Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:15 AM   #1
Irishman
macrumors 68020

New Economist article on Android

http://www.economist.com/blogs/babba...rating-systems

Thoughts?
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:17 AM   #2
mattopotamus
macrumors 604

That is why a lot of people on the forums get the nexus line.
mattopotamus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:06 PM   #3
Irishman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
Except Samsung is the market leader in Android phones, not Google. More people actually think of TouchWiz instead of stock Android when you ask them to consider their Android experience.
Irishman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:45 PM   #4
Zaft
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
Even then didnt the GNEX on verizon get delayed updates.
Zaft is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:45 PM   #5
mattopotamus
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Except Samsung is the market leader in Android phones, not Google. More people actually think of TouchWiz instead of stock Android when you ask them to consider their Android experience.
I am talking mostly about people on the forums, not the general public. The general public probably has no idea what pure android even means. Personally, I like the s3 better than the nexus, but knowing you will be left in the dust or not the first to get an update is pretty disheartening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaft View Post
Even then didnt the GNEX on verizon get delayed updates.
meant the nexus phones straight from google.
mattopotamus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:54 PM   #6
hovscorpion12
macrumors 6502

Samsung is what made android and what always will. The samsung Galaxy line has been insane since the Galaxy S1 & note 1.

I am an owner of the iPhone 5, but cant wait for the Samsung Galaxy S IV or Galaxy Note III!!
hovscorpion12 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:10 PM   #7
siiip5
Banned

Quote:
Why bother? The author knows nothing of Android or the analytics. His idea of research was probably to peruse places like AppleInsider dot com.

I stopped reading when he called the OS "Android 4". Clueless.

As for Android, the Google Apps are updated constantly. Having the core apps independent means nearly any phone can get the latest and greatest updates to GMail, Maps, etc... Unlike the poor iPhone 4 and iPad owners that got left behind on things like Apple Maps and Siri. And gotta love all the flawed updates Apple has been putting out lately. Apple says, here is your brand new, but slightly used and scratched iPhone 5, but you cant get the latest bug fixes in 6.0.1 because we dorked up the initial release, so please don't try and OTA the update. Apple requests that you have to use your computer to get this latest update. I'm laughing more and more at the constant blunders Apple is making under Tim Cook's leadership.
siiip5 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:30 PM   #8
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

Agreed^^

I have an android 2.2 phone that i turned on the other day and it was getting updates to mail, maps etc. Huge benefit of android
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:44 PM   #9
Lava Lamp Freak
macrumors 65816

Quote:
In one of my college classes last week, the professor was telling us about Feedly. He said it is available for both iOS and Galaxy phones.
Lava Lamp Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:10 PM   #10
Stuntman06
macrumors 6502a

I had an HTC Desire Z until last July when I upgraded due to a bad battery. It was running GB even though ICS was out. Personally, I did not see any features of ICS that I really had to have. I was quite happy on GB which I got around August 2011. I think a few months later I got another update that fixes a few things.

Had my battery not gone bad, I would still be using my Desire Z now. My contract would have ran out in March of this year. I did fire up my old phone a few times just to test some app updates. I can pretty much use any app I currently use on my current phone (SGS3 running JB).

I guess I just don't understand why people have to have the latest version of anything even if an older version works for them. It's not like a phone running GB is unusable. You can still run most of the most popular apps that people use. I see so many people on tech forums who think their phone is a POS the moment a new version of the phone OS comes out that they cannot get immediately.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:19 PM   #11
Irishman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
In one of my college classes last week, the professor was telling us about Feedly. He said it is available for both iOS and Galaxy phones.
Isn't Feedly an RSS aggregator for news? What does that have to do with my comment?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:21 PM   #12
surjavarman
macrumors 6502a

And thats why you have CM. So all of this is a moot point anyway. There are huge communities out there cooking roms for all kinds of phones years after.
surjavarman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:29 PM   #13
Lava Lamp Freak
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Isn't Feedly an RSS aggregator for news? What does that have to do with my comment?
I was concurring with what you wrote in the comment I quoted.

Edit: To be more clear, many people think of them as Galaxy phones rather than Android phones. I was just agreeing with your TouchWiz comment.
Lava Lamp Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:43 PM   #14
Irishman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
I was concurring with what you wrote in the comment I quoted.

Edit: To be more clear, many people think of them as Galaxy phones rather than Android phones. I was just agreeing with your TouchWiz comment.
Ah, I'm a dumbass. I just realized what you meant to say. You know, it goes to prove the point that the terms are seen as interchangeable, even by us, if only subconsciously.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:17 PM   #15
jamojamo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjavarman View Post
And thats why you have CM. So all of this is a moot point anyway. There are huge communities out there cooking roms for all kinds of phones years after.
That will surely fix it. Because as we all know, everyone likes to root and install a new rom on their phones....

jamojamo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:35 PM   #16
siiip5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamojamo View Post
That will surely fix it. Because as we all know, everyone likes to root and install a new rom on their phones....

Unfortunately, this is correct. However, the option is available for most Android phone users unlike with iOS devices running iOS6. And it is a nice option to have. I'm running the latest 4.2.1 on my Nex7, but only running 4.1.1 on my S3, because of the features offered in the ROMs I picked. Things like multi-window, multiple user accounts, ability to view Flash websites, being able to under volt and over clock, etc...
siiip5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices