Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:38 PM   #1
ddedmon
macrumors newbie

Macbook heat problems

Okay so I need to find out a way to cool down my macbook. I have a 2,1 dual core with 4 gb or ram and an owc SSD. I don't do anything too special with it and it just gets too hot. Ive cleaned the inside, didn't help. Im thinking about re applying the thermal paste. My next option would be to possible add an extra fan (If possible) I remove the optical drive so I have that large area of space where i could mount a fan. Only problem is supplying power. Last option would be to start cutting air vents under the fan to let some of the hot air dissipate. I just don't know what to do. Any help is appreciated
ddedmon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:13 AM   #2
simsaladimbamba

What temperatures (C or F) do you experience under what load?

Those Macs in their heat - a sine of over-heating? - a short story by Mister GGJstudios

What about using one of those cooling pads with fans in them?
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:23 AM   #3
MultiFinder17
macrumors 65816

Your MacBook is getting to the age where replacing the thermal paste can do quite a bit of good for it. I went through the same thing with my MacBook1,1 a year or two ago, and saw an immediate drop in temperature.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:53 AM   #4
ddedmon
macrumors newbie

I used the yes command in terminal to put a heavy workload on it. It was from a cold startup, and within two minutes I was idling at 176F. Even when i'm just on safari its at 160F. I'll have to measure it another time using quicktime or VLC. It never got higher than 190F. I can toast bread at that temperature, so i'm not liking the inside of my macbook being this hot. I'd love to do the thermal paste. It doesn't look too hard, I just gotta get some paste. What do you recommend? Also, I have a cooler master with the dual fans. It does all it can. Thanks
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:35 AM   #5
simsaladimbamba

150 F and 190 F is within the specs.

Again: Those Macs in their heat - a sine of over-heating? - a short story by Mister GGJstudios
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:38 AM   #6
ddedmon
macrumors newbie

Well then I don't like the specs. That temperature reading is too high for my comfort zone. Specs may say it can handle it, but it's 66 months old and i need it to continue running strong for years to come. How hard is it to replace the thermal paste? And what brand should I use? And would replacing the heat sink help with anything, or should i not because it's still functioning as it should? I understand that it's in the specs, I would just like to get the lowest possible readings.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook