Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
The only reason I'm wanting the 5 (and this is the biggest thing that kept me away from iPhones for so long) was that I have bigger fingers, so it's hard to type.

Figured the 5 would be easier to type on than the 4S.

Don't forget LTE if it's available in your area.. HUGE improvement and I can not fathom anyone else downgrading to 3G/4G

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
And if so, do you find yourself feeling that it's lacking?

I have never had an iPhone before, despite being an Apple guy. I bought a couple 5's last week for my wife and I, but took them back after I learned some new issues with Straight Talk.

My Verizon upgrade isn't until May 31st, but I have to get rid of my Android, which takes 15 to 20 seconds to just make a call.

Seeing a lot of iPhone 4's on Craigslist for $200. Figured I could get one and use it until my upgrade.

Mind if I ask you which android?

Norcal.

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2012
I still use the iPhone 4. The only thing I find lacking is the processor speed. It's not that slow, but it's noticeable.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I wouldn't buy one today, but since I'm too broke to upgrade right now it's fine. I've had it since I bought it new a few years ago and aside from an iffy home button it still works fine. It's not exactly amazing obviously but it does its job considering how old it is. However, I also know that when iOS 7 comes out, odds are iPhone 4 support will be dropped, and when I do upgrade I will be getting an Android phone.

Anyway, solid advice for OP: the oldest iPhone you should buy last year's, that's my general rule. So don't go older than 4S.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
The only reason I'm wanting the 5 (and this is the biggest thing that kept me away from iPhones for so long) was that I have bigger fingers, so it's hard to type.

Figured the 5 would be easier to type on than the 4S.

The keyboard on the 5 is the exact same size as the 4/4S (in both height and width). The taller screen just allows you to see more while the keyboard is open.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I'm shocked at the number of people actually recommending the 4. Guys. It's 2 1/2 years old and will be 3 in June. It may still work for you but locking yourself into a 3 year old phone is a very bad idea. I get Not everyone wants or needs the latest and greatest but investing into an 800mhz single core, cortex A8 CPU, the same as found in the 3GS only 200mhz faster. The same graphics chip as the 3GS, and 512mb of ramis a bad idea. Sounds nice now but you'll regret it down the road. Apps are getting more mulitthreaded and demanding and iOS 7 will be this phones last upgrade if it even gets that.

jharvey71884

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2011
The keyboard on the 5 is the exact same size as the 4/4S (in both height and width). The taller screen just allows you to see more while the keyboard is open.

Must be a mind thing then, because I had an easier time typing on it in the sotre than my wife's iPhone 4.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I'm shocked at the number of people actually recommending the 4. Guys. It's 2 1/2 years old and will be 3 in June. It may still work for you but locking yourself into a 3 year old phone is a very bad idea. I get Not everyone wants or needs the latest and greatest but investing into an 800mhz single core, cortex A8 CPU, the same as found in the 3GS only 200mhz faster. The same graphics chip as the 3GS, and 512mb of ramis a bad idea. Sounds nice now but you'll regret it down the road. Apps are getting more mulitthreaded and demanding and iOS 7 will be this phones last upgrade if it even gets that.

He's not asking about the 4 to lock himself in to a contract, just to use in the meantime until he looks to update come this May!

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
My girlfriend still uses an 4, the only thing she moans about is space, with a 16gb one so thats fair.
Speed is slow compared to my 4s, but if not compared theres not a tonne of difference, maybe a second or 2 in most apps, nothing substantial.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010

I know a couple of people that just upgraded to the iPhone 4 from 3GS.

Some just want a good phone. Why pay $200 for a phone that your going to use just as much/the same as $0 phone?

Probably dont even care if its an A4, A5, A6 chip. They don't even know what multithread means and what iOS 7 is.

Could care less about getting an upgrade.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I know a couple of people that just upgraded to the iPhone 4 from 3GS.

Some just want a good phone. Why pay $200 for a phone that your going to use just as much/the same as $0 phone?

Probably dont even care if its an A4, A5, A6 chip. They don't even know what multithread means and what iOS 7 is.

Could care less about getting an upgrade.

Exactly right. This is why Apple has kept the 4 around as a cheap option. Some people just want a decent smartphone that works for them. The 4 fits this spot perfectly right now.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
Bought two (16GB iPhone 4) when the 4S came out because the shop was doing a great deal so the two phones cost me the same as a single 16GB 4S would have. That way, my wife and I both got one. Turns out to be a great little phone and easy to jailbreak when I need to for travelling purposes (usually in the US where prepay SIMs don't allow tethering, in which case why give me 2GB of data dummies!) and I'll likely keep them for a while longer. Cosmetically no problems and still good enough for my needs especially since I have a cellular iPad mini on the same data plan so having the latest and greatest iPhone is less of an issue. Got to admit the 3G DC-HSPA+ speed on the iPad mini puts the iPhone 4 to shame typically getting 13+Mbps when the iPhone 4 only manages 5 in the same location. At least I can tether my laptop off either device.

echo2011

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
I've had my 4 with Verizon for 20 months now, my upgrade is this Saturday and I'm going in the local retail store and getting a black 5, I was going to get the 4s but the more reviews I've read convinced me to get the 5. The 4 isn't really "lagging" but I do want a better camera and the LTE looks amazing, plus the resale for the 5 should be good for the next upgrade date.

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
That's awesome. I've been considering giving old iPhones to family members as well. I want to give my iPhone 4 to my mom but it usually takes me a while be complete transition from on device to another. Hell, I was using my original iPhone the entire time I was using my iPhone 4. And since I don't use my original iPhone as much, I could give that to my mom and that would actually be an upgrade from the "smartphone" she has now haha.

By original, do you mean the first one?

Wow... it is incredibly generous of you, to actually consider giving your old phone to your mother or other members of your family. You are a good son, she must be very proud.

Plus, giving it to your family (instead of selling it to a stranger) has the advantage that you can demand they give it back if you need it.

*Full disclosure, I am currently holding a long position in AAPL.

Ouch...! :D

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
My wife just got her first iPhone this weekend an iPhone 4 (I finally wised up and came back to iPhone after a year
Stint with Windows Phone and android, I got a 5)

For her she didn't want to spend a ton of money and nothing on the 4s (including the better is upgrades) was a deal for her.

In all honesty she probably knows she will get my 5 when the 5S/6 comes out.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012

I have never had an iPhone before, despite being an Apple guy. I bought a couple 5's last week for my wife and I, but took them back after I learned some new issues with Straight Talk.

My Verizon upgrade isn't until May 31st, but I have to get rid of my Android, which takes 15 to 20 seconds to just make a call.

Seeing a lot of iPhone 4's on Craigslist for $200. Figured I could get one and use it until my upgrade.

What were the issues with Straight Talk?

Arcade

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Bronx, NY
My first iphone 4 that I got for free last month from verizon already love it. I kick my self why I did not get an iphone sooner :(

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia

Go for it - The 4 will be pretty decent for at least another year. Worth $200 IMO :)

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
I was using my iphone 4 for ipod but gave It to my mother, and a friend of mine is still using his iphone 4 as a main phone :)

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I'm still using my "first day" 4. The contract finished last June and I had planned to wait until the 5 was released before upgrading. I wasn't that impressed by the 5 so I'm probably going to stick with what I've got for now.

Vinamra

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I'm still using an iPhone 4 (will be upgrading to the 5 soon). Since the keyboard dimensions are exactly the same, be it 5 or 4, I'd suggest you rather go for a 4S. Its faster than the 4, currently offers almost all the software features that the iPhone 5 has and since 4G/LTE is not a problem for you, it wouldn't affect your daily usage. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.