Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GunZi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
i want to know how much fps some of you with the 680MX are getting? with Starcraft 2 on ultra.:)

pukingpixels

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Sweden
I just installed SC2 and played a couple of quick games against the AI with everything at max and I got about 30-40 fps on average and it drops to about 20 fps in big fights. This was in OSX.

Playable, yes but not good at all.

When playing as I used to do when I played it "hardcore" on the ladder, in tournaments etc with everything on the lowest possible settings I get over 300 fps on average.

GunZi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
hmm under 60 fps on OSX is a bit disappointing to be honest. would you recommend me to do a clean install of Windows 7 or just use a program so that i can use both OSX and Windows at the same time? like parallels

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i think if you go for 1920*1080 on ultra every imac late 2012 should work very well above 35fps

pukingpixels

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Sweden
i think if you go for 1920*1080 on ultra every imac late 2012 should work very well above 35fps

"Well above 35 fps" is not the same as locked at 60 fps. It's in fact a huge difference.

Imagine you're in a 50/50 fight where the player with the best micro wins the fight and gets a big advantage for the rest of the game and you're getting handicapped by 10-20 fps frame drops which makes it super hard to micro anything. You'll lose the fight and probably the game just because of the frame drops.

Sure you can cap the fps to about 30 and probably get used to playing the game at 30 fps but I doubt anyone really wants to do that considering they just dumped a lot of money on a new 27" iMac.

----------

hmm under 60 fps on OSX is a bit disappointing to be honest. would you recommend me to do a clean install of Windows 7 or just use a program so that i can use both OSX and Windows at the same time? like parallels

If you really want to play it on ultra just get a copy of windows 7 and run SC2 in windows. Parallels would probably be even worse than native OSX.

GunZi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
"Well above 35 fps" is not the same as locked at 60 fps. It's in fact a huge difference.

Imagine you're in a 50/50 fight where the player with the best micro wins the fight and gets a big advantage for the rest of the game and you're getting handicapped by 10-20 fps frame drops which makes it super hard to micro anything. You'll lose the fight and probably the game just because of the frame drops.

Sure you can cap the fps to about 30 and probably get used to playing the game at 30 fps but I doubt anyone really wants to do that considering they just dumped a lot of money on a new 27" iMac.

----------

If you really want to play it on ultra just get a copy windows 7 and run it SC2 in windows. Parallels would probably be even worse than native OSX.

At the moment i can only play on low settings, because i got such an outdated/crappy GPU (AMD 6630m). Anything from Medium to Ultra will work for me hehe :) i'm new to the mac system, so i dont know which program to run windows is the best. but i dont mind just playing on High or Medium Settings just as long as i get 50+ fps :) But it would be awesome if i could play on ultra with good fps, since im investing so much money into this computer.

I'm not a pro gamer in SC2, but im in silver league at the moment.

81Steven

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2011
I suggest wait 10.8.3 it should be graphic driver related reading around beta build...

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Trust me you can have micro on min 30 fps.. 30 is the minimal of a smooth gameplay..so

----------

in bootcamp i think you get an extra 10-15 more fps

pukingpixels

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Sweden
Trust me you can have micro on min 30 fps.. 30 is the minimal of a smooth gameplay..so

You're misunderstanding me. Of course you can micro on 30 fps (I use to play the original starcraft for years) but when the fps jumps up and down it makes it a lot more difficult than if you're on a locked fps. If that's 30 or 60 locked fps doesn't really matter but I'd rather play the game with lower settings and 60 fps than on ultra with 30 fps. 30 fps isn't smooth once you've been playing in 60 fps for some time.

But that's my opinion.

pukingpixels

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Sweden
At the moment i can only play on low settings, because i got such an outdated/crappy GPU (AMD 6630m). Anything from Medium to Ultra will work for me hehe :) i'm new to the mac system, so i dont know which program to run windows is the best. but i dont mind just playing on High or Medium Settings just as long as i get 50+ fps :) But it would be awesome if i could play on ultra with good fps, since im investing so much money into this computer.

I'm not a pro gamer in SC2, but im in silver league at the moment.

Yeah I know what you mean, I come from an old early 2008 24" iMac, 4GB ram, Geforce 8800 GS 512 MB. I managed to get 60 fps locked on that machine with everything on the lowest settings and that's pretty much how I play the game on my new 27" iMac.

You can customize the settings so that it still looks good but if you want a constant high fps it's not possible right now (might change when the new update comes from Apple) with all settings to Ultra.

It's either wait for the update and hope it will increase the performance or go windows.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Ok, in baseline imac 21.5" fusion drive 640M Geforce 8 GRAM- 1920*1080 Ultra settings with bootcamp win 7 Starcraft 2 runs between 72fps and in big battles 39-40-41 fps.

heinzgruber

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2013
i'm playing with everything maxed out and 2560 x 1440 pixel at constant 60 fps. im using bootcamp windows 7 64 bit and overlocked the 680mx stable with 200Mhz/300Mhz. it's amazing!!! :cool:

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
I have everything set to Ultra full screen, and I was averaging 80-90 during most play with rates over 100 in some situations. Even in the biggest battles, the lowest I saw it drop to was 45, but it was typically in the 50-60 range for most of the battle. I'd say the 45 was at the initial onset of battle, and as soon as units started dying, it jumped right back up. It was perfectly playable to me.

zonesey

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2009
Finland
I'm thinking about installing boot camp Windows 8 on my new 27 inch iMac as soon as I get it (hopefully in like 3 weeks). Do you know if Heart of the Swarm is going to run better on Windows 8 than on Windows 7?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
The bottomline is that Apple should really get their act together with the graphics performance.

However, there are some practical problems to achieving Windows-like graphics performance on OS X... modern Windows GPU drivers are basically a bunch of hacks and and specific optimisations to make certain games work faster. Sometimes they do not follow the API specification precisely, sometimes they do some things extra. Both Nvidia and ATI work closely with game developing studios in order to make sure that their drivers will offer as high performance as possible. I doubt that much of these 'optimisations' are easily portable to OS X. Nevertheless, I believe that Apple could improve the graphics performance by a good margin, and above all - make it consistent, if they invest more time into it. Let's see what 10.8.3 will bring...

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
My understanding is that the major reason that OS X does not have as good of performance as Windows is that OS X is lacking the equivalent of "Direct X" for the Mac platform.

MacFro

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
Trying out Starcraft 2 is one of the things i am really looking forward to when i eventually receive my new iMac.

I'm used to playing at 15 to 25 fps with all settings on low or medium on my Macbook Pro from 2007, so either way it will be an huge improvement :)

Could the performance in windows be because the windows version simply is better? That it is made for windows to begin with and then transferred to OSX?

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Actually when comparing the same pc with Windows 7 vs Windows 8, there is about a 7-10 percent performance in all games.

7-10% percent less or high ?:D

----------

@Macfro plz provide us your feedback after you play it or upload a video with gameplay

MacFro

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
I'll make sure to post my SC2 fps results in OSX when my machine arrives.

I ordered from a reseller 4 weeks ago. So should arrive any month now :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.