Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:01 PM   #1
Castle87
macrumors regular

Exclamation Massive Problem -- Phone Stuck in Restore

Alright so tonight I tried upgrading to IOS 6.1, I was surprised to see the itunes screen pop up, so I did as it said and plugged the phone into itunes. It said to upgrade, you must restore the phone. Annoyed, I had no other choice but to click restore.

I've tried it about 5 times now, it goes from "Extracting Software" to "Preparing iPhone for restore" and that's where it ends. After about 15 minutes, it says "Iphone was unable to restore"

During this, I've had several weird screens pop up, first was a completely blue screen that I've never seen before, but that went away when I held the power button and home button down. Now I have a black screen with the apple logo, and some small white coding on top that looks like the stuff you'd see when turning on an old school computer.

What the hell? How do I fix this?
Castle87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:29 PM   #2
dextr3k
macrumors 6502

Try to put the phone in DFU mode and then running restore again.

http://thebigboss.org/guides-iphone-ipod-ipad/dfu-mode
dextr3k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:01 PM   #3
Castle87
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextr3k View Post
Try to put the phone in DFU mode and then running restore again.

http://thebigboss.org/guides-iphone-ipod-ipad/dfu-mode
I tried this like 10 times. It finally worked on the 10th time...somewhat.

I got the little bar under the apple sign as it was downloading the firmware, and it completed.

Then it told me my iphone is restarting to factory settings. Then the screen turned blue. Now it's got the script running at the top of the screen.

I haven't touched it. I'm waiting to see what happens.

Itunes told me initially to leave it plugged in (which I'm doing) but now it isn't telling me anything.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:23 PM   #4
Castle87
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle87 View Post
I tried this like 10 times. It finally worked on the 10th time...somewhat.

I got the little bar under the apple sign as it was downloading the firmware, and it completed.

Then it told me my iphone is restarting to factory settings. Then the screen turned blue. Now it's got the script running at the top of the screen.

I haven't touched it. I'm waiting to see what happens.

Itunes told me initially to leave it plugged in (which I'm doing) but now it isn't telling me anything.
Nope, no go. Froze on that screen with the script. Looks like I'm skipping class tomorrow to show up at the apple store when the doors open. Yay me.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:32 AM   #5
Castle87
macrumors regular

Alright, swapped my phone free of charge. They tried to screw me initially and said "it says you already swapped in November, we're not sure if you're covered" and I was like uhhh better check again.

Anyway, this is just my paranoia talking but the defective phone I gave them is wiped out right. Completely? Just want to make sure.

I think the thing is fried beyond recognition anyway. DFU couldn't even restore it. The thing is done.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting