Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nigameash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
Space: The Final Frontier
I was thinking about this the other day. What are your thoughts on apple including bootcamp on their iOS lineup in the future. It would be the same as including bootcamp to allow macs to run windows. Is that a possibility for the future? Apple's hardware is top notch and it would satisfy the need for a more open os.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
As a Consumer: Cool idea!

As Reality: It'll never happen. The Mac was a 4% computer in a 90% Windows world. They had everything to gain and nothing to lose. The iPhone does not have that dynamic, though. By doing this Apple risks losing more customers with iPhones to Android than it stands to gain by people buying iPhones for this sole feature.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
What would be the point? The only reason bootcamp exists on OSX is because some companies require the use of Windows or Windows programs. For a phone it wouldn't really matter.

That being said, the idea of dual booting an iPhone would be cool. I'd choose Windows Phone 8 as my second mobile OS.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
That being said, the idea of dual booting an iPhone would be cool. I'd choose Windows Phone 8 as my second mobile OS.

That would be my choice as well. If there was a way to do this and purchase or have trial runs of different OS's, I would give that a try. I'm not ready to risk buying a whole other phone just to try a new OS.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
That would be my choice as well. If there was a way to do this and purchase or have trial runs of different OS's, I would give that a try. I'm not ready to risk buying a whole other phone just to try a new OS.

The only issue I would see from that for Apple is it makes it easier for people to try out a new OS and potentially switch.

But the concept is cool. BB 10 Lite? Then I could try it out without dropping cash on a BB 10 device.

nigameash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
If I decide to switch from iOS to Android or another OS, at present I would need to purchase a new phone (hardware) directly from Samsung or nokia or whoever. In that case, Apple not only loses me as an iOS customer but also loses iPhone sales. With bootcamp, Apple can at least get the profits from me buying Apple hardware.

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
And then who would provide drivers for the new OS? There's no way Apple would release Boot Camp for iOS without providing their own drivers, in which case, they now have to spend resources maintaining compatibility. Would it be worth the extra effort and cost to Apple? Doubt it.

nigameash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
I like OS X on my MBP, I would never use another OS. That does not mean there are not hundreds of thousands of people who buy Macs and use windows on it. Obviously Apple will have to provide drivers. Apple doesn't support every OS on Bootcamp on the mac, just a select few. They make a lot more than they spend on developing the drivers for you. Take the cost of an unsubsidized iphone 5 at 699, 799, 899. There's no way that apple cant provide drivers and make a profit off the handsets.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
The only issue I would see from that for Apple is it makes it easier for people to try out a new OS and potentially switch.

But the concept is cool. BB 10 Lite? Then I could try it out without dropping cash on a BB 10 device.

RIM could prepare a HTML5 based demo that any iOS/Android/WP8 owners could test out using their browser. Won't have full functionality but it would be a great way for any users to test out the UI

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.