Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
With iOS 6.1, there is now an "Enable LTE" slider when using Vodafone NZ, which isn't on Apple's official list. Does that slider appear regardless of operator now, or is Vodafone a supported-but-unannounced operator?

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
With iOS 6.1, there is now an "Enable LTE" slider when using Vodafone NZ, which isn't on Apple's official list. Does that slider appear regardless of operator now, or is Vodafone a supported-but-unannounced operator?

Nope. Just certain ones. They're handing out LTE like candy. Really it's not that fast. My mom's LTE phone is slower than my 3G.

It's not really that fast.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The interesting thing is that Vodafone has just completed a major upgrade, advertised as DC-HSPA. I'm now guessing that there's also LTE hardware on those towers :)

Edit: It's actually about two thirds complete, with the remaining towers to be upgraded over the next few weeks.

Last edited:

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Nope. Just certain ones. They're handing out LTE like candy. Really it's not that fast. My mom's LTE phone is slower than my 3G.

Uhhh LTE where i live blows the roof of 3G and HSPA+

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
According to Apple they will have to test and approve the specific carriers LTE network before they enable that option.
And my guess is if its not an official carrier they wont even bother.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
According to Apple they will have to test and approve the specific carriers LTE network before they enable that option.
And my guess is if its not an official carrier they wont even bother.

That's what makes this so interesting. Vodafone's not in the official list, but the LTE options show up when running 6.1 on an i5.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston

Um yes it is actually that fast. 60MBPS down and 20MBPS up isnt fast?

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010

Huh? LTE isn't fast??? Here it is. Like wicked fast.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
60 down. Ha ka ka ka, You kid me must.

Does anyone believe this guy?

I do because I've seen it. Why can't you imagine that something is true even if you haven't seen it:/.??

----------

That's faster than Wi-Fi. What would 50 down even look like?
When LTE is fast, it can be faster than my home service.... And I pay for premium service speed. Go back a few months and read about it when the iPhone 5 came out.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK

It's rarely noticeable on the phone anyway unless you're downloading large apps, large YouTube videos, or streaming content. Almost no buffer time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 69

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
No. The slider is there but it doesn't connect. Voda has not announced LTE support but I suspect that it may be announced "soon" if iOS has specific support for Voda LTE.

Cool.
Maybe they will push a carrier update soon then.

Like this:D

Attachments

• IMG_0177.PNG
    IMG_0177.PNG
    546 KB · Views: 78
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.