell of. But i was lucky enough to be able to but it back on..
Linneahurrdurr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2013, 04:14 AM   #150
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

Noticed that this thread came out in 2012. Had the issue on a release day 5s. Top right quadrant felt spongy. No problems getting a replacement but even that one had a few always lit pixels. So far no physical issues on the second replacement.
cdmoore74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone