Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I'm not sure about anyone else, but with Apple, updating is just hassle free.

You get the message saying update is available, click update and just let your phone do the rest. Only once have I had a problem, but with iCloud I just got everything back to the way it was within half an hour.

Same happens on Android and Windows Phone, you get a notification that a system update is available, you tap it and update.

Sellewiet

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2012
Yeah but they just gave it the same name, but not all features are supported on all devices, so that % is a bit skewed. With Android, if a device has JellyBean, it has all the features of JellyBean.

Attachments

• ios6-chart5.png
    ios6-chart5.png
    74.6 KB · Views: 180

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Mac journalism expired about the time MacUser magazine ceased printing and has steadily devolved into unabashed fanboism, embarrassing leg humping and school girl cheerleading. The dangerous thing is that Apple probably believes it all and has gone tone deaf to valid analysis and criticism.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

That was quick.
Thank you for proving my point.
The check is in the mail.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
Yeah but they just gave it the same name, but not all features are supported on all devices, so that % is a bit skewed. With Android, if a device has JellyBean, it has all the features of JellyBean.

Lets see... iPod touch doesn't have FaceTime over cellular because..... it doesn't have cellular chips perhaps? Granted, Apple seems to hold back features for unknown reasons (why no panorama function on the ipad mini) but most features carry over if thay can be supported by the hardware.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
We devs <3 iOS user's track record of staying up to date

I'd like it if springboard (the Homescreen) was a bit more... IDK, active... In iOS 7. IE, if the temperature icon updated on its own, and the ability to have widgets. But I'm sure you've all heard that before so I won't go into detail. If Apple adds those, I'll see absolutely no advantage to using Android or Windows or BB over iOS...

I've never understood this. I mean the calendar icon is updated with the current day so at some level the support is there.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Count me in the 40%. 2/3 of my iDevices are running iOS 5, my iPad since it's JB, and my 4th gen iPod Touch since it's slow enough as it is. Wish I'd kept iOS 4 on both. Part of the reason for these numbers may be the lack of downgradeability. You upgrade and don't like it? Too bad. You need to do a restore? You're stuck with the new, slower OS. Imagine if they pulled that **** on the Mac :eek:

Actually, people would complain and still buy them anyways :rolleyes:

flipperfeet

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2003
Santa Cruz, CA
Game is unchanged for Android

Apparently you haven't used any version of Android in the last few years, not to mention 4.2 The keyboard in 4.2 is so much better than iOS it's ridiculous. Not to mention the "GUI" in 4.2 absolutely smokes iOS these days.

People who insist that iOS is still at the top of the heap do so out of ignorance. The game has changed people.

Actually, under Android I think the game has not so much changed as it has reverted to pre iOS rules. if you want the new feature set in Android, you have to replace your device. That is exactly how it worked with non-smart phones prior to 2007. It is how it works with any non-maintenance release of Android today.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
The App Store google maps app is so much better than the one built into iOS 5. I have an iPad on iOS 6 with much better google maps!

Umm, no you don't. Google Maps is still designed only for the iPhone screen, so it's a pretty frustrating experience using it on the iPad. Possible, of course, but very awkward at either 1x or 2x size. iOS 5 "Google" Maps or iOS 6 Apple Maps are both (excusing the latter's possible glitches) much more pleasant to use on the iPad.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
The fact they keep track of the number as notifications and messages received/sent scares the s*** out of me.
And you think AT&T, Verizon, & Sprint don't? You don't think Google or Facebook tracks numbers of messages sent?

Keeping track of messages sent <> reading your messages.

Eric E. Schmidt

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2012
Calif
What scares the S*** out of me is Obama's executive order enabling him to shut down the internet with the snap of a finger. He could therefore prevent communication between people trying to overthrow him like was done in the Middle East last year.

i think you would find that obama switching off the internet would result in new government faster than any revolution to date.

there are agencies with licenses to kill you if they see fit. i find that much more disturbing.

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
I haven't been to a movie theater since 1998 so yea, it's meaningless to me also.

Really? I go to a few movies a year, and I'd love to be able to buy my tickets from my phone. Most of the theaters in my area do not support the feature through the Flixster app.

arbitter

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
Belgium
I'm still stuck with 4.2.1 on m 2nd gen iPod Touch, getting rather frustrating when downloading apps though. Nearly 50% of the apps give errors when trying to install: 'requires iOS 4.3', 'requires Open GL whatever', ... , and you can't see it before clicking the button. Ofcourse it's normal my hardware doesn't support it, nevertheless a notification before clicking the install button twice would be handy.
I still find, with this old device and old software, the browser and music player running so smooth for being more than three years old. I remember still seeing those cheapo Samsung 'smart'phones, requiring you to click each link twice before actually going there, and really having the slowest loading times I've ever seen. Ofcourse, that's very low-end and can't really be compared to a 'expensive' iPod touch.

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011

So when you update the Galaxy SII to Jellybean you get NFC?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I'm just curious why this devolves into yet another thread about iOS vs Android. I guess because the editor posted link/flamebait?

Silly nonsense. To each their own. I'd gather most people here aren't affected by not being on Jelly Bean. And those that do have newer Android devices either have it - or are fine at the moment with ICS.

But don't let me stop the cyber tar and feathering :rolleyes:

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008

So what if some features are not supported on some iOS devices? At least they can run all the latest iOS 6 apps and that's what's count.

The real problem with fragmentation is the mess it causes to developers trying to reach the most users possible without having to create multiple versions.

How many versions of Android a developer will have to target if it wants to reach 300 millions potential customers? I bet it's a lot more and that it would have to cover versions all the way back to 2.2... This means in many cases, a lot more work and a lot more testing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.