Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO
Ok...just bought a new iPad 4 for a steal on Craigslist. It was a gift to the guy, and so he got it for free, but I paid basically half of retail. It's great, and I like it a lot...but I really am digging the size of the iPad Mini better.

A guy at work is offering to trade me even for a mint 2009 13" MacBook Pro that has 8gb of memory and is upgraded to run as fast as an iP4.

I'm not someone who would invest $2000+ in a Mac even if I could because most of my stuff is surfing the web, email, and stuff like that. I'm not a high tech guy!

But...I've always wanted a MBP, and although this is not the retina model, it's nice.

WOULD YOU TRADE YOUR IPAD4 FOR A MINT 2009 13" MACBOOK PRO?

Yes, or no...considering my techyness...and why? :confused:

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
It'll depend on what you want to do... You've said you've always wanted a MacBook Pro. This seems like a fair trade. A 2009 MBP 13" fetches over $600 still on eBay, so it seems even.

I'd inquire about battery life and check the thing out first. If it needs to be plugged in all the time, do you want to be tethered to a wall or get 12+ hours of battery life with a portable iPad 4?

Also, I doubt the MBP will get updates after this year. Your iPad 4 will most likely get up to or past iOS 8 and still be a great investment.

Lastly, Retina iPad 4 vs. Macbook Pro 13" with relatively low resolution (by today's standards). I traded in my MBP 13" for a 15" last year because the 13" screen seemed fuzzy to me and wasn't an enjoyable experience for long term use. The iPad 4 has it beat here. The retina display is remarkable!

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
It isn't a bad trade, but to me it would feel like trading new tech for slightly old tech. But if the useage of the 2009 MBP is up to your needs, by all means go through with the trade.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
To me the decision would be about form factor. The fact that it's older tech is somewhat irrelevant unless you plan to work with really high horsepower apps. I'm still running a 2007-era MacBook Pro (before the unibody design) and it is still running strong (with a RAM and HD upgrade performed a few years ago). A 2009 MBP would still run quite well for most tasks.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Two things.
#1, it's a no brainer to trade for the Mac.
#2, people lie on Craigslist. "Gifts" are usually stolen items.

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO
Thanks for the replies & objectivity. It turned out that I couldn't give up the portability of the iPad...so I kept it and bought an iMac thinking that would be the combo I needed. After only two days I realized I was simply not a desktop guy...so I sold it & got a nice deal on that same 2009 13" MBP I considered originally!

I'm very happy now to have the best of both worlds. Now, as a total Apple OSX virgin...I'll be spending a lot of time here & on my Mac learning how to roll with this new world of computing. Ought to be a lot of fun!

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO
I would trade, if MBP is 2012 model. Otherwise, keep your iPad!

Not much chance of anybody trading their 2012 MBP for an iPad even w/$200 on my side...

I'm pretty happy with my older model now as it's going to serve as my tool for learning, since I'm a total newbie to OSX.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
I own an iPad 1, iPad 4, Macbook Pro 13" and a Macbook Pro 15" - I prefer the MBPs more - but they're two different devices.

I'd rather have a Macbook Pro than an iPad.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Ok...just bought a new iPad 4 for a steal on Craigslist. It was a gift to the guy, and so he got it for free, but I paid basically half of retail. It's great, and I like it a lot...but I really am digging the size of the iPad Mini better.

A guy at work is offering to trade me even for a mint 2009 13" MacBook Pro that has 8gb of memory and is upgraded to run as fast as an iP4.

I'm not someone who would invest $2000+ in a Mac even if I could because most of my stuff is surfing the web, email, and stuff like that. I'm not a high tech guy!

But...I've always wanted a MBP, and although this is not the retina model, it's nice.

WOULD YOU TRADE YOUR IPAD4 FOR A MINT 2009 13" MACBOOK PRO?

Yes, or no...considering my techyness...and why? :confused:

Yup. MacBook Pro can actually have two apps open side by side (ex. Messages and Safari), bigger screen, app openness, and you can use Spotify for free as opposed to Spotify for iOS.

You will lose out on portability but it's a small price to pay. I still have a MacBook Pro from 2007 that can run Apple's latest OS and is functionally in 2013 - the first generation iPad can't even run iOS 6 (and it's a slouch on iOS 5).

Last edited:

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
most of my stuff is surfing the web, email, and stuff like that. I'm not a high tech guy!

That is the #1 reason why you want to keep the iPad 4....seriously. ;)

The iPad was designed and excels at all of the above. It has even cannibalized Mac sales and even more so Windows PC sales.

There is nothing like being able to instantly turn on the iPad and start surfing, checking email and listening to Internet radio and playing tablet games. And there is NO maintenance when using the iPad. Apple has taken all the tech stuff out of the device so you can enjoy using it.

I was recently thinking of buying a new 13" MBP and decided that my needs are met with the iPad.

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO
That is the #1 reason why you want to keep the iPad 4....seriously. ;)

The iPad was designed and excels at all of the above. It has even cannibalized Mac sales and even more so Windows PC sales.

There is nothing like being able to instantly turn on the iPad and start surfing, checking email and listening to Internet radio and playing tablet games. And there is NO maintenance when using the iPad. Apple has taken all the tech stuff out of the device so you can enjoy using it.

I was recently thinking of buying a new 13" MBP and decided that my needs are met with the iPad.

Thanks for all the input. I actually ended up keeping the iPad, and also buying a 2009 13" MBP as well! So, I pretty much have the best of all things now.

Being (like I posted earlier) a total newb to OSX, I'm "learning my way" my Pro basically by trial and error, but it's an adventure and I'm ok with it. I find myself messing with the Pro more than my iPad lately simply because of the newness and unfamiliarity of it vs. the iPad which is almost insanely simple and easy to use.

Not sure if I'd give up my iPad or the MBP at this point, although I have to admit that I can do all I want to do on the iPad 4 and OS6...and frankly the MacBook is serving as more of an educational tool right now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.