Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:01 PM   #1
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

A King for the first time in living memory.

There has just been a very special message from Queen Beatrix this evening at 19.00 CET.

She has announced her abucation in favour of her son Willem-Alexander.

We haven't had a King of the Netherlands since 1909. Both of our last two monarchs have abdicated Wilhelmina in 1948, and Juliana in 1980.

I personally think that a monarchy has no place in a modern state, it is a out dated concept. I do know that it is purely ceremonial, but I'm convinced that it's a throw back to a different time.

I have never been a royalist, I bare the royal family no ill will, but I do wish we were a republic.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:15 PM   #2
eric/

Interesting. I think it's ridiculous that this still exists, but at the same time it's nostalgic and cultural, and if the population wants it, go for it.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:56 PM   #3
jav6454
macrumors G5

Same can be said about the royals of all other countries that have them...
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:24 PM   #4
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Same can be said about the royals of all other countries that have them...
I suspect OP feels similarly about them. The only difference he lives in the Netherlands....
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:39 PM   #5
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybunny View Post
There has just been a very special message from Queen Beatrix this evening at 19.00 CET.

We haven't had a King of the Netherlands since 1909. Both of our last two monarchs have abdicated Wilhelmina in 1948, and Juliana in 1980.

I personally think that a monarchy has no place in a modern state, it is a out dated concept. I do know that it is purely ceremonial, but I'm convinced that it's a throw back to a different time.

I have never been a royalist, I bare the royal family no ill will, but I do wish we were a republic.
Congratulations to Her Majesty, Queen Beatrix, on her planned abdication; and congratulations, too, to the Heir Apparent, His Highness, Prince Willem-Alexander, on his investiture this coming April.

Of course, the very idea of a monarchy is a throw back to the values of an earlier age, and has a limited place (if any) in a modern constitutional and democratic state, and, of course, the idea that royal inheritance should trump elected legitimacy as a reason for appointment as head of state is equally outmoded.

Historically, the problem of monarchy - apart from its sheer elitism - has always been the question of a secure succession, one that was accepted by the elites, if not the public. How did you preserve the line, the Family, while ensuring that idiots and cretins (and those born from the distaff side of the blanket) could not rule, even if they were of your blood? How could you relinquish power legitimately, without losing your head? Or dying in your bed? - (And, for much of recorded history these were the bleak choices open to you, in this situation.)

However, more recently, some of the most egalitarian societies on the planet have managed to create, (or encourage the evolution of) societies - and institutional structures - which somehow allow egalitarian values to permeate the conduct of the institutions of the state while simultaneously preserving traditions (such as a Royal Family shorn of most of its power and much of its mystery as constitutional monarchies usually are) that yet still command loyalty and ensure continuity.

An evolving tradition of Royal abdication (where the Monarch is neither overthrown, murdered, nor dies in their bed) allows for a timely and seemly succession, while preserving the outward forms of the institution.

And so the Dutch are to be congratulated for finding a way to make such an office, and position, meaningful, (by encouraging change to take place in such a way) while yet preserving the appearance of respect for a deeper set of traditions which allow for an ongoing accommodation with the past which yet meets the needs of the present. Well done.
Scepticalscribe is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:16 PM   #6
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
<snip>
Always insightful, thoughtful, and informative. Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:21 AM   #7
niuniu
Banned

I'm hoping for a British republic and Republic the party has gained a lot of support recently. Can't see it happening in my lifetime though. Was sorry to see the Netherlands not make the bold step.

Boggles the mind how we can still be so backwards in this day and age.

http://www.republic.org.uk/
niuniu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:28 AM   #8
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
I'm hoping for a British republic and Republic the party has gained a lot of support recently. Can't see it happening in my lifetime though. Was sorry to see the Netherlands not make the bold step.

Boggles the mind how we can still be so backwards in this day and age.

http://www.republic.org.uk/
Just the opposite to here, back when Beatrix became Queen in 1980 there were more people who wanted the monarchy gone.
After the scandal of the Lockheed, it was touch and go if the monarchy would survive. But the Dutch PM of the day Joop den Uyl lost his nerve, and buried important papers.

But all that was 33 years ago and Beatrix has been a model of propriety, and has over time won the trust of the people.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:37 AM   #9
jeremy h
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehaathi View Post
Always insightful, thoughtful, and informative. Thanks!
I agree. A very good post. This modern habit of abdicating sounds a lot better than getting a red hot poker shoved somewhere unmentionable.

(Also - Charles has probably run out and bought every Dutch newspaper he can find and left them lying around the palace.)
jeremy h is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:21 AM   #10
GermanyChris
Banned

I like the idea, it keeps us in touch with our past..maybe even evoke a little national pride
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:27 AM   #11
Solomani
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybunny View Post

Oh goodie. Maybe this will rub off on the English, because the Queendom of Great Britain (and Northern Ireland) don't seem to believe in male monarchs. If I remember correctly, the last time the Brits had a bonafide strongman as their "king" was..... Queen Victoria.
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion