Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woofie2010

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2010
Australia
I just downloaded Temple run 2.
I have an ipod touch that was brought on black friday 2011, when playing temple run, i start the game, the first running sequence is a tad laggy and then its perfectly fine

iNoPhone

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
Well, the lag could also be caused by the annoying "Welcome Back" notification by Game Center. Anyway, wait a few seconds after launching the game and it will run fine. At least it did on my 4G. Also remove all running apps, which helps a bit the device.

Regarding the 5th gen model, is very expensive right now, having an A5 chip and 512MB, which are fine today, but probably will suffer with iOS 7 and newer versions.

appleZtouch

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2011
Temple Run 2 is lagging and stuttering horribly on my iPod Touch 4 Gen. Anybody else have any feedback?

Best solution is to restart touch 4 before playing the game. Sad that most 3d apps now lags on itouch 4. But I don't get why gta3 doesn't seems to lag that much. I think it's gpu heavy as well

krithikb007

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
India
Even i face the same problem in most of the games these days . Only solution is to restart the iPod so that there wont be much lag or crash.
I want to know whether installing many apps causes this. I do have 6 gb free and i have installed some 290 apps and games.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
Yes, you will notice lag in a lot of graphic intensive games and apps running on the iPod touch 4. I recommend getting the iPod touch 5 it's so much better.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
Yes, you will notice lag in a lot of graphic intensive games and apps running on the iPod touch 4. I recommend getting the iPod touch 5 it's so much better.

A lot of people don't have money for a brand new device. Especially since the iPod touch 5 is a bit expensive at $300

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
Having come out much later than Temple Run 1, however, it's probably optimised for the newer and more powerful iDevices - Not so much for the older ones.

That's just giving the developer an excuse to slack off on some of the work. An application should be optimized for every iOS device that is still being manufactured and sold directly from Apple.

hoodedwarbler12

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2012
Tennessee
Yeah I understand but I guess if they can't afford an iPod they should be at work instead of playing temple run don't you think? Btw the iPod 5 costs more than that, because 32GB is too little, for me it's 64 or more I hope Apple sells a 128GB iPod touch 6 next year :)
This is a pretty heartless thing to say. People less fortunate than you should still be able to have some leisure time, and no one should just spend $300+ without a thought. Also 32 GB is plenty for some people (including me).

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah I understand but I guess if they can't afford an iPod they should be at work instead of playing temple run don't you think? Btw the iPod 5 costs more than that, because 32GB is too little, for me it's 64 or more I hope Apple sells a 128GB iPod touch 6 next year :)

Speak for yourself.

And by the way, are you saying that for low-income people work should replace leisure? Hell, they'll likely be the sort of people who work a long day of physical labour, and thus will need leisure time more than anyone.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
That's just giving the developer an excuse to slack off on some of the work. An application should be optimized for every iOS device that is still being manufactured and sold directly from Apple.

They should do this, yes, but that doesn't mean they have. In this case it seems they haven't optimised it as well for older iDevices as they have for the newer ones.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Well, the lag could also be caused by the annoying "Welcome Back" notification by Game Center. Anyway, wait a few seconds after launching the game and it will run fine. At least it did on my 4G. Also remove all running apps, which helps a bit the device.

Regarding the 5th gen model, is very expensive right now, having an A5 chip and 512MB, which are fine today, but probably will suffer with iOS 7 and newer versions.

Is there a jailbreak tweak to get rid of that dang thing lol?

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Optimizing games for older hardware slows down the advancement of games. If stuff is being made not able to utilize newer hardware for the sake of compatibility with nearing 4 year old mobile hardware you're holding the industry back.

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA

That is such a rude thing to say. You don't know the individual situations of those people and thus have no room to talk. Some people cannot justify paying $100 more for something when there is a cheaper alternative.

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
There are alot of things wrong here. The retina screen of the iPT 4 has 4 as many pixels as the 3GS. Secondly, iOS devices definately do not have 2 GB RAM The most ram an iOS device has is 1 GB. If the current devices you are referring to are android devices, then although that is correct, I don't feel like that a device such as the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 can compare with any type of iPod touch.

Seriously?? Please re-check these God awful errors and re-post.

iHeartSox

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2013
Disable Game Center seems a way to obviously increase the FPS on my iPod touch 4.

Pause the game, and wait a little after open the game, will also have noticeable improvments for performence.

Cydia stuff might using the RAM all the time, unlike App Store apps releasing RAM automatically.

I'll not throw my iPod away, we are together so many months. We sleep together, and we out door together, so he can play music to me. He has my sweat, my tear, and my white loads. I'll still love him.

And my iPod touch 4 still served me pretty well. I admit I masturbate all day and have no money. But, hey, it's still one of the pure "Steve Jobs", right?

touchipods

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
Disable Game Center seems a way to obviously increase the FPS on my iPod touch 4.

Pause the game, and wait a little after open the game, will also have noticeable improvments for performence.

Cydia stuff might using the RAM all the time, unlike App Store apps releasing RAM automatically.

I'll not throw my iPod away, we are together so many months. We sleep together, and we out door together, so he can play music to me. He has my sweat, my tear, and my white loads. I'll still love him.

And my iPod touch 4 still served me pretty well. I admit I masturbate all day and have no money. But, hey, it's still one of the pure "Steve Jobs", right?

lmao Also depends on what iOS. iOS 5.1 is quite smooth, 5.1.1 more laggy. iOS 6 was quite laggy until 6.1 made it more smooth and 6.1.2 seems to have good performance although it removed useful feature- background audio in Safari.

iHeartSox

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2013
Is there a jailbreak tweak to get rid of that dang thing lol?

I don't know, but I know Game Center can be disabled.

(Okay below are my ********s, guy that I quoted here no need to see.)

The device is getting old, but hope it can still get some attention from Apple. And would be good if iOS 7 can run on it. Even it can't run game smooth, at least there will have more choice for costumers. And if once my iPod retired from gaming, it would have more functions than running iOS 6.

Or, just bring more performance for iOS 6.

Even if iOS 7 will not run on it, please, dear Apple, add Siri to it. Add Siri to it, then my iPod will feel greatful, and will die in peace.

DMH3006

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
I don't know, but I know Game Center can be disabled.

(Okay below are my ********s, guy that I quoted here no need to see.)

The device is getting old, but hope it can still get some attention from Apple. And would be good if iOS 7 can run on it. Even it can't run game smooth, at least there will have more choice for costumers. And if once my iPod retired from gaming, it would have more functions than running iOS 6.

Or, just bring more performance for iOS 6.

Even if iOS 7 will not run on it, please, dear Apple, add Siri to it. Add Siri to it, then my iPod will feel greatful, and will die in peace.

Apple adds siri,then every iPod owner comes running saying that with siri it has even less memory free to run apps. the iPod is already getting close to iPhone 3G memory levels,with it getting only around 80MB free of ram(according to a user on this forum) if they add siri which drops it around 10-15MB of ram,it would be at 65-70MB of free ram which is a very low value for a device capable of multitasking.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Manually close your other apps and see if it helps.

in b4 someone tells me that iOS manages memory well on its own, it doesn't..especially with the pathetic 256mb the iPT4 has.

I actually think the memory is more of a limitation than the processor is.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
Manually close your other apps and see if it helps.

in b4 someone tells me that iOS manages memory well on its own, it doesn't..especially with the pathetic 256mb the iPT4 has.

I actually think the memory is more of a limitation than the processor is.

Right, I can never run more than 4 apps. When I use my ipad mini I find it amazing that apps I used the night before are still in the background.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Right, I can never run more than 4 apps. When I use my ipad mini I find it amazing that apps I used the night before are still in the background.

This is an area that iOS severely needs to work on. Android actually handles this much better and definitely kills apps in the background. They also need to make a less awkward way of closing apps than the double click and then hit the tiny x's. A swipe gesture would help a ton, but another thing that android, windows phone, and bb10 have going for them is the dedicated back button can be used to back out of an app which closes it vs the home button which will leave it in the background. Closing an app in iOS is very annoying and cumbersome in comparison. Android's swipe to close in the multitasking window is nice as well. Apple also should have discontinued the ipod touch 4th generation a long time ago. 256mb and the a4 chip is just not enough today. Even the 5th gen and the ipad mini should have 1gb of ram.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.