Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:30 AM   #1
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Tax return - TurboTax vs. H&R Block At Home

Well, it's still a little early, but are you filing with TurboTax or H&R Block At Home this year?
TurboTax seems a lot easier to use, but having your return reviewed and signed by an H&R Block agent is compelling, too. Also, it's less expensive.

So, what's it for you this year, and why?

Last edited by Giuly; Jan 28, 2013 at 10:36 AM.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:37 AM   #2
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Neither. I used some free online-based preparation last that I can't remember the name of and I hope to do the same this year. If not, I'll manually enter my tax info on the forms this year. 1040ez's are not hard, anyone can do it and it takes only an hour or two with or without preparation software. Try preparing a schedule D by yourself like I have to because of my stock transactions.
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:38 AM   #3
fhall1
macrumors 68020

Turbotax.....been using it since my pre-Mac days (2007) on the PC....works well and imports previous year data making things rather simple.
fhall1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:18 AM   #4
FoxFifth
macrumors regular

I've been using TaxAct the last 4 or 5 years. Their deluxe bundle which includes federal and state returns and efiling for both is $17.95 and they have been discounting that to $13.95 for returning customers so that is what I have paid every year after the first year. It will import from a variety of sources (although I haven't used that) and also will import from the prior year return which I have used. When I first used it I thought it was more straightforward and easier to use than TurboTax but that is a comparison from 5 years ago. http://www.taxactonline.com
FoxFifth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:33 AM   #5
BlendedFrog
macrumors regular

I have been using turbotax for years. It's been my go-to software and I don't think I could use anything else. I do like the fact that they make it so your tax file is cross-platform compatible. So if you start it on a mac, you can open it on a win pc and finish it.
BlendedFrog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:36 AM   #6
WRP
macrumors 6502a

I used to use TurboTax but found H&R better once I started my business. If you're not married with kids, don't own a home or a business, taxes are pretty simple and it doesn't really matter what you use, IMHO.
WRP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:04 PM   #7
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
Well, it's still a little early, but are you filing with TurboTax or H&R Block At Home this year?
TurboTax seems a lot easier to use, but having your return reviewed and signed by an H&R Block agent is compelling, too. Also, it's less expensive.

So, what's it for you this year, and why?
Turbotax here. I get the digital DL direct from Amazon. Turbotax does a really nice job importing your return from last year. I always e-file with Turbotax and it is very seamless. Also has the option to save a PDF version of the return.

Never used H&R, so can't comment.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:08 PM   #8
talmy
macrumors 68040

I switched from TurboTax to H&R Block about 5 years ago when the former instituted a troublesome anti-piracy measure that prevented printing returns on a second system. I don't think they do that anymore, but Block's lower pricing and the fact they aren't Intuit keeps me with them. My returns are complex with multiple employers, self employment, investments, and retirement income all needing to be factored in. I do occasionally find bugs in Block (I might have found bugs in TurboTax as well!) and it is certainly advisable to know what you are doing and check the final return before submitting if you have anything but a simple return.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:37 PM   #9
zosobao5150
macrumors member

I have also been using taxact for the last 4 or 5 years. Never any issues and pretty cheap. It also imports data well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxFifth View Post
I've been using TaxAct the last 4 or 5 years. Their deluxe bundle which includes federal and state returns and efiling for both is $17.95 and they have been discounting that to $13.95 for returning customers so that is what I have paid every year after the first year. It will import from a variety of sources (although I haven't used that) and also will import from the prior year return which I have used. When I first used it I thought it was more straightforward and easier to use than TurboTax but that is a comparison from 5 years ago. http://www.taxactonline.com
zosobao5150 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:25 PM   #10
MCAsan
macrumors 68030

TT for years
iPad Air | Silver | 128GB | WiFi only
MCAsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:31 PM   #11
in2tech
macrumors member

Downloaded the app from the Mac App store. Is the $29.99 a one time in app purchase and how many family members taxes can you do and how many e-files, or is it $29.99 for each persons taxes?

Has anyone used the Mac App store Turbo Tax?
in2tech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:07 PM   #12
glenthompson
macrumors Demi-God

Used to use TurboTax but Intuit pissed me off so I've been using HR Block for a number of years. In reviews, TurboTax comes out a little ahead but not much. For most filers it doesn't matter as their returns are simple. Most could do fine with the web versions.

The one thing I dislike about both is the cost for state e-filing. Two years ago my son had to file in two states so got dinged for 2 filing fees.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store