Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2crazy

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2012
Saint Louis
Can I ask a question. Do any of your with Apple TV have issues with the AirPlay default being stuck on OFF every time you turn on your TV?

It drives me nuts that I have to go into settings to turn it ON before it works each time. I am curious to know if it is only me, or a common issue. Thanks.

I have 3 Apple TV 3's in my household, and never experienced this issue on any of them.

Hede

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2011
Denmark
Got two ATVs. An ATV3 wired that is updating very slow, still at step 1 of 2 preparing update... and an ATV2 also wired that finished in minutes :rolleyes:

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
I note 5.2 still doesn't fix the Netflix syncing issue introduced in 5.1...

If you watch a whole episode it doesn't move to the next and if you check your viewing history online it says 0 mins viewed ie. hasn't synced viewed position back to Netflix. Watch 5 mins and stop it syncs, watch whole episode and 0 mins.

Have now filed a bug report with Apple as getting really annoyed by this now, can't believe more people haven't noticed.

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
Dream on. The media companies are the roadblock there, no Apple. And it ain't changing anytime soon. In fact, it's technically illegal to even rip your movies from DVD.

Absolutely correct. If the media companies would be willing to work out some deals, I am sure Apple would be all over it.

Dingerz

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
I have 3 Apple TV 3's in my household, and never experienced this issue on any of them.

Thanks. I do wonder if this is related to me turning off the electricity bar to my entertainment system each night. Many other defaults and login information for Netflix/Vimeo etc are remembered, so I am not sure why AirPlay defaults to that.

I'll have to do some research to see if this is somehow related to settings on my iMac etc. (or something interfering)

machpost

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC
In case anyone was wondering if this so-called update was going to brick some people's Apple TVs, I can answer with an emphatic YES. I've successfully bricked not just my Apple TV 2, but the 3 as well. They're both stuck at the "What's New" screen.

********* Apple :rolleyes:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That's one of Apple's biggest competitors. It's never going to support Amazon Prime streaming, just like it's never going to support Google Play or Android mirroring.

Many thought the same thing about Netflix streaming, yet Apple added that. I guess we will see.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Meh....

I want to see NAS support so I don't have to have my main Mac on all the time, just to watch a movie. It's not an unusual request, Apple. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Virtually every other network streaming player out there does this.

You shall not NAS!

Don't you know, with the cloud comes control! And control is power over your subjects muahaha!

Seriously though, I agree with you. Being able to plug in your own storage would be nice.

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
In case anyone was wondering if this so-called update was going to brick some people's Apple TVs, I can answer with an emphatic YES. I've successfully bricked not just my Apple TV 2, but the 3 as well. They're both stuck at the "What's New" screen.

********* Apple :rolleyes:

That sucks! Please advise as to what you do to fix it, so when it happens to the rest of us we know what to do. Thx!

sno1man

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
for those that have gotten a "stuck"

And there goes that theory! :D

-Kevin

well I had success after taking drastic measures. Mine was stuck at about 2/3rds of the way on "step 1 of 2 preparing update"

1. I pulled the plug, crossed my fingers, counted to ten and plugged it back in. The unit came right back up but of course was still not updated.

2. Selected the update software again and it went really quickly at first then stalled again at the 2/3rds point on step 1 of 2

3. Tried the other ATV in the house and it updated without issues and in about 6 minutes total time.

4. Compared what was different between the two the one that was failing was the setting on "Sleep After". The one that was failing was set to "Never". The one that worked was set to "5 hours"

5. Set the failing unit to the 5 hour setting and tried again and it worked without a hitch...

Why that would make a difference is beyond me:confused:, but regardless it's working now and hopefully this info might help someone else.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
I use my AppleTV often, like 2-3 times a week for AirPlay and 1 time every 1-2 week i rent a movie with friends! It is like sunday is Pizza and AppleTV day!

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Sadly yes.....shocking that Apple can't do a stable ATV update to save their lives!

-Kevin

Apple engineers have even told devs to keep a micro usb cable.

Best practices and all that stuff.

:)

And btw I've found that using iTunes to restore the Apple TV right after a new update works every time. At least it has for me.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
That was a major selling point when I got a new TV...it had to have amazon prime built in since ATV does not.

I have two TV's, both Samsung, one has SMART the other does. The one WITHOUT has my Roku hooked up, no point in getting an additional device for the SMART TV when it has Netflix, which is why I want the aTV to have both because I wouldmuch prerfer it over the Smart Feature and the use of AirPlay.

----------

Yeah. It's time for Apple to up this thing up for more apps. Give me Amazon VOD, Spotify and Pandora. Let me take off the things I don't use.

I agree completely.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
I agree... but I doubt Apple would do this, since it would undermine iTunes and iCloud sales. As always, it's all about Apple's bottom line - never about its customers' needs or wishes.

Well they are seriously mistaken if they actually believe people will re-purchase movies they already have (saved to their NAS) just so iCloud can stream it to the ATV.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
cool. but why not just allow us to attach a big hard drive to a router and have a "home" cloud. so i can have all my content including movies at my tv without the need to start up my mac.

oh and let the apple tv wake up my tv!

Zaqfalcon

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
Can someone please tell me what the point of iTunes in the Cloud (or Match) on an Apple TV is? You can already stream your music to your Apple TV over wifi direct from your computer without having to waste your network download gigabytes. It's not like you can use an Apple TV without a computer and there must be very few people who don't download the music they've purchased onto their computer. Don't get it.

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
well I had success after taking drastic measures. Mine was stuck at about 2/3rds of the way on "step 1 of 2 preparing update"

1. I pulled the plug, crossed my fingers, counted to ten and plugged it back in. The unit came right back up but of course was still not updated.

2. Selected the update software again and it went really quickly at first then stalled again at the 2/3rds point on step 1 of 2

3. Tried the other ATV in the house and it updated without issues and in about 6 minutes total time.

4. Compared what was different between the two the one that was failing was the setting on "Sleep After". The one that was failing was set to "Never". The one that worked was set to "5 hours"

5. Set the failing unit to the 5 hour setting and tried again and it worked without a hitch...

Why that would make a difference is beyond me:confused:, but regardless it's working now and hopefully this info might help someone else.

Wow, that is interesting. Thx for the info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.