Verizon iPhone 5 bad call quality - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 1, 2012, 07:10 PM   #1
wired2apple
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Nyc
Exclamation Verizon iPhone 5 bad call quality

Im in New York, and the 3 new iphones i have all have bad call quality. Breaking up when ringing, and when listening to the other caller. Does anyone else have similar issues? I dont think it could be that unique for 3 devices to have similar issues?

__________________
wired2apple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 07:33 PM   #2
ashenfang
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
yep. I have two iPhone 5's. A white and black 16gb. Both phones suffer from poor sound-call quality. Sometimes it just sounds really muffled and other times the person sounds "robotic". From what I understand this is a common complaint and hopefully will be addressed in the first IOS update.
ashenfang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 07:34 PM   #3
iammike1
macrumors 6502a
 
iammike1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Columbia MD
Maryland here. Same problem.
__________________
15.4" MacBook Pro 2.0 GHz i7 SB 13.3" MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz C2D
iPad 3 32GB Black iPhone 5 64GB Black
iammike1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 01:08 PM   #4
paradise808
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Thumbs down Verizon iPhone 5 Bad Call Quality / LTE Overriding Wifi

I'm not satisfied with the Verizon's iPhone 5's call quality. I've been going back to Apple several times and am on my second phone replacement from Apple. The call quality is choppy, sound goes in and out and the most annoying part is there are times a loud booming metallic echoing sound that drowns the call out. Apple says that they can't figure out the problem yet.

I'm also experiencing that the phone's LTE is overriding my Wifi and using the data instead of the wifi, which caused me to burn through my data plan in 10 days. Apple said that they are aware of that problem and trying to fix it.

The phone is also switching the date / time periodically even when the setting is in manual mode. Apple also said that they are aware of this problem as well. Just very frustrating for an expensive phone.
paradise808 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:01 PM   #5
whiteatom
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
post the apple thread.. they need to know about this..

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19740160#19740160

whiteatom
whiteatom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:31 PM   #6
elpmas
macrumors 68000
 
elpmas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Where the fresh snow don't go.
Hm I have similar issues. :/
__________________
13" Macbook Pro '10
27" iMac i5
TV3
iPhone 5 32gb
elpmas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:13 PM   #7
Paulsan
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradise808 View Post
I'm not satisfied with the Verizon's iPhone 5's call quality. I've been going back to Apple several times and am on my second phone replacement from Apple. The call quality is choppy, sound goes in and out and the most annoying part is there are times a loud booming metallic echoing sound that drowns the call out. Apple says that they can't figure out the problem yet.

I'm also experiencing that the phone's LTE is overriding my Wifi and using the data instead of the wifi, which caused me to burn through my data plan in 10 days. Apple said that they are aware of that problem and trying to fix it.

The phone is also switching the date / time periodically even when the setting is in manual mode. Apple also said that they are aware of this problem as well. Just very frustrating for an expensive phone.
Have you considered turning off cellular data when you only want WiFi?
Paulsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:14 PM   #8
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
i have a verizon iphone 5 and the call quality is crystal clear really... have you guys tried a soft reset? hard reset? restore?
Bahroo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:19 PM   #9
SilentLoner
macrumors 65816
 
SilentLoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahroo View Post
i have a verizon iphone 5 and the call quality is crystal clear really... have you guys tried a soft reset? hard reset? restore?

Yeah I'm the same in Chicago. Perfect here
SilentLoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:27 AM   #10
WiseGuyMac
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I'm on my third handset and am still having the same issues. Verizon blames Apple and Apple just keeps replacing the hardware (when they have them available). Very frustrating as I didn't have this problem on Verizon with my 4S. Only thing different is LTE, which may be the common denominator in all of the problems.
WiseGuyMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:43 AM   #11
smithrh
macrumors 68000
 
smithrh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
iPhone 5 - I have this problem as well.

Store would not replace it as they couldn't reproduce the problem within a minute or so.

Basically, I'm muffled and/or garbled to the other party almost all the time.

However, with a headset, the quality is great - so it's not the network.

The only time I can be understood without a headset, ironically, is when there's a decent amount of background noise. When I'm someplace quiet, that's when the problem is worst.

Given this, I'm suspecting issues with their noise cancellation.
smithrh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:52 AM   #12
WiseGuyMac
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh View Post
iPhone 5 - I have this problem as well.

Store would not replace it as they couldn't reproduce the problem within a minute or so.

Basically, I'm muffled and/or garbled to the other party almost all the time.

However, with a headset, the quality is great - so it's not the network.

The only time I can be understood without a headset, ironically, is when there's a decent amount of background noise. When I'm someplace quiet, that's when the problem is worst.

Given this, I'm suspecting issues with their noise cancellation.
Now that you mention it, the problem isn't as noticeable when I'm using it in the car and there is a decent amount of road noise. You're probably right about the noise cancellation not working quite right. But I can tell you that it's not fixed yet as I'm on my third device (most recently swapped 3 days ago) and the problem still persists. I really don't want to go back to the 4S but I will if I have to as this is driving me nuts!
WiseGuyMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:05 AM   #13
Jem0612
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
The same probleme in Stockholm, Sweden with operator Telia. I am on my third Iphone 5, all with the same probleme.
Jem0612 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:24 AM   #14
macher
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Uh oh wonder if VZW is experiencing the same issues that gave AT&T a bad rep?
macher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:30 AM   #15
LapsangSouchong
macrumors 65816
 
LapsangSouchong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: the burrows
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh View Post
iPhone 5 - I have this problem as well.

Store would not replace it as they couldn't reproduce the problem within a minute or so.

Basically, I'm muffled and/or garbled to the other party almost all the time.

However, with a headset, the quality is great - so it's not the network.

The only time I can be understood without a headset, ironically, is when there's a decent amount of background noise. When I'm someplace quiet, that's when the problem is worst.

Given this, I'm suspecting issues with their noise cancellation.
I suppose it could be. However, I switched back to AT&T and callers are no longer complaining that I sound muffled and tin-y. Perhaps it's partly location. I dunno.
__________________
I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself.
Air, Imac, Black/Slate iPhone 5 (GSM)
LapsangSouchong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:45 AM   #16
macher
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LapsangSouchong View Post
I suppose it could be. However, I switched back to AT&T and callers are no longer complaining that I sound muffled and tin-y. Perhaps it's partly location. I dunno.
I have an AT&T iPhone 5 and VZW iPhone 5(work phone). There is a difference in voice. VZW sounds 'robotic'. But it's not a big deal to me or significant enough.
macher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:27 AM   #17
determined09
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
I was just about to buy a iphone 5 at full price . I think i should wait for the 5s to come out. I would hate to have a phone that the other people will not be able to heard me during the call.
__________________
Verizon IPhone 5 16GB 15" MBP 2009
determined09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:28 AM   #18
smithrh
macrumors 68000
 
smithrh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
I had read in one of the many threads (not just on this site!) that an Apple entity (Apple Ireland?) had notified someone with this problem that it was a known issue and a fix was coming.

I still suspect there's an issue with the noise cancellation. There are 3 microphones, and noise cancellation can be tricky to do right. All of that noise cancellation of course gets turned off if a wired headset is plugged in.
smithrh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:45 AM   #19
determined09
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Look at this link on the verizon forum about the iphone 5 problems.

https://community.verizonwireless.co.../914380#914380

----------

Here's a link to apple forum
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...t=285&tstart=0
__________________
Verizon IPhone 5 16GB 15" MBP 2009
determined09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:05 AM   #20
smithrh
macrumors 68000
 
smithrh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
On the other hand, certainly not every iPhone5 out there suffers with this problem, which complicates the picture.

I'm going to file a bug report with Apple, for all I know they're looking for more examples...
smithrh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:49 PM   #21
smithrh
macrumors 68000
 
smithrh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Anyone with any luck after the 6.1 upgrade?

The folks on the Apple Discussions forum thread seem to be liking the results so far...

Edited to add: So far, 100% positive feedback by the peeps I've called. Hopefully this is fixed.

Last edited by smithrh; Jan 28, 2013 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Added 6.1 fix seems to address the issue
smithrh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:04 PM   #22
iammike1
macrumors 6502a
 
iammike1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Columbia MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh View Post
Anyone with any luck after the 6.1 upgrade?

The folks on the Apple Discussions forum thread seem to be liking the results so far...

Edited to add: So far, 100% positive feedback by the peeps I've called. Hopefully this is fixed.
If you mean the Beta, I'm sure the vast majority of us don't have access to it yet.

EDIT: Wow, didn't they just release a new Beta a few days ago? lol Wasn't expecting a release.
__________________
15.4" MacBook Pro 2.0 GHz i7 SB 13.3" MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz C2D
iPad 3 32GB Black iPhone 5 64GB Black
iammike1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Tags
iphone 5, new york, new york city, verizon

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tmobile iPhone 5--- call quality?? Traderalways iPhone 11 Apr 20, 2013 06:00 PM
Net10 international call quality - very bad araje iPhone 0 Feb 4, 2013 11:05 PM
iPhone 5 call quality & data issues (Verizon/Chicago) Zinthar iPhone 5 Oct 27, 2012 05:04 PM
Verizon Call Quality? walkman iPhone 5 Sep 21, 2012 10:57 PM
iPhone 4s call quality themainevent iPhone 1 Sep 13, 2012 08:43 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC