Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Hi, I won't bore you with everything else that's wrong with iTunes Match right now (namely it's inability to upload large songs).

Whilst snowboarding, I realised that as iTunes Match was activated on my iPhone, I had the entire 140Gb list of my music; but no apparent way of identifying what was actually ON my iPhone.

I don't know what kind of moron doesn't understand that people very often use iPhones where internet is either too slow or expensive to stream music; but they're certainly too stupid to be working at a market-leading technology company.

Aside from turning iTunes Match off, is there a way to identify what music is actually ON my iPhone, or is it REALLY this badly designed?

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
You can also choose to allow or deny iTune Match's use of cellular data. Or Wifi for that matter. Maybe skip a day of snowboarding and read the manual? If that's not possible, the forum has a search feature.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
..And I'm presented with a big, fat iCloud logo with a loading bar. Which has been there since yesterday. Probably in relation to the fact that my iCloud - activated two months ago - is still frozen on uploading, because I haven't decided to delete any large music files yet.

What a woeful service.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
..And I'm presented with a big, fat iCloud logo with a loading bar. Which has been there since yesterday. Probably in relation to the fact that my iCloud - activated two months ago - is still frozen on uploading, because I haven't decided to delete any large music files yet.

What a woeful service.

Sorry but you are the definition of 'user error'

you have been told what to do to remedy your situation but would rather moan about it.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
A brief Google would reveal the countless people who have had issues uploading large songs (one hour+) to iTunes Match.

Observe: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3497649?start=30&tstart=0

In fact several have reported Apple customer service have confirmed it's a 'known issue' and are currently working on a solution.

In the meantime, making AAC versions of the large songs iTunes Match had stalled on and deleting them allowed the upload to progress further, but it's now stalled again and I'm trying to work out why.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Beat me to, it but yep that is what to do. Also to clear what is on there toggle match off and then back on.

A better way to clear it is

Settings > General > Usage > Select Music > Edit then delete

This keeps Match turned on, just deletes all local music.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Rather a shame, if so. I've spent around £6,000 on Apple products over the last few years and enjoy most aspects of their functionality.

iTunes Match would be great for sharing my 140Gb music collection on my iMac with other devices as I travel; and accessing music on my one Windows laptop (provided by my company) without storing it locally.

I've got the vast majority of my music onto the service, but have a stubborn 1,400 songs to go.. I hope to get there.

----------

To clarify, I want iTunes Match running on my iPhone for when internet is available; but the ability to easily identify what is locally stored for the many occasions when I d not have internet available.

I get the impression in many ways, from many technology companies, that they think most people have constant WiFi, 3G or 4G access. Not the case - especially those of us that travel regularly.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
To clarify, I want iTunes Match running on my iPhone for when internet is available; but the ability to easily identify what is locally stored for the many occasions when I d not have internet available.

I get the impression in many ways, from many technology companies, that they think most people have constant WiFi, 3G or 4G access. Not the case - especially those of us that travel regularly.

Which makes it a pointless and useless feature, surprised more people haven't figured this out yes. Store everything locally and you'll never have any of the problems you mentioned.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Rather a shame, if so. I've spent around £6,000 on Apple products over the last few years and enjoy most aspects of their functionality.

iTunes Match would be great for sharing my 140Gb music collection on my iMac with other devices as I travel; and accessing music on my one Windows laptop (provided by my company) without storing it locally.

I've got the vast majority of my music onto the service, but have a stubborn 1,400 songs to go.. I hope to get there.

----------

I was answering somebody else's question.

For you, just go Settings > Music > Show All Music > off

Then you will only see the music on your device.

----------

Which makes it a pointless and useless feature, surprised more people haven't figured this out yes. Store everything locally and you'll never have any of the problems you mentioned.

iTunes Match is amazing if you understand it.

Never having to use iTunes to sync, is a blessing, and having my entire 100GB + music library with me at all times on my iPhone it great.

Sure you may have to plan ahead if you are going to be without internet for an extended time, but I'm sure most people manage it easy enough. I do.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati

Thanks, im not sure what that would be better, but i will try it.

I have been using iTunes match since the first of Jan and wow am i using the data 5gb and counting. Some of that is playing with LTE on my phone, but most of it is the music.

----------

IiTunes Match is amazing if you understand it.

Never having to use iTunes to sync, is a blessing, and having my entire 100GB + music library with me at all times on my iPhone it great.

Sure you may have to plan ahead if you are going to be without internet for an extended time, but I'm sure most people manage it easy enough. I do.

I agree with the amazing part, so far i like it. I have had some album art issues but it is nice to have all my music right there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.