Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Nobody expected a new Ipad at the end of last year. Some say it's too soon for another but would Apple really keep us waiting until October?

They could revert back to the original release schedule and bring us Ipad 2 mini and Ipad 5 in March. :)

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Its not really a surprise considering the iPad refresh cycle has been in March since the iPad 1. (Only reason why it was fall last year was due to the Lightning connector).

Imagine how stupid Apple would look if the cheaper iPad Mini had better specs than then the supposedly "better/full" iPad.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Its not really a surprise considering the iPad refresh cycle has been in March since the iPad 1. (Only reason why it was fall last year was due to the Lightning connector).

Imagine how stupid Apple would look if the cheaper iPad Mini had better specs than then the supposedly "better/full" iPad.

That's true.

Even if Ipad mini 2 comes around people shouldn't be too disappointed. Reconditioned prices should come right down.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
That's true.

Even if Ipad mini 2 comes around people shouldn't be too disappointed. Reconditioned prices should come right down.

Also its highly unlikely that Apple will release all their iOS devices in the fall.

Sep - iPhone 5S, new iPod Touch
Oct - iPad 5, iPad Mini 2

1. They won't have a new iOS device in the Spring which is where they most need it at. HTC M7, Samsung Galaxy SIV, $99 Nexus 7, Microsoft Surface with Windows 8 Pro, etc.

2. Apple's going to have supply issues like they did last year again. They released the iPad too late and mainly the 9.7'' iPad was hit with supply chain problem. Although nothing too big for Apple, it did cost them to loose sales.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Also its highly unlikely that Apple will release all their iOS devices in the fall.

Sep - iPhone 5S, new iPod Touch
Oct - iPad 5, iPad Mini 2

1. They won't have a new iOS device in the Spring which is where they most need it at. HTC M7, Samsung Galaxy SIV, $99 Nexus 7, Microsoft Surface with Windows 8 Pro, etc.

2. Apple's going to have supply issues like they did last year again. They released the iPad too late and mainly the 9.7'' iPad was hit with supply chain problem. Although nothing too big for Apple, it did cost them to loose sales.

Yes I think Apple will stick to the later in the year release for Iphone 5.

I'm afraid if you just got an Ipad 4 tough luck. Ipad 3 owners had to suffer when a new Ipad was released last year..well I sort of never bothered as the spec bumps were decent but I was waiting for a re design like Ipad mini.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
If ipad mini 2 comes in March/april then mini would price down to maybe 299?

Where would that left Ipod touch 5 then? Im waitng for touch 5 16G

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
If ipad mini 2 comes in March/april then mini would price down to maybe 299?

Where would that left Ipod touch 5 then? Im waitng for touch 5 16G

Here's what I think.

1. Apple will ditch the iPod Touch 4th gen and drop the iPod Touch 5th gen price down.

2. Apple will ditch the iPad 2 make the iPad Mini with Retina display takes its place at $400 and drop the iPad Mini price down to $299.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Here's what I think.

1. Apple will ditch the iPod Touch 4th gen and drop the iPod Touch 5th gen price down.

2. Apple will ditch the iPad 2 make the iPad Mini with Retina display takes its place at $400 and drop the iPad Mini price down to $299.

Hope they wil ditch IPT4 and lower IPT5 price but for Ipad mini wih retina, they have to add more than just retina to price it at 400. A faster processor and camera flash.

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
I don't think so.

5 new iPads in 12 months??

iPad 3 - March 2012
iPad 4 - October 2012
iPad mini - October 2012
iPad 5 - March 2013??
iPad mini 2 - March 2013??

Not likely.

I believe Apple will stick to Fall releases for all of its mobile line.

Right now Apple has the upper hand. It is true that in summer Samsung et al. will release more advanced devices than Apple. But in fall Apple will do the proper and will get all the hype running for christmas.

I don't see why sacrificing christmas shopping, just to present a new product in line with the competition. It is very un-apple.

On the contrary January is the month for new releases.
January: iPhone, iPad, MacBook, MBP, Apple TV.

Once the product is released, most of them start a pre-christmas life cycle. So no, I don't think Apple is going to release a new iPad in the next few months.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I don't think so.

5 new iPads in 12 months??

iPad 3 - March 2012
iPad 4 - October 2012
iPad mini - October 2012
iPad 5 - March 2013??
iPad mini 2 - March 2013??

Not likely.

I believe Apple will stick to Fall releases for all of its mobile line.

Right now Apple has the upper hand. It is true that in summer Samsung et al. will release more advanced devices than Apple. But in fall Apple will do the proper and will get all the hype running for christmas.

I don't see why sacrificing christmas shopping, just to present a new product in line with the competition. It is very un-apple.

On the contrary January is the month for new releases.
January: iPhone, iPad, MacBook, MBP, Apple TV.

Once the product is released, most of them start a pre-christmas life cycle. So no, I don't think Apple is going to release a new iPad in the next few months.

Apple has the upper hand? In what way? The Nexus 10 is already on the market and as a device is superior to the iPad 4 in almost every spec. Yes, specs aren't everything, but they matter to some of us more than others. A fully refreshed iPad 5 in March would be smart, but if they wait until fall, I think they'll continue to bleed sales. Lots of Android stuff on the way, and in one country where the iPad has traditionally been popular (Japan), the Nexus 7 is outselling the Mini. The Surface Pro comes out in a few days -- competition is heating up :)

iMichael!

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
I agree.

We better get a Mini Retina in March.

Same goes for iPad 5.

I think Late in the year are mean't for small updates.

Early year is big updates.

Middle of the year is mean't for both.

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
Apple has the upper hand? In what way? The Nexus 10 is already on the market and as a device is superior to the iPad 4 in almost every spec. Yes, specs aren't everything, but they matter to some of us more than others. A fully refreshed iPad 5 in March would be smart, but if they wait until fall, I think they'll continue to bleed sales. Lots of Android stuff on the way, and in one country where the iPad has traditionally been popular (Japan), the Nexus 7 is outselling the Mini. The Surface Pro comes out in a few days -- competition is heating up :)

Yeah it got amazing specs, but Android still is not as mature for tablets as it is for phones.

Why I say Apple has the upper hand?? Because the Nexus 10 is a reaction to the iPad 4. And as such it is only natural that it has to excel in some aspects to draw attention towards it.

Past attempts have focused on lower price with lame results. The Nexus 10 still is cheaper than the iPad, but in no way is a cheap device.

If Apple release a new iPad right away, they start the ever hurting game of catch up. It isn't good for companies, it isn't good for consumers.

Why??

Because the vast majority of people don't want a new device every two months. Either because they can't afford it, or because they don't care.

If the competition is releasing products that are at least comparable to yours in some sort of way, then you are not doing something right. They way to fight that is trough innovation, not by upgrades every 5 months.

In the moment Apple starts caring about competition and starts a catch up war of specs, without innovation, then we are all doomed.

* And by we I mean, people who have a ton of apps in the iOS ecosystem. Because as always another company with a lot of innovation will rise, to get the crown.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
ipad 5 in march, mini 2 in october. mini is a christmas sell out so they wont release it so soon.

spooky23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2013
Epping
They just announced a 128Gb ipad 4th gen. Can you see that selling if they followed it up with a 5th a month later?

Also, perhaps its because I've seen it posted so many times now, but when people bang on about the ipad being heavy, I have to re-read to make sure the person isn't trolling.

Who would want an ipad 4? How about anyone who wants an amazing tablet that exists in the real world right now.

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
Since the 128gb is going to be out Feb 5, the percentage of a redesigned ipad 5 coming out in March is greatly reduced.

I believe Apple needs to come out with something this spring to keep sales up. Waiting until late summer/fall for a new release seems risky.

Ipad 5 in the fall, new iphone in the summer, and a retina ipad mini this spring would be sweet.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
They just announced a 128Gb ipad 4th gen. Can you see that selling if they followed it up with a 5th a month later?

Also, perhaps its because I've seen it posted so many times now, but when people bang on about the ipad being heavy, I have to re-read to make sure the person isn't trolling.

Who would want an ipad 4? How about anyone who wants an amazing tablet that exists in the real world right now.

I agree. If Apple were going to release the iPad 5 in March, it would make no sense to release a new variation of the iPad 4 a month earlier. This strikes me as more of a "something to tide people over" move. As for a Retina iPad Mini being released in March, there have been absolutely no indications that this might happen. Anandtech had a great analysis in November of why a Retina iPad Mini, with current technology, would need to have a bigger battery and therefore be thicker and heavier. Those technology challenges are unlikely to have been solved within the last two months. That's why I don't expect a Retina iPad until this coming fall. Some people don't think it will be technically possible until 2014, but expectations are so high for a Retina Mini this year that the uproar would be huge if it doesn't happen. On the other hand, a lot of people expected the iPad 2 to be Retina, and it wasn't, but it had enough other improvements over the iPad 1 to make it a huge seller.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
The new iPad 4 is to win over would be surface pro users and and increase sales and stock price.

I'm sure some pros would consider this over the surface pro even though they are very different devices. Both are very capable.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
No one knows anymore as Apple has broken it's release cycle. Here we were all saying that we wouldn't see another iPad until March or maybe the fall and Apple drops the 128GB iPad today.

So Apple at this point is reacting to competition and the release rules have changed. I for one would not be surprised if we see the iPad 5 in March or April. There pics of the iPad 5 shell making the rounds. So don't be surprised if there's another ipad in the very near future. ;)

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
I think there is a possibility of an ipad 5 in March but its looking less likely now that Apple have announced an 128GB ipad 4, although its possible they just released that to win over customers from surface pro. But on the other hand, not releasing anything in March is a risky move. I know people say they wouldn't release another ipad so soon but Apple have literally refreshed their entire product range except Apple TV towards the end of 2012. If they are staying on 1 year product cycles, they'll have nothing to release in the first half of 2013, unless they're releasing an HDTV in March which I think is very unlikely at the moment. I think an iPad mini 2 in March is much less likely because of the fact they cant meet demand for the first one at the moment and they don't expect to until the end of March. If they do release a mini 2, I think its even more unlikely to be a retina mini simply because I don't think the technology exists at the moment to be able to produce a retina mini at a reasonable cost. It would also give them an opportunity to market the larger ipad without the mini, which is said to be cannibalising sales of the ipad 4. But then again, Apple have surprised us in the past and I don't doubt they'll do it again.

----------

It depends what you use it for. The ipad 4 is a very light device but it can still be considered too heavy for people who travel a lot or for physicians.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.