Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipad5back.jpg

Rumored 5th Generation iPad (left) vs iPad mini (right)​

9to5Mac has unconfirmed images of what could be the rear panel for the next iPad. The images match up very closely with a report from last week.
While we cannot confirm that the above image is legitimate, it does provide a solid representation of what Apple's next iPad will likely look like. We were told this is a prototype back piece for the fifth-generation iPad with a 9.7-inch display. We were also told that the casing is almost as thin as the iPad mini's back (pictured to the right). As you can see at the top of the purported iPad 5 backplate, this casing would likely be for an LTE model - as the black antenna cut implies.
ipadside.jpg

The report lines up with iLounge's first description of the new iPad which is expected to arrive in October with smaller, iPad mini-esque bezels and chamfered edges and curves.
What does it look like? Well, it's a lot smaller than one would guess was possible: in portrait orientation, picture a 9.7" screen with virtually no left or right bezels, and only enough space above and below the screen to accommodate the mandatory camera and Home Button elements. Beyond that, it's noticeably thinner, as well, which is to say the the fifth-generation iPad will be smaller in every dimension than its predecessors. As it will have the same chamfered edges and curves, calling it a "stretched iPad mini" is very close to entirely accurate.
Leaks of parts for upcoming Apple products are becoming more and more common as the Asian supply chain grows larger.

Update:

compare.jpg

In this composite, you see the new iPad is much smaller than the current iPad. The iPad 4 (image) and iPad 5 (image) have been overlaid to show the relative sizes.

Update 2: A reader overlaid the screen sizes showing how much of a bezel the new iPad might have.

Update 3: Diwali posted this mockup based on the dimensions of the case:

ipad5_2.jpg

Article Link: First Photos of the iPad 5 Rear Shell Show a Significantly Smaller Enclosure

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Hard to tell from the photos, but it almost looks like it could have a non-slip surface. That was a nice feature of the Nexus 7 that I really liked.

mouser45

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2013
gonna need some other reason to upgrade; ipad3 does everything perfectly

honestly thinking about going android with it's higher res screen (2560x1600)

intopieces

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013

There really is nothing that my iPad 3 can't do. I'm not a very big apps person, so much that I managed to reduce mine to one page of apps and eliminate the dock all together using Springtomize. I don't even need more space.

beppo

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2008
u.s.a.
So real surprises.

I think, though, that it will be interesting to see how the non-existent left/ right bezels are in daily usage. The point of the iPad Mini to have smaller bezels was so that you could hold the device with one hand. I can't image that, even with it being much smaller, it will be easy to hold with just one hand.

I guess this just means that Apple is very comfortable with their "holding-hand detection" software that currently exists on the iPad mini.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
I love the new slate (and white/sliver) design, but man it collects prints. It looks awful after a while.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I think this was pretty predictable. Compared to the iPad mini, the iPad looks like a big fat giant and a total ancestor. It's easy to believe that Apple would put a lot of work into making the full sized iPad as thin, light and sexy as the iPad mini. I look forward to this.

daynel

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
I'm getting tired and annoyed of product leaks!

I miss the days when products were not basically leaked piece by piece and essentially put together weeks before the announcement. I miss the days of not knowing what was going to be unveiled at the keynote. I miss the feeling of complete surprise and awe when the product was finally unveiled after waiting on the edge of my seat for what felt like an eternity.

Sure the leak if the iphone 4 was some fluke freak accident - and shocking at the same time, but knowing what the iphone 5 looked like a month before the keynote was just down right annoying.

I wish the supply chain would stop leaking images :(

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Nothing surprising here really. Only the fact that everyone thought it would be held off until the Fall. I'm glad it's not!

I'm getting tired and annoyed of product leaks!

I miss the days when products were not basically leaked piece by piece and essentially put together weeks before the announcement. I miss the days of not knowing what was going to be unveiled at the keynote. I miss the feeling of complete surprise and awe when the product was finally unveiled after waiting on the edge of my seat for what felt like an eternity.

Sure the leak if the iphone 4 was some fluke freak accident - and shocking at the same time, but knowing what the iphone 5 looked like a month before the keynote was just down right annoying.

I wish the supply chain would stop leaking images :(

Dude, you are on a RUMOR WEBSITE.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA

honestly thinking about going android with it's higher res screen (2560x1600)

You're think about switching ecosystems and the best hardware, for a few more pixels? Wow, you deserve android.

Baklava

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
Germany
That looks so great, really! But I hope, the issue that the graphite finish gets scratched easily (especially at the edges) will be fixed with next generation gadgets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.