Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:57 PM   #26
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brounmoney View Post
Ok I think that every phone ever made does not fare well if sat on. That is why I never understood people putting phones in there back pocket. You can say what you want about the iPhone, but the build is one of the best if not the best. Please tell me a better phone build wise?
Build wise? What do you mean by that? Design? Strength? Both?

In general, I prefer the design of the One X over any other phones in both categories. Very solid phone with a beautiful design.

At the end, it's opinions. You say the iPhone is designed best but not everyone will say the same.

As for people putting their phones in their back pocket. They do it because it was ok with previous phones.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00t951 View Post
My Nexus has weird scuff marks all over the plastic body. I don't know where they came from or why they won't go away, but it's enough to convince me that plastic loses its aesthetic appeal after a few weeks.
Most materials scuffs, just look at the amount of threads here discussing about scuffs on the iPhone 5.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:00 PM   #27
Brounmoney
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
Build wise? What do you mean by that? Design? Strength? Both?

In general, I prefer the design of the One X over any other phones in both categories. Very solid phone with a beautiful design.

At the end, it's opinions. You say the iPhone is designed best but not everyone will say the same.

As for people putting their phones in their back pocket. They do it because it was ok with previous phones.

----------

Most materials scuffs, just look at the amount of threads here discussing about scuffs on the iPhone 5.
Was it ok with previous phones. If you had an iPhone 4 or a Samsung s2 or HTC one x you could run the risk of smashing the screen. It was never I good idea to have your phone in your back pocket. I don't care what kind of phone you have sit the wrong way and that screen is done.
Brounmoney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:03 PM   #28
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I don't care what kind of phone you have sit the wrong way and that screen is done.
Nope

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2380849,00.asp

I saw a video of people playing soccer with this phone.

And I accidently had my One X in my back pcket once in a while because my only paid of jeans during my trip had huge holes on front both pockets. I don't have it anymore but it never broke/bent the few times I sat down on it. Then agian, I only weight 135lbs.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:05 PM   #29
Stuntman06
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00t951 View Post
My Nexus has weird scuff marks all over the plastic body. I don't know where they came from or why they won't go away, but it's enough to convince me that plastic loses its aesthetic appeal after a few weeks.
Of the smartphones that I have owned, my SGS3 is the one that showed the least amount of wear amongst them all. Save for a barely visible scuff that you have to look hard to find, it looks almost brand new after 6 months.

My Nokia N97 has a plastic body for the most part with a bit of metal. The metal part is dented where I dropped it one day. It has taken a beating, but keeps working. Some of the silvery trim has worn off on the edges of the screen. I used this phone for about 7 months before I ditched it because it really sucked.

My HTC Desire Z was the one I used the longest. It was my daily driver for 20 months before the battery died. The only visible wear on it are in the corners where it seems the sweat of my hand reacts to the rubbery surface over time. Also, the back battery cover is worn. There seemed to be some coating on the metal battery cover that wore off after use. The rest of the phone does not appear to be worn.

I do not use any case with my phones, but I do carry them in a holster that clips on my belt. When at home, it is naked and I leave it on my table.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:06 PM   #30
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Ok I think that every phone ever made does not fare well if sat on. That is why I never understood people putting phones in there back pocket. You can say what you want about the iPhone, but the build is one of the best if not the best. Please tell me a better phone build wise?
The Motorola Razr series with their kevlar backs. And Nokia 920 is built like a tank.

For me I always buy cases for my phones. And without a case a iPhone 5 will look like garbage after a few months. This was already proven on gizmodo. Who cares about build quality when your phone looks trashy. I would actually pick a polycarbonate iPhone over a metal iPhone any day.
cdmoore74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:14 PM   #31
Brounmoney
Banned

Quote:
Nope

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2380849,00.asp

I saw a video of people playing soccer with this phone.

And I accidently had my One X in my back pcket once in a while because my only paid of jeans during my trip had huge holes on front both pockets. I don't have it anymore but it never broke/bent the few times I sat down on it. Then agian, I only weight 135lbs.
Well I keep a case on all my phones and have never had issues with iPhone 5. Try looking at the drop test for Samsung gs3 and the iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 won each time. Don't get me wrong I love to hate on apple, but this is just one thing that they did not get wrong.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:18 PM   #32
aerok
macrumors 65816

Either way there is almost no way to break the screen by sitting down on it. The main problem with the iphone 5 is that the body can be bent if sat on.

----------

Quote:
Well I keep a case on all my phones and have never had issues with iPhone 5. Try looking at the drop test for Samsung gs3 and the iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 won each time. Don't get me wrong I love to hate on apple, but this is just one thing that they did not get wrong.
I'm not hating on Apple at all. I'm just saying some phones are built better based on my preferences. And we didn't mention drop test earlier. The iphone 5 is better than the GS3 and the Note II. Haven't seen a comparable test with the HTC One X though.
aerok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:22 PM   #33
Brounmoney
Banned

Quote:
Either way there is almost no way to break the screen by sitting down on it. The main problem with the iphone 5 is that the body can be bent if sat on.

----------

I'm not hating on Apple at all. I'm just saying some phones are built better based on my preferences. And we didn't mention drop test earlier. The iphone 5 is better than the GS3 and the Note II. Haven't seen a comparable test with the HTC One X though.
Yea I don't know. I have had no issues with my iphone bending, but I also I never put my iphone in my back pocket. I had friends put his phone not iphone in his back pocket and he sat down on a hard surface and it cracked the screen.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:33 PM   #34
onthecouchagain
Banned

So... much... bezel...

Maybe the B stands for Bezel10. AMIRITE, FELLAS?
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:45 PM   #35
powderblue17
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
So... much... bezel...

Well at least it doesn't need a home button like a certain other phone. The bezel is about the same anyway.
powderblue17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:11 PM   #36
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

I like it better than the iPhone 5 design.

*puts on flame suit*
duneriderltr450 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:18 PM   #37
tonyy
macrumors 6502

I like the design. Very sleek and simple. I would be lying if I said I wasn't interested in it.

In the end, it will come down to the UI though.
tonyy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:27 PM   #38
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderblue17 View Post
Well at least it doesn't need a home button like a certain other phone. The bezel is about the same anyway.
Very true. Not fond of the antiquated iPhone home button.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:29 PM   #39
Radiating
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
The important thing to note is that these aren't photos of the Z10, but renderings. They are what a graphic artist THINKS the Z10 will look like.

That said, these are very beautiful renderings.

But the proof will be when the actual hardware comes out. Then we'll get to see if the materials are sturdy, if the software lives up up expectations and is smooth and powerful, and whether app development and features people want aren't hindered by RIM's legendary "security."

Also, it would be kind of nice is WebOS came back. It was a dumb decision on HP's part to kill the platform. Unfortuantely, I have no confidence in HP making right decisions about it.
The same artist predicted the look of the iphone 5 with perfect accuracy.
Radiating is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:26 PM   #40
KieranDotW
macrumors 6502a

I've never seen the BB10 OS or this device before today, but from what I've seen at least I'm disappointed that it just looks like another iOS/Android clone. Please tell me I'm wrong on this.
KieranDotW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:32 PM   #41
ant the ninja
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranDotW View Post
I've never seen the BB10 OS or this device before today, but from what I've seen at least I'm disappointed that it just looks like another iOS/Android clone. Please tell me I'm wrong on this.
Yes, you are very wrong on this!
ant the ninja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:31 PM   #42
ahfu25
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
So... much... bezel...

What pictures are you looking at? The iPhone....every iPhone model has more bezel than that blackberry.
ahfu25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:09 PM   #43
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahfu25 View Post
What pictures are you looking at? The iPhone....every iPhone model has more bezel than that blackberry.
I suppose but isn't the blackberry a larger device? Maybe the bezel seems more pronounced.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:35 PM   #44
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Looks like a decent device to me. It's pretty. Definitely reminds me a bit of the Motorola Droid X from the front. Especially near the earpiece. Hopefully BB can turn the ship around. We shall see. Sucks they cheaped out with the plastic though.
Chris092881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:38 PM   #45
iMichael!
Banned

This is the first time i heard of the Blackberry Z10.

But after looking at a picture of it.

The iPhone 5 looks much better in design.

However i don't know much about the rest of its concepts. So we need to wait.
iMichael! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:54 PM   #46
mcdj
macrumors 604

Man, some serious short term memories here.

No one recalls the BB Playbook? How sleek people thought it was? How it might be better than the iPad? How it might put BB back in the game? How quickly it tanked and hit the discount bins?

Not saying this phone is doomed, but BB haven't exactly been on a roll lately.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:27 AM   #47
F123D
macrumors 68040

Location: Rootmetrics.com Verizon 96.7 | AT&T 96.6 | T-Mobile 96.4
The phone looks really nice and I've watched a couple hands on demonstrations of the UI. To be honest, I kind of like it. Not enough to spend money it however..
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:53 AM   #48
iMichael!
Banned

BlackBerrys are way behind.

There nothing compared to iPhones.

1: iPhones
2: Androids
3: Samsung
4: BlackBerrys
iMichael! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:07 AM   #49
mac00l
macrumors 6502

This is a good looking device. I just hope that the new BB OS delivers as it promised.

It is time to get the 4th major player to come back forth.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:31 AM   #50
ahfu25
macrumors 6502a

Wassup with this plastic phone obsession? You sound like the android folks and their "we have turn by turn and apple doesn't". You will find something else to complain about if they make an "aluminum" version with close to "retina" display. Competition is much needed.
ahfu25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices