Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
That is why a lot of people on the forums get the nexus line.

Except Samsung is the market leader in Android phones, not Google. More people actually think of TouchWiz instead of stock Android when you ask them to consider their Android experience.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Except Samsung is the market leader in Android phones, not Google. More people actually think of TouchWiz instead of stock Android when you ask them to consider their Android experience.

I am talking mostly about people on the forums, not the general public. The general public probably has no idea what pure android even means. Personally, I like the s3 better than the nexus, but knowing you will be left in the dust or not the first to get an update is pretty disheartening.

Even then didnt the GNEX on verizon get delayed updates.

meant the nexus phones straight from google.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Samsung is what made android and what always will. The samsung Galaxy line has been insane since the Galaxy S1 & note 1.

I am an owner of the iPhone 5, but cant wait for the Samsung Galaxy S IV or Galaxy Note III!!

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012

Why bother? The author knows nothing of Android or the analytics. His idea of research was probably to peruse places like AppleInsider dot com.

I stopped reading when he called the OS "Android 4". Clueless.

As for Android, the Google Apps are updated constantly. Having the core apps independent means nearly any phone can get the latest and greatest updates to GMail, Maps, etc... Unlike the poor iPhone 4 and iPad owners that got left behind on things like Apple Maps and Siri. And gotta love all the flawed updates Apple has been putting out lately. Apple says, here is your brand new, but slightly used and scratched iPhone 5, but you cant get the latest bug fixes in 6.0.1 because we dorked up the initial release, so please don't try and OTA the update. Apple requests that you have to use your computer to get this latest update. I'm laughing more and more at the constant blunders Apple is making under Tim Cook's leadership.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Agreed^^

I have an android 2.2 phone that i turned on the other day and it was getting updates to mail, maps etc. Huge benefit of android

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006

In one of my college classes last week, the professor was telling us about Feedly. He said it is available for both iOS and Galaxy phones.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
I had an HTC Desire Z until last July when I upgraded due to a bad battery. It was running GB even though ICS was out. Personally, I did not see any features of ICS that I really had to have. I was quite happy on GB which I got around August 2011. I think a few months later I got another update that fixes a few things.

Had my battery not gone bad, I would still be using my Desire Z now. My contract would have ran out in March of this year. I did fire up my old phone a few times just to test some app updates. I can pretty much use any app I currently use on my current phone (SGS3 running JB).

I guess I just don't understand why people have to have the latest version of anything even if an older version works for them. It's not like a phone running GB is unusable. You can still run most of the most popular apps that people use. I see so many people on tech forums who think their phone is a POS the moment a new version of the phone OS comes out that they cannot get immediately.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
In one of my college classes last week, the professor was telling us about Feedly. He said it is available for both iOS and Galaxy phones.

Isn't Feedly an RSS aggregator for news? What does that have to do with my comment?

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
And thats why you have CM. So all of this is a moot point anyway. There are huge communities out there cooking roms for all kinds of phones years after.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Isn't Feedly an RSS aggregator for news? What does that have to do with my comment?

I was concurring with what you wrote in the comment I quoted.

Edit: To be more clear, many people think of them as Galaxy phones rather than Android phones. I was just agreeing with your TouchWiz comment.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
I was concurring with what you wrote in the comment I quoted.

Edit: To be more clear, many people think of them as Galaxy phones rather than Android phones. I was just agreeing with your TouchWiz comment.

Ah, I'm a dumbass. I just realized what you meant to say. You know, it goes to prove the point that the terms are seen as interchangeable, even by us, if only subconsciously.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
And thats why you have CM. So all of this is a moot point anyway. There are huge communities out there cooking roms for all kinds of phones years after.

That will surely fix it. Because as we all know, everyone likes to root and install a new rom on their phones....

:rolleyes:

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
That will surely fix it. Because as we all know, everyone likes to root and install a new rom on their phones....

:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, this is correct. However, the option is available for most Android phone users unlike with iOS devices running iOS6. And it is a nice option to have. I'm running the latest 4.2.1 on my Nex7, but only running 4.1.1 on my S3, because of the features offered in the ROMs I picked. Things like multi-window, multiple user accounts, ability to view Flash websites, being able to under volt and over clock, etc...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.