Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:33 PM   #176
downpour
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagolden View Post
Ick! Wouldn't touch it.
Isn't that the point though... If they made them look as good as the premium iPhones a lot less people would buy those. These are meant for people who simply want a cheap phone.

My quick mockup was just based on this wild speculation and the real thing will probably be totally different... if it exists at all.
downpour is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:33 PM   #177
kjs862
macrumors 65816

Some plastic aren't cheap people. I reckon that many plastics are more expensive than aluminum.
kjs862 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:37 PM   #178
downpour
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs862 View Post
Some plastic aren't cheap people. I reckon that many plastics are more expensive than aluminum.
Yeah they don't necessarily have to use plastic to make it cheap. Think how little an iPod shuffle costs Apple to make and they use quite a bit of aluminium in that design.
downpour is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:45 PM   #179
that1guyy
macrumors 6502

What a horrible business decision. Looks like Tim Cook has no damn clue and is just trying to appeal to shareholders. Making cheap plastic crap is something I didn't expect Apple to to, ever. Like other people mentioned, there are the 4/4s if people want low cost. This plastic one is so unnecessary.

I am glad I don't hold Apple stock.

On a somewhat unrelated note, IOS7 better deliver or I think it's time to leave Apple.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:47 PM   #180
chadley_chad
Banned

Waste of time

Never mind ****ing about with a low cost phone, Apple need to get their act together on a decent high end model ... and might I suggest before I plonk down my money on a new Galaxy S4 (because the iPhone 5 is just too boring and low a spec compared to new competitor models!)
chadley_chad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:47 PM   #181
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneJack View Post
ipad mini?
I have that and use it that way. It's great.

For teenagers, pocket ability still matters. It needs to look like an iPhone for this idea to fly.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:53 PM   #182
downpour
macrumors regular

Here is my mockup with the iPod Classic for comparison. Isn't the iPod Classic Aluminium and not plastic anyway?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhone_mockup.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	393221  
downpour is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:54 PM   #183
StoneJack
macrumors 6502

If the lowcost iPhone 5s looks like this

thats a great design and looks fabulous. Its faceplate is of course flat as well as backplate (thats in original message). All iPhones are covered by glass fully too. I wonder if it can be called a durable iPhone (with strong plastic, thats it). It reminds my iPhone 3GS which has been a great phone.
As for this baby, I can tell you that most folks will put on case anyway, so you can't even see if its 5 or 5s low cost or whatever. And imagine 5 colors available, that will be huge hit with youngsters and women (some like silver, blue or even pink!)
----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guyy View Post
What a horrible business decision. Looks like Tim Cook has no damn clue and is just trying to appeal to shareholders. Making cheap plastic crap is something I didn't expect Apple to to, ever. Like other people mentioned, there are the 4/4s if people want low cost. This plastic one is so unnecessary.

On a somewhat unrelated note, IOS7 better deliver or I think it's time to leave Apple.
4/4s are outdated in terms of connector. For a budget solution you don't need expensive glass either, prefer more durable stronger plastic. Also, 4S is a sort of premium phone and not cheap. Its camera alone is as good as any modern PS camera and probably not cheap either.

Last edited by StoneJack; Jan 28, 2013 at 05:10 PM.
StoneJack is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:57 PM   #184
Judas1
macrumors 6502a

I know some of you don't want to hear it, but a budget iPhone is coming. Why? Because there are customers who'll buy a budget iPhone and use it with a prepaid plan. Apple is currently selling their phones with a very high margin. Those that can afford it at this price are already customers. They need new customers. And they can get these customers by selling at a lower margin. It's Econ 101.
Judas1 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:09 PM   #185
Sellewiet
macrumors member

People don't seem to understand what low cost means. It doesn't mean low selling price, but low production price. The 4/4S are still fairly expensive to make in comparison to this new lowcost model. Apple wants to protect their profit margins, they can't raise their price much more, so they have to lower their costs.
Sellewiet is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:14 PM   #186
raptorstv
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos916 View Post
Keep it up apple and ur going to lose customers to the new blackberry phone
Blackberry Z10 is one of the ugliest phones I've seen in a while
raptorstv is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:14 PM   #187
skippymac
macrumors 6502a

I doubt this will happen, but if it does and has a retina display, if it's not going to disrupt 4/4S sales it'll have to be a lot cheaper - resulting in really dated internals.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:26 PM   #188
Windlasher
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
Am i the only one who thinks this is a waste of time? Isn't the 4S/4 more than sufficient for a low cost option?
NO it isn't.

Problem is "perception". people who want a low cost iphone want a new low cost iPhone not a 2 year old (2 generations) ago iPhone. ALso, apple would have to keep making the iphone 4 / 4s with the expensive parts as opposed to making a cheap plastic one with lower cost parts. Even if they just cut out the glass back and metal band, they could save money on each phone.
Windlasher is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:33 PM   #189
beemer226
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellewiet View Post
People don't seem to understand what low cost means. It doesn't mean low selling price, but low production price. The 4/4S are still fairly expensive to make in comparison to this new lowcost model. Apple wants to protect their profit margins, they can't raise their price much more, so they have to lower their costs.
It's about the screen, they are creating a low cost option with the up to date screen size
beemer226 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:35 PM   #190
lantinian
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
I don't understand this low cost thing. Isn't that what selling the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S is for???
The iPhone 4/4S are actually difficult to manufacture and I believe Apple has had enough of them returned within warranty with broken glass.

Apple wants to have a new model with the iPhone 5 ruggedness, iPhone 4S guts , iPhone 4 cost and iPhone 3GS ease of production.
lantinian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:04 PM   #191
ganjardenis
macrumors newbie

If the problem is the screen size, durability, and connector, i personally think that launching the iPhone 5S will make the iPhone 5 the replacement of 4/4S as the new cheap iPhone = durable, 4" screen, and lightning connector + keeping the luxurious form factor.
ganjardenis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:05 PM   #192
waltand07
macrumors newbie

The time has come for Apple to shake things up majorly. They have always claimed to build devices that exude quality not quantity. This might be partially true but we all know Apple wants to expand its market share greatly. A conservative company will not do well in the future. I think Apple should start to license iOS. Imagine the possibilities and impact this could have. Samsung can probably make a killer iOS phone. This may all be a dream, but it would be nice.
waltand07 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:11 PM   #193
alfistas
Banned

I don't think people want a cheaper iphone but rather the iphone to be cheaper.
alfistas is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:20 PM   #194
Twixt
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
Agreed. Not sure why this would be a good idea.
This phone will NOT be available in the US to begin with (or at least not supposed to...) or other countries where regular iphone is successful

This low cost story should lead to a 200 usd price, twice as less as cheapest iphone available at the moment. Do not forget that telcos subsidies are not standard rule for every country, also subsidies will go down to zero with time as low cost carriers are coming and spreading like wildfire...

I can imagine this one will end up in the US sooner or later:
If you have a 199 usd budget and no replacement program available, will you go for low cost iphone or will you cash out 800 usd for regular one?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:20 PM   #195
patchfp86
macrumors newbie

Meh...

This is very anti-Apple. A cheap phone is not Apple's MO. Apple is about providing the best possible user experience to their customers, regardless of cost. We have seen this time and time again. I'm not saying that it will never happen, but I am definitely a skeptic when it comes to Apple releasing products that Tim couldn't say, "Now isn't that beautiful?" Just my opinion!
patchfp86 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:39 PM   #196
joueboy
macrumors 6502

The low cost iPhone...

I believe there will be a low cost iPhone anytime soon but not this stupid rumor. Couple months from now the iPhone 5 will be $99, the cheaper iPhone in the market when iPhone 5s comes out. Then when iPhone 6 comes out the iPhone 5 will be the free iPhone with 2 year contract. Does anybody around here wants their iPhone looks identical to the cheaper iPhone with the case on it? I might as well get the cheap plastic version and put a case on it since everything else are the same. Or maybe the iPhone 5s (16GB) price will go down to $150 and the iPhone 5 will be $50 with contract. The rest will be $199(32GB) $299(64GB) $399(128GB) that 128GB iPad or iPhone is badly needed for serious users.
joueboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:46 PM   #197
SONiC5
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guyy View Post

Okay but, the iPhone 3G and 3GS....

I don't see what the big deal is.
SONiC5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:51 PM   #198
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Traditionally Apple values thin, light, and small. Even if rather gimmicky, the mere presence of an Apple logo will insure these appeal to women & children.

Sad to see Apple spend their time on a trinket like this, but one never knows what the Cupertino Company is thinking.

One things for certain. Between all the pro Apple press & writers on the blogosphere, their will be plenty of demand no matter what these turn out like.
maxosx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:57 PM   #199
somethingelsefl
macrumors 6502

I don't know why this is so upsetting to people...Apple has "Pro" and "Mini" models of other products that are distinctly different from their corresponding counterpart, yet in the same category...why not have a "Pro" model of the iPhone to fill the same function?

That's basically what offering a low-cost iPhone would do. It would make the current iPhone a "Pro" model.
somethingelsefl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:02 PM   #200
intopieces
macrumors newbie

This has been mentioned once in this thread but needs to be mentioned again, I think: The low-cost iPhone is NOT for the United States. It's for emerging markets, where smart phone penetration is very low. Think Africa. Think S.E. Asia. It's possible to make a lot of money only selling a few products but ultimately, even Apple is subject to market saturation.

Here's a segment than ran on NPR that might help explain what I mean.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechcons...-make-the-sale
intopieces is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion