Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
I'm in the process of upgrading my Apple TV Software for over 1 hour now.

It is suck on the Step 1 of 2: preparing Update...
Do not unplug your Apple TV while updating.
Any idea what to do? The status bar is about 80% done.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I'm in the process of upgrading my Apple TV Software for over 1 hour now.

Any idea what to do? The status bar is about 80% done.

Mine seems to be stuck, too. Could be server load. I'm gonna let it go and see how the next hour goes.

jeff92k7

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
Oddly enough, one of mine is doing the same thing. I haven't tried the upgrade on the other one yet.

I don't have any ideas yet but have been trying to find others with similar issues to see if I can figure it out.

Mine is an Apple TV 3rd Gen connected via 5GHz wireless N. After the issues with the last update over wired, I started this one on a WiFi connection...yet here we sit.

How is yours connected?

Jeff

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
Oddly enough, one of mine is doing the same thing. I haven't tried the upgrade on the other one yet.

I don't have any ideas yet but have been trying to find others with similar issues to see if I can figure it out.

Mine is an Apple TV 3rd Gen connected via 5GHz wireless N. After the issues with the last update over wired, I started this one on a WiFi connection...yet here we sit.

How is yours connected?

Jeff
Mine is the latest version connected via wifi. Going to leave it running for now as well. Scared to unplug it.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
Exactly the same situation here -- mine's been holding for almost two hours at that point.

UPDATE: Completed. The total time would have been somewhere between two and four hours.

Last edited:

jeff92k7

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
How long did it take to get there? Mine's been parked at step 1 of 2 for over 2 hrs.

I think mine was getting close to 3 hours at step 1 before I noticed that it finally went to step 2. Thankfully, step 2 only took about 5-10 minutes.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I'm about at 3 hrs now at Step 1.

That was scary.

It's done, and I only noticed right after dinner when I came up to check and saw the normal home screen back.

I like how I can stream my music in a little more well-presented way now, without having to go through the "Computers" icon to access Home Sharing. In fact, it seems like that button is redundant. What does it do now?

I'll play around with the keyboard later to see if I can pair it in settings.

----------

That was scary.

It's done, and I only noticed right after dinner when I came up to check and saw the normal home screen back.

I like how I can stream my music in a little more well-presented way now, without having to go through the "Computers" icon to access Home Sharing. In fact, it seems like that button is redundant. What does it do now?

I'll play around with the keyboard later to see if I can pair it in settings.

Does anyone know if the "Trailer Poster" option was there before the update for your screen saver? Because I dig that! That's going to be my default SS now.

Fissure

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I'm at 2hrs and about 15min, still at approximately 85%

Read on Apple's Support Forums to do this and it worked for me:

Hold down the Menu and Down Arrow button on your remote until the Apple TV reboots. It's light will flash rapidly while it does so. It should come back up normally. Do the update again and it'll finish Step 1 much faster.

Last edited:

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
Step one is to change your sleep timer to NEVER.

Then you can update. Took me about 10 mins if that.

Before, I had to unplug it and plug it back in. Didn't do any damage though

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
It's weird...I have 2...Neither will update over ethernet, but pulling the cord usually works. The living room unit went fine, the bedroom one is CRAWLING at step 1, but it is moving.

Remember that it verifies the update so it could just be red-lining server issues.

Marniem

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
Thanks for the fix

I had a frozen update with my ATV 3 as described here, and Fissure's reboot tip combined with Costino1's tip on setting sleep to "never" fixed things here right away. Many thanks!

ebnyc

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
My ATV3 update failed the first time on Wired Ethernet, but worked when I switched to WiFi. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.