Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2011
still missing the sequence:

1 backup your content in tunes
2 firmware restore to 6.1
3 restore your content backup from 1

A restore has to be done or is that just recommended for a clean install? Isn't updating via iTunes allow you to still save your blobs?

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
still missing the sequence:

1 backup your content in tunes
2 firmware restore to 6.1
3 restore your content backup from 1

Got it. I always do a backup before I sync anything anyway, so I'm covered there.

For #2, that would be the update. But for #3, everytime I've done a firmware update, none of my content was erased, with the exception of any JB apps that I have. I would assume that the same would happen here, unless Apple is returning the iPhone to stock after the firmware update. Is that the case?

BL.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
I always do a restore instead of an update, start clean.

You can always get your stuff back with the regular itunes backup, takes a bit more time but it makes sure you'll really start fresh.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Not that I disagree that Apple is stubborn - they are - but I think the majority of people with iDevices are fine with iOS the way it is. I think a lot of people have no idea what an iDevice is capable of, and what to us seems so glaringly evident as a weakness is just not on their radar screen. That Twitter petition for an open iOS - yes, I signed it - hasn't even hit 10k signatures yet. How big can the demand for an open OS really be?

Of course, the near-Orwellian double-think that goes on at Apple doesn't help either.

The thing is, Apple will be losing people as time goes on, and the people with older Jailbroken iPhones switch to Android, and people see what Android is capable of customization wise. Sure, it's not a majority of users who want to JB, but it's still in the millions.

So the question is - how many of those people would stop buying Apple products if jailbreaks were made functionally impossible?

I'd switch to Android eventually (after the 4S and 5.0.1 becomes too old to bear).

I hate the thought of people piracing apps but I think that it should be obvious that we should be able to tweak our themes.

If only Apple could let us do that then the jailbreak would serve no purpose.

You'd need root access to do everything, like getting free tethering, which is the original feature that drove me to JB.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
A restore has to be done or is that just recommended for a clean install? Isn't updating via iTunes allow you to still save your blobs?

Only consideration for SHSH's is the OTA update.

Like said before a clean restore is best.

SHSH's can be saved without actually being on 6.1

I'm still on 6.01 and 5.1.1 but have 6.1 SHSH's saved with TU and redsn0w

jps1012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
NYC
If I do the restore today can i skip that part when the JB comes out. I remember in the past part of the JB instructions from green poison is to restore.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
If I do the restore today can i skip that part when the JB comes out. I remember in the past part of the JB instructions from green poison is to restore.

No.

That's not actually restoring, it's jailbreaking.

Restore/Update to 6.1, save your blobs, and wait.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
When the 6.1 JB comes out. What is the best process of going from a tethered JB on an iPhone 4 6.1 to an untethered? Re-run JB tool? Restore and run JB tool?

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I have a horrible battery on my 4s
Should I rest all settings? Maybe reset network?

There is no way you can evaluate battery life thus far as the update has been out for hours.

Did you restore to 6.1, or update? If not, try restoring first.

Next, charge your battery to 100%, run it down to nothing, and then charge it back up again.

After taking those steps, compare battery life

Darkhrse99

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
New Mexico
My phone is now backed up,restored, and synced finished on iTunes with all my data back on. It's also charged 100%, so I'm going to see how my battery last this time. I took pics from this weekend and to me my battery was sucking.

Attachments

• IMG_0886.PNG
    IMG_0886.PNG
    92.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0888.PNG
    IMG_0888.PNG
    92.2 KB · Views: 74

Knockoutjosie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2012
There is no way you can evaluate battery life thus far as the update has been out for hours.

Did you restore to 6.1, or update? If not, try restoring first.

Next, charge your battery to 100%, run it down to nothing, and then charge it back up again.

After taking those steps, compare battery life

It drined from 86 all the way to 57 now under 30 min :eek:

Beeray

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2011
I did a foolish thing, I updated ota before reading this. How would I do a new install of 6.1.

Thanks for any help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.