Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:58 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Updates Apple TV with Up Next and Bluetooth Keyboard, New 'AppleTV3,2' Model Revealed

Alongside today's release of iOS 6.1, Apple also issued an update for the Apple TV. The new 5.2 software update includes a number of enhancements including direct iTunes in the Cloud music streaming, Bluetooth keyboard support, Up Next support, and more.
Quote:
- iTunes in the Cloud: Browse and play your purchased iTunes music directly from iCloud.
- Bluetooth keyboard: Use your Apple Wireless Keyboard to control your Apple TV. See this article for more information.
- AirPlay audio for videos: Send stereo audio from movies, TV shows, and other videos on Apple TV to AirPlay-enabled speakers and devices (including AirPort Express and other Apple TVs).
- Stability and performance: Includes performance and stability improvements with the iTunes Store, AirPlay, Netflix, iTunes Match, and wired Ethernet connections.
Curiously, Apple has released three versions of the Apple TV update, covering not only the second-generation (AppleTV2,1) and third-generation (AppleTV3,1) boxes but also a new AppleTV3,2 box. It is unclear exactly what the difference is with the new box, but the numbering scheme suggests that it is a relatively minor change.

Three versions of Apple TV 5.2 update (Source: e-lite.org)
KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo noted earlier this month that Apple was preparing to launch an updated Apple TV this quarter, although it was anticipated to be a minor upgrade. Apple has not, however, made any public announcements regarding an updated Apple TV.

Update: Apple appears to be referring to the new Apple TV model with a code name of J33I, compared to the J33 code name used on the third-generation Apple TV. While we have no direct evidence, it is possible that the "I" simply refers to an international variation of the current box. Just last month, Apple launched iTunes movies in nearly four dozen new countries.

Article Link: Apple Updates Apple TV with Up Next and Bluetooth Keyboard, New 'AppleTV3,2' Model Revealed
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:00 PM   #2
green94
macrumors regular

Needs MORE Apps!
green94 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:01 PM   #3
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Was gonna pick up an Apple TV, glad I waited!

Hopefully we see this refresh with the iPad 5 in March.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:02 PM   #4
840quadra

Some nice touches in this update, The keyboard support will be nice, though I use my iPad and iPhone for this mostly now.

Adding more applications, and a browser are highly requested (by myself )
840quadra is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:05 PM   #5
Wild-Bill
macrumors 68020

Where the Heck is NAS Support ?!?!?!!

Meh....

I want to see NAS support so I don't have to have my main Mac on all the time, just to watch a movie. It's not an unusual request, Apple.

Virtually every other network streaming player out there does this.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:06 PM   #6
Dagless
macrumors Core

More Apple TV's on the way? I've always wondered how well they sell, especially in the UK. Everyone I seem to bump into has an iPhone (or Android these days), everyone in my industry has an Apple computer somewhere, but nobody has an Apple TV for personal reasons (work reasons yeah).
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:06 PM   #7
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
Is the 2nd generation Apple TV compatible with the Bluetooth Keyboard? I believe it has BT (iFixit) but Apple is known to lie and say the hardware just can't support it when it can.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:07 PM   #8
ThisIsNotMe
macrumors 65816

How about an actual feature that was promised last year like I don't know Airplay Direct???
ThisIsNotMe is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:08 PM   #9
x13gamer
macrumors regular

Do most people have more than one icloud account in their home? If everyone in your house has their own then what? How about some support for those who do. It goes back to the multiple apple ID issue that will not be fixed anytime soon.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:08 PM   #10
TsMkLg068426
macrumors 6502a

Next Mac OS X 10.8.3?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:10 PM   #11
x13gamer
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
More Apple TV's on the way? I've always wondered how well they sell, especially in the UK. Everyone I seem to bump into has an iPhone (or Android these days), everyone in my industry has an Apple computer somewhere, but nobody has an Apple TV for personal reasons (work reasons yeah).
They seem popular where I am in the US midwest. Especially in schools where there is an iPad initiative.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:10 PM   #12
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Bluetooth Keyboard finally!

Although, I've grown very accustomed to controlling my TV with my iPhone. Nevertheless, still a great feature for everyone else who has access to my TV and doesn't have an iOS device with them.
iMikeT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:11 PM   #13
nia820
macrumors 6502a

about time they enabled keyboard use. i felt like pulling out my hair when i have to search for something and select letter by letter.
nia820 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:11 PM   #14
ck2875
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by x13gamer View Post
Do most people have more than one icloud account in their home? If everyone in your house has their own then what? How about some support for those who do. It goes back to the multiple apple ID issue that will not be fixed anytime soon.
The Apple TV allows you to login with multiple iTunes accounts in the settings.
ck2875 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:11 PM   #15
scott911
macrumors 6502

I'm like to be able to scroll (with just the remote) to an artist who's name starts with a "s" and not have it take three minutes...
scott911 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:12 PM   #16
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouimetnick View Post
Is the 2nd generation Apple TV compatible with the Bluetooth Keyboard? I believe it has BT (iFixit) but Apple is known to lie and say the hardware just can't support it when it can.
I too hope it is supported.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:13 PM   #17
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

The bluetooth keyboard support is sweet, I need to pick up that new Logitech Easy Switch Keyboard now.... that would be a perfect match!
gmanist1000 is online now   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:13 PM   #18
840quadra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild-Bill View Post
Meh....

I want to see NAS support so I don't have to have my main Mac on all the time, just to watch a movie. It's not an unusual request, Apple.

I assume they want you to utilize iCloud as opposed to your local system for this. I know it doesn't fix the issue of ripped movies, since they don't yet match our own personal video content at this time.

Would be nice for Apple to at least offer that option too.
840quadra is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:13 PM   #19
matteusclement
macrumors 65816

Downloading now.
Pumped on the bluetooth keyboard. Harder to lose a keyboard than that tiny remote.

Also, my classroom can now tuck away the apple tv box into the rafters.
matteusclement is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:13 PM   #20
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
Quote:
Meh....

It would be better if they just put a freakin hardrive back in. Stupid move taking out.
MacBoobsPro is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:14 PM   #21
Farid1983
Banned

Love iOS updates regardless!
Farid1983 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:14 PM   #22
matteusclement
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck2875 View Post
The Apple TV allows you to login with multiple iTunes accounts in the settings.
are you sure about that? where do you do that?
matteusclement is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:14 PM   #23
jaw04005
macrumors 601

Quote:
Meh....

They'll never support a basic NAS, but it would be nice if they would at least support a hard drive connected to an AirPort Base Station.

Sounds like a processor bump and not much more.
jaw04005 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:15 PM   #24
jarrodjob
macrumors newbie

How about Home Video sorting

In iTunes 11, I marked about 300 home videos as such. Now when scrolling on the AppleTV, there are co-mingled with full-length movies. My old work around is that I used to use TV show sorting for home movies, but its weird that iTunes 11 lets you sort this way, but then does not translate to ATV.

Apple: It just works[...but it doesn't].

-JJ
jarrodjob is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:15 PM   #25
bassanoclapper
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
I have 2, living room and bedroom

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion