Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Aren't you guys worried about keeping your passwords to the cloud? Dropbox has already been hacked once you know! If we're talking about forum passwords then I can see why one would not be concerned, but if we're talking about keeping passwords to financial institutions of credit card information, it just sounds like you're asking for trouble. Just my 2 cents worth...

With 1Password... the vault itself is encrypted. Hence, even if someone had access to your dropbox account... they can only see the encrypted vault... and your passwords are still safe.

1password uses AES encryption... the same as the world banking system.

/Jim

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Keepassx on the Mac. You can create a password protected archive kdb file with username, password,URL,notes... It works great and it's free. Put that archive in Dropbox for portability. I don't use iOS, however a quick google search indicate a paid app called iKeepass as possible companion.

MiniKeepass is free for iOS. You can open the encrypted database file from Dropbox.

Keepass is open source and there are versions for Windows, Mac and Linux.

Doesn't integrate with browsers like some of the others. A positive for me.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I have had 1Password for a few years now, and love it. They have just released V4 for iOS and V4 for Mac is just round the corner. If you buy V3 now then you will get a free upgrade to V4 when it is available. There is also a free trial on Agilebits website for the current version. I also put together an review of 1Password as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.