Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
i just received the above thinking it would contain everything i need to install in my 2012 mac mini, I don't see anything that looks like an internal sata cable?

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
i just received the above thinking it would contain everything i need to install in my 2012 mac mini, I don't see anything that looks like an internal sata cable?

Are you removing the original hard drive and putting the SSD in its place? If so, then you can use the SATA cable that is already in the machine.
If you are trying to add a second drive, you need something like this
http://www.amazon.com/Doubler-Drive...d=1359434061&sr=1-2&keywords=owc+data+doubler

The SATA cables for the Mac Mini are custom made for the specific computer, which is the reason why you won't find them bundled with your SSD purchase.

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
Was it advertised to have an SATA cable? What did Newegg say?

This is what it said is included:

Complete, User-Friendly Solution
The Samsung SSD 840 Series is available with a simple, all-in-one installation kit. The kit comes with SATA data and power cables, screws, a 2.5-inch to 3.5-inch adapter bracket, a SATA to USB adapter cable to facilitate easy data migration, and a mounting spacer so that laptops with traditional 9.5mm drive bays can accommodate the Samsung SSD 840 Series’ slim 7mm profile.

----------

Are you removing the original hard drive and putting the SSD in its place? If so, then you can use the SATA cable that is already in the machine.
If you are trying to add a second drive, you need something like this
http://www.amazon.com/Doubler-Drive...d=1359434061&sr=1-2&keywords=owc+data+doubler

The SATA cables for the Mac Mini are custom made for the specific computer, which is the reason why you won't find them bundled with your SSD purchase.

I have been following these sad add threads for months and i can't believe how stupid I am.
Can u tell me what I am missing and where to get it?
Yes, I am adding an SSd second drive and i am a dumbass idiot

Last edited:

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
I have been following these sad add threads for months and i can't believe how stupid I am.
Can u tell me what I am missing and where to get it?
If you would like to keep your current hard drive in the machine and add the SSD to the empty hard drive slot (the mac mini has two - one is empty on the non-server models) you need the kit that I linked to in my previous post. This kit includes all the tools, parts, and instructions you need to take apart the mini and add the second drive.

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
If you would like to keep your current hard drive in the machine and add the SSD to the empty hard drive slot (the mac mini has two - one is empty on the non-server models) you need the kit that I linked to in my previous post. This kit includes all the tools, parts, and instructions you need to take apart the mini and add the second drive.

If i have the tools, what else in the kit is required besides the cable?

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
If i have the tools, what else in the kit is required besides the cable?

The kit includes 4 rubber grommets and 4 torx screws that help secure the bottom drive into a bracket. These are necessary.

Also included is a plastic tool for prying up cables and a "logic board removal tool" these make life easier but certainly not necessary.

All in all, the only valuable thing in the kit is the cable. You can buy a standalone cable on amazon for $28, but then you have to find the screws and grommets. For me at least, it was worth the extra $7 for the convenience of having everything.

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
The kit includes 4 rubber grommets and 4 torx screws that help secure the bottom drive into a bracket. These are necessary.

Also included is a plastic tool for prying up cables and a "logic board removal tool" these make life easier but certainly not necessary.

All in all, the only valuable thing in the kit is the cable. You can buy a standalone cable on amazon for $28, but then you have to find the screws and grommets. For me at least, it was worth the extra $7 for the convenience of having everything.[/QUOTE
this is ********, if u are not a pro, DIY fusion is no where near worth it, that said I am going to do it anyway only because i can't return it. Best case is you save a 100. worst case u ****up and void your warranty, not worth the risk or time and i am a gambler

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama

All in all, the only valuable thing in the kit is the cable. You can buy a standalone cable on amazon for $28, but then you have to find the screws and grommets. For me at least, it was worth the extra $7 for the convenience of having everything.

Thanks COrocket, I am just an idiot and really to stupid to consult MR forum. I am so pissed at myself, cause i been reading and following etc etc and still screwed it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.