Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I get an error message saying it can't be verified as I'm not connected to the Internet. I am connected. I have the current version of iTunes.

I tried it with a USB connection to both a desktop/Windows and to a Macbook. Same error. Then I tried it over the air. Same. It downloads and extracts but then quits during verification.

There was a comment on the Apple support forums that it was happening to many (all?) Touch 5G users but I don't know if that's really true or not.

Xeblade

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2011
I get an error message saying it can't be verified as I'm not connected to the Internet. I am connected. I have the current version of iTunes.

I tried it with a USB connection to both a desktop/Windows and to a Macbook. Same error. Then I tried it over the air. Same. It downloads and extracts but then quits during verification.

There was a comment on the Apple support forums that it was happening to many (all?) Touch 5G users but I don't know if that's really true or not.

This is also happening to me! Tried OTA and iTunes. Haven't been able to update yet. Wasted 1GB of my capped internet!

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Haven't attempted and don't intend to for a few days because there's always gridlock when an iOS is updated.

Most likely Apple's servers are on overload right now. Give it some time.

Except it only seems to be happening to Touch 5G owners. I'm seeing successful reports from iPhone and iPad owners.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
No chance for iPod touch 5Gen ... Ok on 4Gen and iPad 3 ... I tried the 5Gen with several ways but finally had to restore. Not very amazing.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Just tried again and it worked. Didn't do anything different (no restarts or anything)

Aangair

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2012
Yeah it's because Apple had some problems with it and it got released after all the other upgrades. Atleast now it works though so that's all good:)

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Yeah it's because Apple had some problems with it and it got released after all the other upgrades. Atleast now it works though so that's all good:)

Can you give a source for your claim that Apple had problems with it and delayed the release?

Sounds odd, since 6.1 was released yesterday and folks owing iPads and iPods were able to complete concurrent installs.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
I updated my 64GB iPod touch 5th Gen via OTA (Over the air) on Wi-Fi yesterday. It had no problem at all, and it was really fast too! The iPod said it was a 90MB file.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

I initially got that message but then it installed after a dozen tries or so. I think the Apple servers were probably getting overloaded.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
  • Apple release iOS 6.1
  • Servers get overloaded
  • Apple turn off 6.1 verification for iPod touch users
  • The "more important" iPhone users get server priority
  • Server load eases
  • Apple turn on 6.1 verification for iPod touch users

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.