Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Neither. I used some free online-based preparation last that I can't remember the name of and I hope to do the same this year. If not, I'll manually enter my tax info on the forms this year. 1040ez's are not hard, anyone can do it and it takes only an hour or two with or without preparation software. Try preparing a schedule D by yourself like I have to because of my stock transactions.

FoxFifth

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
I've been using TaxAct the last 4 or 5 years. Their deluxe bundle which includes federal and state returns and efiling for both is $17.95 and they have been discounting that to $13.95 for returning customers so that is what I have paid every year after the first year. It will import from a variety of sources (although I haven't used that) and also will import from the prior year return which I have used. When I first used it I thought it was more straightforward and easier to use than TurboTax but that is a comparison from 5 years ago. http://www.taxactonline.com

BlendedFrog

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
I have been using turbotax for years. It's been my go-to software and I don't think I could use anything else. I do like the fact that they make it so your tax file is cross-platform compatible. So if you start it on a mac, you can open it on a win pc and finish it.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
I used to use TurboTax but found H&R better once I started my business. If you're not married with kids, don't own a home or a business, taxes are pretty simple and it doesn't really matter what you use, IMHO.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Well, it's still a little early, but are you filing with TurboTax or H&R Block At Home this year?
TurboTax seems a lot easier to use, but having your return reviewed and signed by an H&R Block agent is compelling, too. Also, it's less expensive.

So, what's it for you this year, and why?

Turbotax here. I get the digital DL direct from Amazon. Turbotax does a really nice job importing your return from last year. I always e-file with Turbotax and it is very seamless. Also has the option to save a PDF version of the return.

Never used H&R, so can't comment.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I switched from TurboTax to H&R Block about 5 years ago when the former instituted a troublesome anti-piracy measure that prevented printing returns on a second system. I don't think they do that anymore, but Block's lower pricing and the fact they aren't Intuit keeps me with them. My returns are complex with multiple employers, self employment, investments, and retirement income all needing to be factored in. I do occasionally find bugs in Block (I might have found bugs in TurboTax as well!) and it is certainly advisable to know what you are doing and check the final return before submitting if you have anything but a simple return.

zosobao5150

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
Central Ohio
I have also been using taxact for the last 4 or 5 years. Never any issues and pretty cheap. It also imports data well.

I've been using TaxAct the last 4 or 5 years. Their deluxe bundle which includes federal and state returns and efiling for both is $17.95 and they have been discounting that to $13.95 for returning customers so that is what I have paid every year after the first year. It will import from a variety of sources (although I haven't used that) and also will import from the prior year return which I have used. When I first used it I thought it was more straightforward and easier to use than TurboTax but that is a comparison from 5 years ago. http://www.taxactonline.com

in2tech

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
Downloaded the app from the Mac App store. Is the $29.99 a one time in app purchase and how many family members taxes can you do and how many e-files, or is it $29.99 for each persons taxes?

Has anyone used the Mac App store Turbo Tax?

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Used to use TurboTax but Intuit pissed me off so I've been using HR Block for a number of years. In reviews, TurboTax comes out a little ahead but not much. For most filers it doesn't matter as their returns are simple. Most could do fine with the web versions.

The one thing I dislike about both is the cost for state e-filing. Two years ago my son had to file in two states so got dinged for 2 filing fees.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.