Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spidder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Is it normal, that the screen turns redish/blueish very rapidly when changing viewing angles? (especially on white screens like mails/safari etc)

Didn't notice that on my 4. Is that normal?

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
It's normal for LCD tech. Not every iphone 5 screen will look or behave identical.

Spidder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Ok, sounds logical.

I made a photo. iP5 and iPad2, both 100% brightness and both showing 100% black picture. While the iPad2 seems to be ok, the iP5 screen is kinda TN panel like. Can somebody confirm that the iP5 has such bad viewing angles?

1gp1t1.jpg

btw the picture shows exactly what I see with my eyes.

Last edited:

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
My ipad3 and iPhone 4S match your photo pretty much exactly. iPads definitely seem to have a bit better viewing angles. That said, the iPhones screens are still much better than TN panel tech. The brightness might become uneven at steep angles, but the massive colour shifting and inverting found with TN is thankfully not present!

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I think the i5 screen still looks incredible from all angles. Yes i actually look at my phones screen sometimes at a different angle to see how it looks it has great viewing angles imo one of the best viewing angles on a display

S

syd430

This thread is strange. I've always found that the iphone 5 and and even 4S has better viewing angles than the ipad 2/3/4.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I don't get it. My iP5 can be read at any angle, it's legible practically sideways!! :confused:

arc123

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2012
Hi Spidder,

IPS displays have what is often referred to as "IPS glow" which includes the effect shown in your photo. I'm not sure what you mean by the display turns redish/blueish rapidly when changing viewing angles, though.

Spidder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Thanks for all the answers!

@arc123:

I mean white pages or white areas of the screen are getting darker, like I you would expect it when changing the viewing angle, but in addition to this normal effect, white is turning very quickly in very small steps from redish to blueish and vice versa. It looks like those white areas are twinkeling or flickering from white into grey with a rapidly changing color gradient.

When I put the phone on the table and rotate it quickly, it completely goes nuts with a rainbow-like color effect show. Its like the LCD is on LSD.

And no, my eyes are fine and I'm not doing drugs ;) My iPad2 and all the other LCD-Screens I have are fine and doesn't show this effect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.