Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside today's release of iOS 6.1, Apple also issued an update for the Apple TV. The new 5.2 software update includes a number of enhancements including direct iTunes in the Cloud music streaming, Bluetooth keyboard support, Up Next support, and more.
- iTunes in the Cloud: Browse and play your purchased iTunes music directly from iCloud.
- Bluetooth keyboard: Use your Apple Wireless Keyboard to control your Apple TV. See this article for more information.
- AirPlay audio for videos: Send stereo audio from movies, TV shows, and other videos on Apple TV to AirPlay-enabled speakers and devices (including AirPort Express and other Apple TVs).
- Stability and performance: Includes performance and stability improvements with the iTunes Store, AirPlay, Netflix, iTunes Match, and wired Ethernet connections.
apple_tv_5_2.jpg
Curiously, Apple has released three versions of the Apple TV update, covering not only the second-generation (AppleTV2,1) and third-generation (AppleTV3,1) boxes but also a new AppleTV3,2 box. It is unclear exactly what the difference is with the new box, but the numbering scheme suggests that it is a relatively minor change.

appletv32.jpg
Three versions of Apple TV 5.2 update (Source: e-lite.org)
KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo noted earlier this month that Apple was preparing to launch an updated Apple TV this quarter, although it was anticipated to be a minor upgrade. Apple has not, however, made any public announcements regarding an updated Apple TV.

Update: Apple appears to be referring to the new Apple TV model with a code name of J33I, compared to the J33 code name used on the third-generation Apple TV. While we have no direct evidence, it is possible that the "I" simply refers to an international variation of the current box. Just last month, Apple launched iTunes movies in nearly four dozen new countries.

Article Link: Apple Updates Apple TV with Up Next and Bluetooth Keyboard, New 'AppleTV3,2' Model Revealed

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Was gonna pick up an Apple TV, glad I waited!

Hopefully we see this refresh with the iPad 5 in March.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Some nice touches in this update, The keyboard support will be nice, though I use my iPad and iPhone for this mostly now.

Adding more applications, and a browser are highly requested (by myself :eek: )

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Where the Heck is NAS Support ?!?!?!!

Meh....

I want to see NAS support so I don't have to have my main Mac on all the time, just to watch a movie. It's not an unusual request, Apple. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Virtually every other network streaming player out there does this.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
More Apple TV's on the way? I've always wondered how well they sell, especially in the UK. Everyone I seem to bump into has an iPhone (or Android these days), everyone in my industry has an Apple computer somewhere, but nobody has an Apple TV for personal reasons (work reasons yeah).

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Is the 2nd generation Apple TV compatible with the Bluetooth Keyboard? I believe it has BT (iFixit) but Apple is known to lie and say the hardware just can't support it when it can.

x13gamer

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Pure Michigan
Do most people have more than one icloud account in their home? If everyone in your house has their own then what? How about some support for those who do. It goes back to the multiple apple ID issue that will not be fixed anytime soon.

x13gamer

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Pure Michigan
More Apple TV's on the way? I've always wondered how well they sell, especially in the UK. Everyone I seem to bump into has an iPhone (or Android these days), everyone in my industry has an Apple computer somewhere, but nobody has an Apple TV for personal reasons (work reasons yeah).

They seem popular where I am in the US midwest. Especially in schools where there is an iPad initiative.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Bluetooth Keyboard finally!

Although, I've grown very accustomed to controlling my TV with my iPhone. Nevertheless, still a great feature for everyone else who has access to my TV and doesn't have an iOS device with them.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
about time they enabled keyboard use. i felt like pulling out my hair when i have to search for something and select letter by letter.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
Do most people have more than one icloud account in their home? If everyone in your house has their own then what? How about some support for those who do. It goes back to the multiple apple ID issue that will not be fixed anytime soon.

The Apple TV allows you to login with multiple iTunes accounts in the settings.

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
I'm like to be able to scroll (with just the remote) to an artist who's name starts with a "s" and not have it take three minutes...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Is the 2nd generation Apple TV compatible with the Bluetooth Keyboard? I believe it has BT (iFixit) but Apple is known to lie and say the hardware just can't support it when it can.

I too hope it is supported.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
The bluetooth keyboard support is sweet, I need to pick up that new Logitech Easy Switch Keyboard now.... that would be a perfect match!

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Meh....

I want to see NAS support so I don't have to have my main Mac on all the time, just to watch a movie. It's not an unusual request, Apple. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I assume they want you to utilize iCloud as opposed to your local system for this. I know it doesn't fix the issue of ripped movies, since they don't yet match our own personal video content at this time.

Would be nice for Apple to at least offer that option too.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
Downloading now.
Pumped on the bluetooth keyboard. Harder to lose a keyboard than that tiny remote.

Also, my classroom can now tuck away the apple tv box into the rafters.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Meh....

It would be better if they just put a freakin hardrive back in. Stupid move taking out.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Meh....

They'll never support a basic NAS, but it would be nice if they would at least support a hard drive connected to an AirPort Base Station.

Sounds like a processor bump and not much more.

jarrodjob

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2007
Seattle
How about Home Video sorting

In iTunes 11, I marked about 300 home videos as such. Now when scrolling on the AppleTV, there are co-mingled with full-length movies. My old work around is that I used to use TV show sorting for home movies, but its weird that iTunes 11 lets you sort this way, but then does not translate to ATV.

Apple: It just works[...but it doesn't].

-JJ

bassanoclapper

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
London

I have 2, living room and bedroom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.