Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
You bought an Apple laptop and want to use Windows on primarily? ... Hahaha.

Learn to use Mac OS. It takes five minutes.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Thanks for all the great help guys. I will be going with the parallels 7 route. Do i still need to purchase a windows 7 licence?

Yes, but I believe you can purchase a Windows license from Parallels directly and download it from them.It may be cheaper to buy a Windows 7 DVD from a reseller. However, you'd need to figure out a way to download an installation file, or create a .iso file from a computer with a DVD drive and copy it onto a USB key.

Parallels is on version 8 right now, but 7 will still work fine if you are able to find it at a good price.

jemesouviens

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2012
If you are going to the trouble of getting parallels and installing windows 7, consider the Office 2013 trial with a view to getting the latest version.

The mac version of Office is pretty lame and if you're coming over from Windows you are likely to find it somewhat limited.

Just my 2p!

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I hope you got the 256gb otherwise it might be a tight squeeze. I think xp is pretty small but vista is not. MS office will also take up quite a bit of room too.

chiguy20002

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
MI
No, only want it for the transition phase, more for the wife than anything

Honestly, the best way to learn OSX is to just go ahead and use it. If you are only using it for basic browsing, then that is exactly the same as browsing in Windows, especially if you use Firefox on both.

I work for a small company and we transitioned from Windows PC to Macs. There is a learning curve, yes, but it really doesn't take more than a day or maybe two days to learn how to use OSX. It is a very easy to use GUI.

I worked on Windows PCs for 18 years, and switched to a Mac six months ago. Going back and forth now is really easy, and I just prefer to use OSX over windows, especially since the trackpads are very nice on the MacBooks in OSX, you will not have the same benefits to using the trackpad in Windows.

My wife also switched to Mac about eight months ago, and she just got on and started using OSX, and it only took her about a day to fully know how to use it.

If you do still want to use Windows, the option to just use Bootcamp and Windows 7 or Windows 8 will be fine. I have loaded Windows 7 as well as Windows 8 on my Mid 2012 Macbook Pro, and both worked fine. The only reason I did that was to just know how to use it, and I used it occasionally to run some games like Skyrim. I don't have Bootcamp on my MacBook anymore, no need for it really.

Office 2011 for Mac is a good program, not quite as good as Office 2010 for the PC, but it has most of the functionality. It also costs a lot less to purchase the Mac version than the PC version.

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
No, only want it for the transition phase, more for the wife than anything
You keep saying for Internet and stuff.

There isn't much of a difference in chrome or Firefox. Safari is a very easy browser as well.

The only difference is you can't use the god awful Internet explorer.

If you get office for mac you don't need those other programs.

You would be spending a lot of money on things you don't need.

The main difference is the dock.
Finder is basically like my computer/ my documents.
Launch pad is like clicking start and going to my programs.
Safari is like Internet explorer but 100x better.

There really isn't much of a learning curve. Definitely not enough to warrant purchasing windows.

purplekush604

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Hey guys.

I will definitely download the trial of office 2013. She will learn os, but i still may need to install parallels. Test it for a day or two, see how the wife likes it, and go from there. I did get the 256 gb version. But like others said, i have to have windows 7, or 8 on there. I don't have either, so most likely going to get it through parallels, if i install it. When i received the air, it's refurbished by the way, do i need to fully charge it before i use it? Or would it be better to kill the battery completely, and than charge it?

Thanks

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
When i received the air, it's refurbished by the way, do i need to fully charge it before i use it? Or would it be better to kill the battery completely, and than charge it?

Thanks

The batteries are pre-calibrated. You can just open it up and use it as normal.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
Thanks for all the great help guys. I will be going with the parallels 7 route. Do i still need to purchase a windows 7 licence?

Yep. Gotta buy Windows. I usually go the Bootcamp route rather than an install within Parallels/VMware. This gives me both the option of changing virtualization software later while keeping the Win install intact and booting in Windows for better performance.

There are plenty of tutorials to ease the transition. Many of the familiar metaphors are there but the user experience is much better. IMO, it's easier to go Windows to Mac than the other way around.

You're going to love OSX.

purplekush604

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
The batteries are pre-calibrated. You can just open it up and use it as normal.

Whats the best way to keep my battery optimized? Should i always keep it charged? Or only charge when battery is low? Should i only completely drain the battery once a month?

purplekush604

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Computer is great so far guys, thanks for all the help. Ive been playing around for a bit, personally don't want to even install windows, but see how the wife likes it. I am confused about one thing though. Installing and download apps. When i download a instgalltion file, i believe .dmg ?... once i install the file, where does the program go? where is it installed? I couldnt find anything on the forums on this, could you guys maybe forward me to a link? thanks in advance

purplekush604

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
and also, i realize finder is like my computer, but where is "c:" where i can see free space etc...

rfle500

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
Computer is great so far guys, thanks for all the help. Ive been playing around for a bit, personally don't want to even install windows, but see how the wife likes it. I am confused about one thing though. Installing and download apps. When i download a instgalltion file, i believe .dmg ?... once i install the file, where does the program go? where is it installed? I couldnt find anything on the forums on this, could you guys maybe forward me to a link? thanks in advance

This was something they changed with OSX Lion I think, as there used to be an applications folder on the dock as standard. Programs are installed in a folder /Applications. However, removing the Applications folder from the dock made me realise the way it is intended to launch applications - using spotlight. Just type the first few characters from the application name in the search bar and hit return. Coming from windows a couple of years ago I am still learning to do things the 'mac' way. But, one thing is sure - having gone mac I'm not going back!

----------

and also, i realize finder is like my computer, but where is "c:" where i can see free space etc...

In unix systems c: is simply /. To get here just click on Macintosh HDD - though I would caution that you don't need to worry about the file structure so much in Mac OSX, as things like iTunes and iPhoto manage all files in libraries hidden from view. Just use spotlight on th top right to find files/folders. Again this is a mac thing, but honestly it's a much better approach.

Regarding disk usage click the apple menu top left and 'about this mac'. Click 'more info' and the storage tab at the top.

TheralSadurns

Cancelled
Jul 8, 2010

It depends on what you did.

If you... say... download Firefox... it places the .dmg in your Downloads Folder.
When you open the .dmg file... you'll see the Firefox Icon... and an arrow pointing to an alias to your Application Folder. At this point do NOT just double click Firefox. It is STILL only in the .dmg folder. (Imagine the .dmg to be like a CD you inserted in your computer... while you CAN run the apps from this 'cd' they are NOT installed).
To install it... you simply drag the Firefox icon... (following where the arrow is pointing) to the alias of your Application folder.
A little progress window should appear... showing you that your computer is actually moving/installing a file. (On the MBA it will only take a few seconds).
After THAT... you're Firefox (or whatever other app it is) is installed.

If you did everything correctly... you should find it by clicking on the Finder symbol (Dock at the bottom... first icon on the left). The window that opens should look vaguely familiar and similar to the windows explorer/my computer.
On the left hand side you see some favorites/shortcuts. One should read "Applications". Click it. It takes you right to the folder where ALL your Application reside.
If Firefox is there... you're good. If it's not... you may not have dragged the Icon from the .dmg onto the folder.

Also note:
Most applications on OS X you download from the internet are installed like this. Drag and drop from .dmg to Applications folder.
These then are only represented by their respective icons in the Applications Folder. (Unlike in Windows... where even Firefox has is OWN folder... with multiple files in it... and an Firefox.exe to launch the browser... here it is JUST the Application Icon itself)

BIG Suites like MS Office or Adobe CS... on the other hand use installers just like windows... nothing new here.

Apps from the App Store... are installed like on the iPhone or iPad. You hit install in the App Store after purchasing it... and it places them automatically in your Applications Folder.

To delete an App... simply drag it from the Applications Folder... onto the Trashcan in your Dock (rightmost Icon).

I hope that helped... rather than complicated the matter
(I just got up... and need some coffee )

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
I have VMWare Fusion on my MBA, and love it. Nicely integrates Windows 7.
I am pretty much an Apple zealot, but I have to admit the Windows 8 Pro that you can get for 70 bucks right now is a pretty good deal. I have to admit, Win 8 has grown on me.

purplekush604

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
It depends on what you did.

If you... say... download Firefox... it places the .dmg in your Downloads Folder.
When you open the .dmg file... you'll see the Firefox Icon... and an arrow pointing to an alias to your Application Folder. At this point do NOT just double click Firefox. It is STILL only in the .dmg folder. (Imagine the .dmg to be like a CD you inserted in your computer... while you CAN run the apps from this 'cd' they are NOT installed).
To install it... you simply drag the Firefox icon... (following where the arrow is pointing) to the alias of your Application folder.
A little progress window should appear... showing you that your computer is actually moving/installing a file. (On the MBA it will only take a few seconds).
After THAT... you're Firefox (or whatever other app it is) is installed.

If you did everything correctly... you should find it by clicking on the Finder symbol (Dock at the bottom... first icon on the left). The window that opens should look vaguely familiar and similar to the windows explorer/my computer.
On the left hand side you see some favorites/shortcuts. One should read "Applications". Click it. It takes you right to the folder where ALL your Application reside.
If Firefox is there... you're good. If it's not... you may not have dragged the Icon from the .dmg onto the folder.

Also note:
Most applications on OS X you download from the internet are installed like this. Drag and drop from .dmg to Applications folder.
These then are only represented by their respective icons in the Applications Folder. (Unlike in Windows... where even Firefox has is OWN folder... with multiple files in it... and an Firefox.exe to launch the browser... here it is JUST the Application Icon itself)

BIG Suites like MS Office or Adobe CS... on the other hand use installers just like windows... nothing new here.

Apps from the App Store... are installed like on the iPhone or iPad. You hit install in the App Store after purchasing it... and it places them automatically in your Applications Folder.

To delete an App... simply drag it from the Applications Folder... onto the Trashcan in your Dock (rightmost Icon).

I hope that helped... rather than complicated the matter
(I just got up... and need some coffee )

Wow that was exactly what i was confused about. Thanks!!

faqsmx

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
USA
Virtualization

Do not worry about doing partition and crazzy stuff in your mac. Install VirtualBox and install and windows you want.

I am using Win XP, Vista and 7 on my MacBook Air for personal purposes and my computer works great, no problem at all.

More info about that, here:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VirtualBox

:apple:

TheralSadurns

Cancelled
Jul 8, 2010
Wow that was exactly what i was confused about. Thanks!!

Glad I could be of help.
It can be a little confusing at first. But once you realize how it works... you start banging your head... because it is so amazingly simple and elegant.

What I tell other people... is to not think 'computer' but to think real life interaction.

Imagine you had a photograph lying on your real life desk. And an envelope next to it... because you wanted to mail it.
What would you do in the real world?
Pick the picture up... and put it in the envelope.

On the Mac?
You have a picture (or any other document) on your (virtual) desktop... or in any other folder and you want to mail it.
Just drag the photo/document onto the Mail icon in the Dock.
No need to use stupid menues. Just like in the real world. Take what you want... and drop it where it is supposed to go.

I can tell you... the first 2 weeks... can be a torture. Although you'll have daily revelations that sweeten the deal.
After these two weeks though... you should be able to find yourself around pretty well!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.