Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:40 PM   #1
appletoandroid
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Nexus 4 proves its worth

Getting one of these from Best Buy @ $599 unlocked, just shows that Nexus 4 is here to stay, wonder how long they will be up for once they become available.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/01...ts-on-the-way/
__________________
2011 13" Macbook Air | Apple TV | Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 | Samsung Galaxy S2
appletoandroid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:46 PM   #2
vikingjunior
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
I can get a Note 2 for that price.
vikingjunior is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:50 PM   #3
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020
 
TacticalDesire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
I paid $425 for mine and even that was hard to swallow. I can't imagine paying a $300 premium.
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:51 PM   #4
F123D
macrumors 68040
 
F123D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by appletoandroid View Post
Getting one of these from Best Buy @ $599 unlocked
Why?
__________________
Jailbroken iPhone 3G -> Jailbroken iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> Galaxy Note II -> Nexus 5
F123D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:41 PM   #5
Lava Lamp Freak
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
One good thing about getting it from Best Buy is the $10 a month insurance you can get. If you drop the phone and break it, they'll replace it with no deductible. If you drop it only once in one year, then you break even compared to getting another from Google. However, if you were to have horrible luck and break it more than once, then you could save a lot of money. (This isn't considering buying a replacement glass and doing it yourself, which would be cheaper.)

Then again, if you buy it from Best Buy and don't break it, you could have used that money to buy the next Nexus later this year.
Lava Lamp Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:21 PM   #6
Irishman
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
Why?
Because some people don't like a 2 year contract sucking money out of their wallets.
Irishman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:30 PM   #7
soulreaver99
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southern California
It's $349 16GB from Google when it's available (UNLOCKED). Are you in that much of a hurry to pay $250 more for it?
__________________
MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2013 | iMac 27" 2011
iPhone 5s 64GB | HTC One M8
visit the geeks office for more foodporn and tech!
soulreaver99 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:50 PM   #8
blairh
macrumors 68000
 
blairh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOSTON.....LA.....MILAN
Perhaps I should have used different words earlier.

Paying a premium now for this phone makes no sense.
__________________
Mac Mini + 20" ACD. iPad Mini. Moto X. (After 5 years w/an iPhone.)
blairh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:17 PM   #9
F123D
macrumors 68040
 
F123D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Because some people don't like a 2 year contract sucking money out of their wallets.
Nexus 4 is $299 off contact so not sure how paying $599 saves you any money.
F123D is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:21 PM   #10
Lava Lamp Freak
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
The Play Store just updated to Temporarily Out of Stock. The "Temporarily" wasn't there before.
Lava Lamp Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:25 PM   #11
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Personally, I don't think the Nexus 4 is worth it even at $299.

At this point and time, I wouldn't recommend the Nexus 4 to anyone unless budget was 100% the reason.
onthecouchagain is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:09 PM   #12
surjavarman
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Personally, I don't think the Nexus 4 is worth it even at $299.

At this point and time, I wouldn't recommend the Nexus 4 to anyone unless budget was 100% the reason.
Care to explain?
surjavarman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:26 PM   #13
Irishman
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
Nexus 4 is $299 off contact so not sure how paying $599 saves you any money.
Who is offering it for $299 off contract? The link the OP gave was $599 off contract.
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:30 PM   #14
F123D
macrumors 68040
 
F123D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Who is offering it for $299 off contract? The link the OP gave was $599 off contract.
Directly from Google. Unlocked. Contract free.

https://play.google.com/store/device...id=nexus_4_8gb
__________________
Jailbroken iPhone 3G -> Jailbroken iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> Galaxy Note II -> Nexus 5
F123D is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:32 PM   #15
tjl3
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
The Play Store just updated to Temporarily Out of Stock. The "Temporarily" wasn't there before.
Awesome for me, sucks for my co-worker who still hasn't had his order fulfilled
tjl3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:16 PM   #16
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
lol, why would you buy a Nexus 4 for that much?

I picked up a Note 2 on CL for $460 last week.
__________________
rMBP 15| MBA| riPad| TV| AEBS| 5S|Galaxies
AutoUnion39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:40 PM   #17
gkarris
macrumors 604
 
gkarris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: "No escape from Reality..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
One good thing about getting it from Best Buy is the $10 a month insurance you can get. If you drop the phone and break it, they'll replace it with no deductible. If you drop it only once in one year, then you break even compared to getting another from Google. However, if you were to have horrible luck and break it more than once, then you could save a lot of money. (This isn't considering buying a replacement glass and doing it yourself, which would be cheaper.)

Then again, if you buy it from Best Buy and don't break it, you could have used that money to buy the next Nexus later this year.
Is BB going to even be around much longer?
__________________
"This gate's plastic." Captain Carter, Stargate SG-1, "Touchstone"
gkarris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:04 AM   #18
sneaky butcher
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Personally, I don't think the Nexus 4 is worth it even at $299.

At this point and time, I wouldn't recommend the Nexus 4 to anyone unless budget was 100% the reason.
why not? whats the issues with the phone?
sneaky butcher is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:05 AM   #19
surjavarman
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Personally, I don't think the Nexus 4 is worth it even at $299.

At this point and time, I wouldn't recommend the Nexus 4 to anyone unless budget was 100% the reason.
You have been called out by two people now. Are you going to reply or not?
surjavarman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:37 AM   #20
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God
 
xraydoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 192.168.1.1
Lack of LTE and the reportedly lackluster battery life are the two main N4 negatives I'm aware of. Otherwise - for an Android device - it seems pretty solid.

Edit: But, as stated before, the unlocked, no-contract phone is $349 on Google Play. There's NO reason to pay $599 at Best Buy unless you really, really need one NOW for a $250 premium.
__________________
3.5GHz i7 27" iMac Surface Pro 3 i5 2.5GHz i5 Mac mini + 27" Thunderbolt display Nexus 5 Nexus 7
xraydoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:45 AM   #21
monkey28rb
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I have a 16gb one I will sell. I used it for 3 days lol.. Been sitting in my room for over a month.
monkey28rb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:04 AM   #22
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by surjavarman View Post
You have been called out by two people now. Are you going to reply or not?
Check my post history If you can't wait.

-Message brought to you by a nexus 4.
onthecouchagain is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:15 AM   #23
mattopotamus
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
One good thing about getting it from Best Buy is the $10 a month insurance you can get. If you drop the phone and break it, they'll replace it with no deductible. If you drop it only once in one year, then you break even compared to getting another from Google. However, if you were to have horrible luck and break it more than once, then you could save a lot of money. (This isn't considering buying a replacement glass and doing it yourself, which would be cheaper.)

Then again, if you buy it from Best Buy and don't break it, you could have used that money to buy the next Nexus later this year.
You can take any phone to best buy and get the insurance....you do not have to buy it from them. I took an s3 there after buying it from ATT off contract b.c it was $250 cheaper than Best buy was selling it for.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:54 AM   #24
surjavarman
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Check my post history If you can't wait.

-Message brought to you by a nexus 4.
So are you saying that you don't like the nexus 4 because

- battery life
- camera
- earpiece
- signal reception
- no LTE
- ergonomics

1) If I get 4 hours of screen time that is already solid
2) Saw the pictures myself and they are fairly decent
3) I can live with that
4) I can live with that
5) You already knew that when you bought it
6) I can live with that

The arguments seem pretty weak in my opinion. You are saying I should pay $300 extra to solve all these problems and get an iphone instead? While losing on things such as pattern unlock, swype, kinetic scrolling, set any app as default, google integration, big display. Just out of curiosity what previous phones have you owned?
surjavarman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:07 AM   #25
tbayrgs
macrumors 68040
 
tbayrgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by surjavarman View Post
So are you saying that you don't like the nexus 4 because

- battery life
- camera
- earpiece
- signal reception
- no LTE
- ergonomics

1) If I get 4 hours of screen time that is already solid
2) Saw the pictures myself and they are fairly decent
3) I can live with that
4) I can live with that
5) You already knew that when you bought it
6) I can live with that

The arguments seem pretty weak in my opinion. You are saying I should pay $300 extra to solve all these problems and get an iphone instead? While losing on things such as pattern unlock, swype, kinetic scrolling, set any app as default, google integration, big display. Just out of curiosity what previous phones have you owned?
1) Good luck trying to get 4 hours screen time--never saw that in a month of use.
2) You have low camera standards then because camera is terrible compared to competition.
3) Again, you have low standards of you find a constant buzzing in the earpiece as acceptable.
4) See number 3

Why does everyone automatically assume that if someone levies criticism of an Android device that they're an iPhone fanboy? I know Couch wouldn't make the recommendation you suggested, nor would I. I would however recommend spending the extra money on a Note 2 out of contract as it has none of these problems and adds the benefit of a removable battery and expandable storage.

My $0.02...I wouldn't recommend it at $600, have a hard time even at the $300/$350 Google is charging out of contract The extra $300 I spent on an out of contract Note 2--definitely worth it.
tbayrgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rumor: Motorola Nexus 6, Asus Nexus 8 and HTC Nexus 10 kenypowa Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 4 Feb 10, 2014 03:57 AM
Worth it to CANCLE my Verizon plan for Nexus 4 on T-Mobile? theuserjohnny Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 37 Jun 22, 2013 12:20 PM
Is it worth replacing an iPad 2 with a Nexus 7? Holte139 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 52 Apr 27, 2013 06:31 AM
Ubuntu OS preview coming to Nexus 4/Galaxy Nexus February 21st. ChazUK Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 21 Feb 21, 2013 01:42 PM
Google Announces $199 Nexus 7 Tablet, $299 Nexus Q Media Streamer MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 553 Oct 23, 2012 10:13 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC