Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following this weekend's release of iOS 6.1 Beta 5 to developers, Apple has just released iOS 6.1 to the public. The update includes new LTE carrier support and Siri-based movie ticket purchases via Fandango, as well as iTunes Match individual song downloading and a new reset button for advertising tracking.
This update contains improvements and bug fixes, including:

- LTE support for more carriers (complete list of supported carriers at www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/)
- Purchase movie tickets through Fandango with Siri (USA only)
- iTunes Match subscribers can now download individual songs from iCloud
- New button to reset the Advertising Identifier
ios_6_1.jpg
"iOS 6 is the world's most advanced mobile operating system, and with nearly 300 million iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices on iOS 6 in just five months, it may be the most popular new version of an OS in history," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "iOS 6.1 brings LTE support to more markets around the world, so even more users can enjoy ultrafast Safari browsing, FaceTime video calls, iCloud services, and iTunes and App Store downloads."
New LTE carriers for iPhone 5 supported in the update include:

- USA: Alaska Communications, Alaska GCI, Bluegrass Cellular, C Spire, Cellcom, Pioneer Cellular
- Canada: MTS, Sasktel
- Puerto Rico: Claro, Open Mobile
- Croatia: T-Mobile, VIPNet
- Denmark: 3, Telenor, Telia
- Finland: DNA, Elisa, Sonera
- Greece: Cosmote
- Hungary: T-Mobile
- Italy: 3, TIM, Vodafone
- Kuwait: Zain
- Luxembourg: Tango
- Philippines: Globe, SMART
- Portugal: Optimus, TMN, Vodafone
- Saudi Arabia: Mobily, Zain
- South Africa: Vodacom
- Switzerland: Swisscom
- UAE: DU, Etisalat

However, as Jeremy Horwitz of iLounge points out, the new LTE carriers are only supported by the 4th-generation iPad, the iPad mini, and the iPhone 5. Third-generation iPads do not support any of the new carriers.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 6.1 with New LTE Carriers and Fandango Siri Integration

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Haha, so it was a GM release! Man, Apple, get your stuff right! Jailbreak...can we happen now, please? :)

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
NY
I just happened to connect my iPhone and it said there was an update available. Any other features on iOS 6.1 besides these? As a 4S owner this update seems pointless :confused:

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
WOW. This is the first time a .1 software update has been a complete fail. IOS 4.1, 5.1 brought some insanity to IOS. This is a joke.

Spetsnazos

macrumors regular
May 3, 2012
meanwhile Android is kicking it into higher gear with JellyBean and taking over the market.

Apple...stupid gimmicks like Siri isn't what the consumer wants...they want a more fluid and accessible OS.

iOS is dying fast...

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Wow. Literally an hour after I updated to iOS 6.1 beta 5 / GM. So this is confirmed to have the same build number as beta 5? If so I won't bother with another restore.

JackieTreehorn

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Amsterdam
Been working for a day now with the beta 5 / GM update and I am pleasantly surprised by improved speed and battery time on my 4S.

I prefer stable usability over eye-candy user-interfaces such as Jellybean and Windows Phone stuff any day.

Great job, Apple!

dannyhex

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
NY
the JB devs said they have our jailbreak ready untethered but were waiting for 6.1.. WHERES OUR JB!!

edit sorry saw other posts!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.